Mensa- does anybody know about it or is a member?

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 12:17 am
I would like to know more about MENSA, anything you could tell me about it, your opinition, rumors or even if they are what they claim to be. Do this organitations have as much power as they seem to have in the world ruling scene?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 5,108 • Replies: 72

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 12:46 am
@momoends,
What do you mean, " world ruling scene"?

Quote:
Mission

Mensa's constitution lists three purposes: "to identify and to foster human intelligence for the benefit of humanity; to encourage research into the nature, characteristics, and uses of intelligence; and to provide a stimulating intellectual and social environment for its members".[13]

To this end, the organization is also involved with programs for gifted children, literacy, and scholarships, and it also holds numerous gatherings.
roger

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 01:03 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Geeze. If I didn't know all that, I guess I may not be Mensa material.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 01:24 am
@roger,
Hahaha
0 Replies

momoends

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 01:38 am
@FOUND SOUL,
It was said in a playful and ironic way. Some people think it to be close to masonic community and, therefore (?), hightly influent haahahhaahah and some think it just a bunch of freakies busting their egoes and claimimg to be exceptional minds.
As a result, it.remains.unclear what,s the real thing
(Im supposed to be «preliminary» freaky enough to be a member)
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 02:25 am
@momoends,
Quote:
some think it just a bunch of freakies busting their egoes and claimimg to be exceptional minds.

Yes, this is my view. Back in the 1970s I took a 'free test' to see if I could join, and got a letter back saying I could, and if I sent some money I could (1) see my result (2) join Mensa. I had already met people who claimed to be members, and most if not all seemed to be socially awkward males with a need to prove something. This, and the fact that I would have pay to see the result, put me off. It did occur to me that not everyone who claims to be a member is telling the truth.

momoends

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 02:30 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Hahahhahaah here in spain it seems common thing members keep it secret to almost everybody, so at least «the need to prove something» is not the issue, if we are talking about social acceptance.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 03:07 am
I wasn't completely open about my curiosity about Mensa. At the time I took the test I was interested in a woman who claimed to be a Mensa member, and it had occurred to me that if I was also a member she might take me more seriously. Anyhow, I decided not to pursue membership for the reasons I gave, and I now see that I was also deciding I didn't want to chase this woman in that way. Last I heard of her she was an alcoholic.
momoends

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 03:13 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Wow! Lucky you, then!
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 03:16 am
@momoends,
Quote:
Wow! Lucky you, then!

Exactly.
0 Replies

timur

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 05:19 am
Tes yeux noirs wrote:
I had already met people who claimed to be members, and most if not all seemed to be socially awkward males

You talking about OmSigDavid, aren't you?
Miller

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 10:03 am
@timur,
timur wrote:

Tes yeux noirs wrote:
I had already met people who claimed to be members, and most if not all seemed to be socially awkward males

You talking about OmSigDavid, aren't you?

David was a member of Mensa. He was a criminal lawyer and the brightest, sensitive and most intelligent person on both Abuzz and A2K. He certainly was not the least bit socially awkward.

I believe that David is deceased, but he is not, nor will he ever be forgotten.

I'll never forget him and moreover, I don't appreciate anyone speaking ill of David or of any other deceased member of Abuzz or A2K.

Rest in peace, David.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 01:27 pm
On being asked his IQ, Stephen Hawking is alleged to have said "I have no idea. People who boast about their IQ are losers.".
0 Replies

timur

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 01:31 pm
Miller wrote:
David was a member of Mensa. He was a criminal lawyer and the brightest, sensitive and most intelligent person on both Abuzz and A2K. He certainly was not the least bit socially awkward.

I beg to differ.

However, if David is dead, RIP..
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 01:32 pm
@Miller,
Quote:
Rest in peace, David.

He was certainly a big part of this community, whether he chose to leave the board or was ushered out of life he is missed.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 01:34 pm
Here is a former discussion of the topic
http://able2know.org/topic/176266-1
ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 02:21 pm
@Miller,
David was indeed very bright and I miss him, much as I tossed him on and off of ignore for being obsessive. I don't regret either - he was bright, and, obsessive.

A son of one of my cousins (Cal Tech) joined for a bit. He is interesting as he started out the world's quietest kid and had different experiences as he grew up (street racer, etc.) I remember him as barely talking at our Christmas get togethers, though more and more each year. When I last saw him he was well into the tech community, and he and his wife and daughter were clearly happy to see me show up. They gave me a vietnamese luncheon - they knew I was wacko for vietnamese food and she was from there. One of my paintings was on the wall and that didn't look like a new positioning.

I have a very faint memory of being solicited myself, but am not sure. When I am not interested, I drop stuff fast. Maybe it was in a dream state.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 03:25 pm
Declaring you could have been a member of Mensa (if you wanted) isn't worth much in a forum of, largely, anonymous strangers.

I could be a member of Mensa...if I wanted

ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 03:34 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
was that an answer to me?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 03:35 pm
@ossobuco,
No it wasn't