WTF is going on in Paris - 2016

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2016 06:54 am
Mob violence in lawless Paris: Terrifying video shows 'woman tourist' viciously attacked by marauding youths in city deserted by police despite 'state of emergency' and Euros rampage

From the US State Dept Facebook page:
Quote:
Traveling or living in France?
The U.S. Embassy in France informs U.S. citizens that several national unions across a variety of sectors continue strikes in protest of proposed labor laws. In addition to ongoing strikes, these unions have called for nationwide general strikes on June 23 and June 28. Affected sectors include, but are not limited to, the national rail network, air traffic control, airline pilots, the Paris public transportation system, energy, and truck transport.

Travelers are advised to verify the status of their flights, trains, or other public transportation services prior to their travel. Travelers are advised that these strikes could result in delays or cancelations of trains, flights, and other transportation services.

Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.

The following strikes have been announced beginning on or after Thursday, June 23:

Multi-sector — National strikes have been called for Thursday, June 23 and Tuesday, June 28. Affected sectors include energy, maritime, public transportation, taxis, education, public services, private sector enterprises, postal service, sanitation workers, and health.
The following strikes are ongoing:

Rail – The national unions which represents rail workers renewed their call for strikes limiting rail services along the TGV, RER and SNCF networks. The “unlimited strike” started on May 31 and is ongoing though with variable impact.
Paris-area Public Transportation – The union representing the Paris metro area transportation (RATP) called for an “unlimited strike,” which started on June 2, of all public transportation services, including the Paris metro, buses, and RER trains. This strike too is of variable impact.
Travelers can also track updates on Twitter through services such as Aéroports de Paris (@ParisAeroport) or your local airport or air carrier, the Prefecture de Police for your area (@PrefPolice is the one for Paris), SNCF (@SNCF), and your metro or rail line. French news sources such as BFMTV, Le Parisien, and France24 TV (available in English or French) are also likely to carry information about the strikes’ impact.

I have to go there in 2 weeks, what's the deal French people? Safe? Is it safe?

http://www.artvehicle.com/content/asides/AV-37-1228768613.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,191 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2016 06:56 am
@McGentrix,
In two weeks, the EURO 2016 will have finished.
The strikes will go on,I suppose.

But additionally, it's Bastille Day around time, usually not the calmest period. Wink
mark noble

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 01:39 pm
@McGentrix,
Wales are partying over their euro win vs N.Ire?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 02:33 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter, I like your new signature line.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 03:11 pm
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 04:23 pm
@McGentrix,
My memory from when I was paying attention, mostly on italy but also re france, was that europeans planed strikes as one day affairs and announced that a head of time. I take it as meant to be protest but not to wreck city life ad infinitum. Walter surely knows more, and I do remember stuff getting out of hand on occasion (Walter knows more).
0 Replies