Atheism has finally found its spiritual leader

Glennn

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 03:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yeah cicerone, what are you doing discussing things in a discussion forum? How dare you?! Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 03:25 pm
I'm an "atheist" for the same reason that i'm an "a-tooth-fairyist," i don't believe it, and i don't believe it because the proposition is preposterous. That crap about a spiritual leader is just the kind of horsie poop theists would buy into.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 03:26 pm
@Glennn,
I agree. Anything can happen in any scenario. Human behavior is not predictable even from the same family. That's the reason why we have psychology/psychiatrists that studies human behavior. Many abnormal behavior can be blamed on the chemistry in the brain.
Many doctors use drugs (and electric shock) to change the behavior of patients.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 03:45 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
Here, you are telling me that, where behavior is concerned, there is no cause and effect relationship between what I do, and the results of what I do.

I'm not saying that there is no cause and effect relationship in regard to behavior. I'm saying that the ascribing of cause and effect to behaviors and outcomes is a subjective endeavor that results in perceived notions of cause and effect.
Glennn

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 03:54 pm
@InfraBlue,
It is true that, concerning behavior, you cannot predict exactly how an effect will manifest from a given behavioral cause. But that does not negate the reality of the cause and effect mechanism at play. Some effects are predictable, and some are not.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 09:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Where's that lake?
Damned if I know.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 09:40 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Are you merely posting for attention's sake?
Mis-spelling God (Goddd) is ridiculous - Seeing as you, typically, have naff-all to add to 'philosophical' bases.

Pointless-response-pending, I presume...?
I did not misspell Goddd, however you needlessly hyphenated misspell. Also, should you add something of philosophical consequence that was not already painfully obvious, I will be the first to congratulate you on your fine efforts.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 10:39 pm
Go to a professional sporting match - or college - heck, or high school. if them folks ain't religious, I can't say GO SEAHAWKS!
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2016 10:21 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Go to a professional sporting match - or college - heck, or high school. if them folks ain't religious, I can't say GO SEAHAWKS!

You're muddling your meanings, again.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2016 10:47 am
@InfraBlue,
What is more interesting about sports events is that both teams pray to win.
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2016 01:45 pm
@cicerone imposter,
God must put money on the games.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2016 01:56 pm
@InfraBlue,
Since he already knows who is going to win, it's a win-win.
0 Replies

TADPAUL

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2016 07:02 pm
logically speaking, in the first place, how can you negate something which does not exist?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2016 07:05 pm
@TADPAUL,
It may not exist, but millions believe in it. Belief is very powerful.
TADPAUL

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2016 07:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
i cannot falsify your statement, because you use "may". still, even the concept of a unicorn, we have an idea of what it is. its feature and qualities. it is not existing per se, but formally.
fresco

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2016 11:44 pm
@TADPAUL,
On the basis that all 'existence' is relative, not absolute, argument about 'existence of God' is futile. Even 'physicality' is relative to perceptual apparatus of humans. Indeed any absolutist position in any domain can be deemed 'religious'.
roger

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2016 12:20 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Are you merely posting for attention's sake?

Lookit who's posting that!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2016 12:23 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:
...any absolutist position in any domain can be deemed 'religious'...
I am absolutely certain that I am not omniscient.
roger

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2016 12:31 am
@Chumly,
I will pray to/for you.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2016 10:39 am
@Chumly,
I'm just happy being a human, and having lived during this period of our planet. I have seen much progress in science, technology, and the understanding of our environment. That we can fly half way around the world in one day is an amazing feat. I have been fortunate to have visited all five continents, and 83 countries. Some have flown to the moon and back.
Look at all the electronic gadgets that are available, and much of it were invented right in my neighborhood called Silicon Valley.
My religion is science and technology; and we are only at the infant stages of what is possible.
0 Replies