goodln

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 11:27 am
Hey guys, I am a lazy college kid who has been spoiled by Xbox voice commands. It is a great feature that I can turn my Xbox on by simply yelling at it, but it feels like such a moot point because I have to manually turn my TV on anyway. I am looking for a relatively simple (and effective) way to make my (dumb ((not smart)) ) TV voice activated. It only needs to be turned on and off by voice and I would be happy. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

P.S.
I am studying computer engineering so I am probably a bit more capable technology-wise than the general public.

P.P.S
I realize this will likely involve a micro-controller and thus if anyone has recommendations that would be nice.

TL:DR
I want to yell at my TV to have it turn on and off. I am a bit more advanced than the general population.

parados

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 11:54 am
@goodln,
Assuming your TV has a remote it might be easiest to make a stationary remote you can yell at.

Many ways to do that:
Get a cheap android tablet with an IR blaster (that can function as a tv remote) and write an always on app to listen and respond to your voice to send the IR signal.

Get a Raspberry Pi and attach an IR LED and a microphone. Then write a program to listen for your voice and fire the LED in the required sequence.

Tear apart an existing remote. Wire the on off switch on the remote to a sound activated circuit such as this one from Amazon-
https://www.amazon.com/Elenco-Sound-Activated-Switch-Soldering/dp/B00123COBW
Then you can clap twice to turn it on and off.
goodln

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 12:03 pm
@parados,
Thanks! I have been looking at going that second route as my room has a lot of traffic so a sound sensor would be an issue and I am more comfortable with hardware than software. Do you have any specific suggestions as to the model of RPi?
maxdancona

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 12:20 pm
@goodln,
Why not have the microphone in your hands and use the network to control your tv. I think that is how actual voice controlled TVs work.\
0 Replies