Should the 2016 Olympics be ditched in its entirety?

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2016 07:19 am
http://i68.tinypic.com/2njcwm.jpg
http://i63.tinypic.com/21479e9.jpg
An Ominous Start to the Rio de Janeiro Olympicst

Rio 2016 Olympics: What Brazil is worrying about with 100 days to go

Death, destruction: 5 signs Rio's not ready for the Olympics

5 Reasons Why 2016 Summer Olympics Should Be Cancelled

Rampant crime, the viral threat named Zika, post-apocalyptic levels of pollution, Russian's ongoing steroid scandal, political scandals rocking the top levels of Brazil's national government, etc....

Personally, if it were up to me, we'd never hold another Olympics again.

View best answer, chosen by tsarstepan
rosborne979

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2016 09:05 am
@tsarstepan,
In general I like the Olympics. Some very amazing moments come from them. But if I had to choose one to attend, this wouldn't be the one.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2016 10:33 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
post-apocalyptic levels of pollution,

I've been meaning to look up if that bay that is filled with raw sewage, which they intend for athletes to swim in, has been cleaned up yet. I'm suspecting not.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2016 11:48 am
@tsarstepan,
More good news....
Rio declares state of financial disaster before start of Summer Olympics

Price is a high hurdle for fans attending the Olympics

U.S. Olympic team rounding into form but won't have LeBron James in Rio

Zika, doping, sewage, corruption and more: Let Rio Olympics be the last
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 01:29 pm
@tsarstepan,
Seeing as certain parties have engaged in fk..g-Up Brazil by 'psyop' tactics - Best avoid it.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 01:18 pm
I've loved the Olympics for most of my life, but I believe it's time to shut them down.

The Games are utterly corrupt

Rio was never capable of being the host city and yet they were awarded the bid...why?

First and foremost - bribes

Secondly, a silly PC sentiment that favors 2nd and 3rd world nations.
engineer

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 02:22 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I've love the Olympics, but I agree they are corrupt and they have also gotten ridiculously expensive. It should be about the sport, not about the show or the TV rights or the politics. On the plus side, for some sports, the Olympics is all there is. For those athletes, losing the Olympics means no shot at ever pursuing their sports at the highest levels.

But yes, 2016 should either be moved or cancelled.
0 Replies

mwinslow

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2016 04:51 pm
@tsarstepan,
Olympics are an amazing spectacle of human athleticism andI love to watch them. But countries who's economy is already a disaster should have no business in hosting them. It costs the country more than the money that's generated. Look at the disaster in Greece. All kinds of "white elephant" stadiums that are rotting away and were never used since the Olympics in 2004. Many speculate that it caused the country to go into BK.
roger

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2016 04:58 pm
@mwinslow,
Aw now! Rome has stadiums that haven't been used since we fed Christians to the lions. Want to know who won?
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 03:45 pm
@roger,
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 03:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
http://i67.tinypic.com/25uocps.jpg
All five construction companies used in the 2016 Rio Summer Olympics....
mark noble

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2016 07:46 am
@roger,
Most christians were tied to staves, covered in animal-fats and set alight - As stadia and streetlighting.
That's humorous - Is it?
0 Replies

mwinslow

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 04:46 pm
@tsarstepan,
It's only getting better in Brazil. Rio Drug-Testing Lab Is Suspended by Antidoping Regulator (WADA). That's how corrupt it is in Rio that their labs aren't even allowed to test the athletes blood and urine samples. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/25/sports/olympics/rio-drug-testing-lab-is-suspended-by-wada.html?_r=0
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 05:11 pm
This is a mess of major proportions, but it was all foreseeable.

I have been interested in Rio from my childhood, much as my fancy for Rome, via my fourth grade teacher. I differ from her, not being in adulthood religious, but I've since still been interested in Rome and Rio.

I've no advice to the participating parties re the Olympics, as all seem corrupt. A sort of world wide game under odd auspices.
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2016 09:28 am
Oy vey -

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/07/05/super-bacteria-rio-olympics/86698852/
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 09:33 am
@ossobuco,
Good response.
I agree.

Why do you think 'Brazil' is being ousted from the world-forum?

Rouseff? Oil-fields? Non-acclimitisation?

I know, btw - Just curious as to 'alternate'-perspectives......?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2016 11:23 am
http://i67.tinypic.com/igdhxg.jpg
Welcome to Hell
rosborne979

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2016 11:30 am
@tsarstepan,
What was Rio like back when the decision to have the Olympics there was made, I wonder. Was it obvious back then, or did this situation sneak up on everyone even with reasonable foresight?
oralloy

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2016 01:33 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
What was Rio like back when the decision to have the Olympics there was made, I wonder. Was it obvious back then, or did this situation sneak up on everyone even with reasonable foresight?

No one knew that they were going to have athletes swimming in raw sewage, but there was some question as to Brazil's ability to adequately prepare.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2016 07:13 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Rio was chosen in 2009. Rio de Janeiro has always been infamous for its high levels of crime.

Let me refer you to several high profile documentaries about Brazil:
Waste Land (2010), about a mountain of garbage where an entire village resides.

Bus 174 (2002): Crime has always been a problem in Rio.

One of the most famous crime films of all time is set in Rio de Janeiro. City of God (2002).

1000 kidnappings in 2012

International statistics on crime and justice (2010) - United Nations Office on ...

Homicide rates by decade:
Check out the 2000s.