My Computer's Appearance Is Changing On Me!!

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 02:09 pm
At the beginning of the year, I got a new computer, loaded with Windows XP Professional. The first thing that I did was to change the look of the desktop back to the old Windows 98 style, with which I was comfortable and familiar. I even used the plain turquoise background that had served me well for so long.

Well! I turned on the computer a few minutes ago, and everything is fancy schmancy. The desktop is this garish blue. Everything looks 3D. I remembered that what I was seeing was the default XP look, before I changed it. I went into control panel, and changed everything back to my liking.

Does this indicate any problem with my software, or simply a passing glitch? I might add that I recently downloaded the service pack 2. Any connection?

I would appreciate any input. Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,387 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 12:07 am
Re: My Computer's Appearance Is Changing On Me!!
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Does this indicate any problem with my software, or simply a passing glitch?

Perhaps you logged in with a different Windows account?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 04:19 am
Nope- I am the only one who sets up the computer account, and it's generic. I set it up that I don't have to log in. This morning, when I turned on the computer, the toolbar had the XP look again, but the desktop had the right color.

When I went into the control panel, and changed it back to "Windows Classic", the color of the desktop was back to that harsh blue. I fixed it, but I am really wondering why it is happening! Of itself, it is no big deal, but I am wondering if it is indicative of a more serious problem.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 06:30 am
Re: My Computer's Appearance Is Changing On Me!!
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Does this indicate any problem with my software, or simply a passing glitch?

Unless it happens on a regular basis, it is most likely just a passing glitch.

Phoenix32890 wrote:
When I went into the control panel, and changed it back to "Windows Classic", the color of the desktop was back to that harsh blue.

Most Windows "themes" (including Windows Classic) include default settings for the background color & image. That's normal for it to switch colors like that when applying a new theme.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 08:09 am
Quote:
Unless it happens on a regular basis, it is most likely just a passing glitch.
Shocked

Monger- This morning, I had left the house and turned off the computer. When I returned, and started it, it was in classic mode, but it froze. (It has never given me that problem before.) Then I restarted, and the computer was in Windows XP mode, with the desktop color that was what I wanted, but it worked. I did change the appearance back to classic, but I am beginning to think that something is going wrong.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 08:41 am
I've had this happen within programs, without any apparant reason, notably Excel, which I use almost as often as Peachtree. Usually, it's just a different series of keystrokes to get to my file, but it's a bit disconcerting to see these things mutating. The backup program seems to require slightly different procedures from time to time. It seems odd that the same procedure produces different results.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 08:43 am
Well Rog, at least I am not alone!
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 04:45 pm
I'd say it has links to SP2... but I can't support my statement with arguments
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 07:38 pm
Roger...huh? You've lost me. How does that relate to what Phoenix described?

Phoenix32890 wrote:
Monger- This morning, I had left the house and turned off the computer. When I returned, and started it, it was in classic mode, but it froze. (It has never given me that problem before.) Then I restarted, and the computer was in Windows XP mode, with the desktop color that was what I wanted, but it worked. I did change the appearance back to classic, but I am beginning to think that something is going wrong.

Elements of the Windows appearance reverting back to their defaults after after a system crash & improper shutdown (which will prevent Windows from saving your settings on shutdown) does not sound like anything to worry about, unless it starts happening on a regular basis. (Two times, one after a crash, doesn't sound like a big deal to me.)

Now, if you think the crash indicated any sort of problem, well that may be, but there hasn't been any specifics about that.

At this point, if it were my own computer, I wouldn't be too worried.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 11:49 pm
Once, long ago and far away, a computer I had kept reverting to ... ack, plaid. I am not kidding. I fiddled and brought back the desktop each time.

Let me cut to the short hairs and say it was the battery. I didn't know before that that computers had batteries. I don't know if they do now either. But they did that week.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 08:17 am
All computers have batteries. They serve a couple purposes...one being keeping the computer's clock ticking when power is off, another being suppling a trace voltage (when the power is off) to your CMOS...a chip on your motherboard which stores some base settings (this does not include your Windows desktop color or wallpaper!!--so I'm not sure what unholy demon possessed osso's computer).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 10:20 am
Monger, I can't remember if that was my old old old old pc, a 1983 Sanyo, or my old old Mac II. Probably the Mac.
0 Replies