Career Confusion

sery

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 03:38 am
I studied interior design but I no longer want to pursue a career in that field because I think I would be of better use in the graphic design field, specifically doing illustrations. I haven't worked in any design firm(worked other jobs) after graduating and it's almost been a year and a half.
Been trying to figure out what I really wanted to do so spend self learning illustrator, photoshop and free hand drawing, I have very little material to show to people since I just started out and I'm doubtful weather I'll get to do an internship in a graphic design firm and because of the fear of rejection I haven't even tried because even internships have such high crieterias.
Since I don''t know much about how even an illustration firm works, all I'm doing is finding projects that interests me and completing it.

Should I just go look for a job in an interior design firm for money and pursue a masters in illustration? (which again is doubtful because I have very little material to show) Or just continue doing what I'm doing.. do fake projects in the name of creating a portfolio and eventually look for an internship?
Also I don't seem to find any companies that do just illustrations from where I am. What do I do? I could reallly use some advice

jespah

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 05:28 am
@sery,
Take an internship. And yeah, that means you won't be paid. But you are far more likely to get that. I highly doubt you'd be hired with a tiny/nonexistent portfolio, anyway.

In the meantime, see if you can take at least one graphic design class, preferably something which you could use for MA credit if you ended up going in that direction. But do try to build a portfolio. Also, if you aren't getting paid, you will need to support yourself somehow. Rich uncle? Waiting tables? Selling on eBay? I don't know; you tell me.

It is not easy to change careers/ambitions but it is possible. However, generally what happens is, you take a massive pay cut and eat a lot of ramen for a while, until everything is sorted out. In your case, that means you need to get a portfolio, and you need to make some industry contacts.
0 Replies