Mensa- does anybody know about it or is a member?

Roberta

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 09:28 pm
A friend of mine was a member of Mensa in another part of the country and enjoyed it very much. When she moved to New York, she found the group here less congenial, and many of the members seemed like intellectual snobs. The latter is the reason I didn't join.

Bottom line: I think your Mensa experience depends on the group in your area.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 11:36 pm
Don't you need a really good education to even think about qualifying?
Roberta

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2016 01:22 am
@edgarblythe,
I don't think formal education is as important as knowledge. Although IQs are supposedly measuring intelligence, I have my doubts. But there might be some logic required.

I can't remember. My last IQ test was in the stone age.
roger

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2016 01:28 am
@Roberta,
Was that while you were proofreading cave drawings?
Roberta

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2016 05:27 am
@roger,
Folks weren't big on editing and proofreading back in those days. Making corrections was a nightmare.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2016 10:51 am
@Roberta,
IQ tests belong in the stone age. It's the character of the person that counts; not how high his IQ score.
momoends

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2016 05:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
ok let make this clear, cause as usual some of the hienas are trying to reap some flesh apart:
1- i haven´t said "i could be a member " as look at me. Im not proud to tell this publicly: It was 5 o'clock in the morning, i was back home too drunk and stoned to sleep so I did the test to kill some time....that´s why i said "it seems that i could be a member" instead of saying i´m sooooooo intelligent that i passed the test being barely conscious... in fact i just wanted the reason to ask about them clear: i took the test and realized i knew nothing about the organization i was, in a way, applying to be part of
2- my thread is about mensa.... not about iq being the most important thing to judge a person... it was not about showing off at all: in fact the only ones shouting out loud their professional achievements and what a successful people they are are those claiming being proud of having an IQ is being an arrogant and prepotent being....... (it seems bragging about their status and money is not being prepotent but bragging about other things is)... i do apologize for bragging about my IQ... that is?.... (c´mon make a guess... it´s not written anywhere, and you know it)
3- what do you mean good education? do you know something about mine? are you telling me someone that is illiterate shouldn't be allowed to be a member...???? isn´t it the character of the person that counts?!!
more so, having a high IQ implies laking all of the characteristics important to define a person as you say.

Im getting tired
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2016 05:24 pm
@momoends,
I like this answer on high IQ:
Quote:

Aaron Endelman, Senior-level Software Engineer in Silicon Valley
One of the ways we Westerners make sense of things is to attempt to quantify, or measure, them. The problem with that approach is that many concepts cannot be quantified, only qualified.

Can you measure love? Most people would probably answer "no", because love is not a quantity. Can you measure intelligence? I don't think intelligence is a quantity, so I'd say no, you can't measure it either.

So we come to IQ, which tells you how your IQ test score compares to others'. The age for which your test score is average is called your "mental age" . Your IQ is the ratio of your mental age to your actual age, times 100.

Note that IQ means "intelligence quotient". It's just a ratio. Its original purpose was to examine students to see who could use more help and who could use more challenges. It has become grossly abused as a predictor of someone's life path and, worse, to "slot" children into "suitable" schooling paths.

If someone thinks that intelligence is measurable, the onus is on him to define precisely what intelligence is, because only things that are well-defined can be measured.

I think that intelligence is far more than the ability to do well on a written test.

The last sentence says it best.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2016 05:31 pm
@momoends,
Simply put, high IQ doesn't necessarily translate into professional or human success.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2016 05:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
Ah, I miss Gracie.

I am hoping fb folks or other people know she is ok.
0 Replies

momoends

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2016 05:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
IQ means "intelligence quotient". It's just a ratio. Its original purpose was to examine students to see who could use more help and who could use more challenges
I agree if you meant there are so many different aspects defining a person, but you say that as opposing an supposed conception of mine that having an IQ makes me better...... that´s your fault, not mine..... saying i have a high IQ sounds as relevant and important to me as saying my eyes are green..... it´s the one immediately engaging themselves in a frenzy speech about IQ being NOT important and assuming the other to feel somehow better than the rest, that actually sees and perceived IQ as important

anyway im tired of this ... really just 2 o 3 people gave some information about what i asked about.... the other ones, you may be extremely educated and highly positioned on your company... but something is missing if you seem to see any thread posted as an offense or a chance to spread some hate and bad vibrations all over the forum
momoends

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2016 06:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
have i ever say that?

Im old enough and have gone through many hard experiences to have a solid opinion about life....
What make you think i didn´t know that already?

This is about MENSA!!! no about you patronizing someone you know nothing about.... you may be surprised about my education, values and fairness man.... I´ve been aware of my hight mental potential since I were a child and, believe me, you don´t need to tell me about how overrated it is...... it ******* sucks!
Go lecture some one else please!! im quitting on able2know as an information and knowledge source.... i even consider becoming a prepotent despotic user as many seen here... but it´s just not in me
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2016 06:16 pm
@momoends,
My statement is speaking in generalities; not about one specific person. There are always exceptions to any generality. Sorry you felt offended. I was just trying to include another perspective to your subject which I think is pertinent.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2016 06:17 pm
@momoends,
Huh?

you asked for opinions and now you are reprimanding those who spoke.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2016 06:24 pm
@ossobuco,
You are welcome to keep talking but you have been fairly unclear, not that we will tell you what you want to hear, but we don't know that either.
0 Replies

momoends

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2016 06:50 pm
@cicerone imposter,
that would be great if you have treated my thread respectfully instead of reducing it to a discussion about something it was´t even there on the first place but allows you to enjoy yourself

Its about one specific person cause i was asking about me needing to know a lot more about mensa having done the test and being offered to be a member.
You want to speak in generalities.... post on a thread about generalities.
You want to include another perspective to your subject that is pertinent.... the only one giving himself such an importance is you and those that thought asking about MENSA, made me somebody who needs to be told off because of posting such an "Stone age" thread....

I don´t believe you are really sorry i felt offended, but .... who cares, what hurts me though is realizing narrow minded and short sighted people are the ones ruling the world, no matter how insignificant the situation.... a meant to be funny thread transformed into a pile of judging posts just like that...
It seems asking my question was too simple to some people´s intellectual standards... i thought it would be fun (for a change)
momoends

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2016 06:57 pm
@Roberta,
thanks for the information, @Roberta
momoends

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2016 06:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
qualifying to what?
"a really good education"..... mmm
0 Replies

momoends

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2016 07:03 pm
@ossobuco,
oh no man! your don´t get to accuse me of that.... but considering your posts it´s not that surprising you misunderstood what i said and end telling people off again about something they´ve never done or ever crossed their minds....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2016 07:05 pm
@momoends,
Apparently you have no sense of humor. Mensa will not help that. We don't all just hate you, we say what we think, usually in a few seconds. Read it and weep, or read it and laugh.

Me, I take Mensa as a money factory, but I have no proof.