Toddler dragged under water at Disney by alligator

Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 09:10 pm
Don't have a link. But just hearing this on the news. This occurred at one of the hotels. They are looking for the child.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 12 • Views: 6,527 • Replies: 101

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 09:34 pm
@Linkat,
Here's the media coverage. http://ktla.com/2016/06/14/alligator-drags-child-into-lake-at-disney-resort-in-orlando/
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 03:12 am
Quote:
ORLANDO, Fla. (WHDH) — A 2-year-old boy is missing this morning after being attacked and dragged into a lagoon
at Walt Disney World in Orlando by an alligator.

The child was vacationing with his family at a Disney resort.

Crews worked through the night searching for the boy.

“Everyone here at the Walt Disney Resorts is devastated by this tragic accident. Our thoughts are with the family,”
said Jacquee Wahler, a Disney spokesperson.

Investigators say the family of four from Nebraska was enjoying the beach and shallow water Tuesday night at Disney’s
upscale Grand Floridian Hotel, when a four to seven foot gator grabbed the couple’s two-year-old son.

“The father was there nearby and the child was playing in the water just a foot or so into the water and the alligator
came up and attacked,” said Sheriff Jerry Demings of the Orange County Sheriff’s Department.

The sheriff says the father actually got his hands on the gator and tries to wrestle his son away but failed.

Searchers put boats in the water and a helicopter in the air, divers stood by and a gator trapper was brought in case
he was needed to capture the alligator.

Hours after the search started, Sheriff Demings admitted there is little hope in finding this child.
(whdh)
Linkat

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 04:55 am
@Region Philbis,
How terrifying. You know alligators are in Florida but who would expect it wouldn't be safe at a Disney resort.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 08:47 am
They tell it on TV as though the child might be alive, still. Idiocy. But, they still need to get the right gator, to keep it from coming back for another child.
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 09:25 am
@edgarblythe,
Any alligator would go for a human being, let alone a child, if the opportunity arose. They'd have to get all of the alligators in the lagoon. Instead, they should cordon off the lagoon to humans at that resort.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 09:27 am
@InfraBlue,
Best answer.

... regrettably it assumes common sense
glitterbag

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 10:16 am
@edgarblythe,
I'm horrified and speechless.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 10:22 am
@InfraBlue,
They've already killed four alligators. Infuriating.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 10:49 am
@InfraBlue,
There was a sign that said No Swimming.... was that supposed to be obvious that there were potential gators in the lagoon? With them finding 4 already they had to know there were alligators there --- why wasn't there at least a sign danger alligators?

The boy wasn't swimming just wading which didn't seem dangerous unless you knew the danger was alligators as opposed to no life guard or murky water. One doesn't expect an alligator at an expensive resort even in an area with no swimming.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 11:11 am
@Linkat,
We've visited those resorts and also spent time at lagoons. Sometimes a speed boat would come near with a costumed goofy on water ski's then Goofy would glide onto the beach and all the kids would flock around. I'm sure they still use the waterways for Disney characters to arrive in a whizz-bang fashion. The kids love it. But today reading about this tragedy I'm a little sick that my kids were so close to the waters edge or swimming in areas that were supposed to be safe. I understand they had "no swimming" signs posted, but I'm willing to bet alligators were the last thing anyone was expecting.
Linkat

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 11:35 am
@glitterbag,
I meant to make it clear that Disney must know that there are alligators in the lagoons -- not visitors. That Disney should have been clear it wasn't safe to wade in those waterways as opposed to just not swim- big difference between no swimming and no swimming because of alligators.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 12:00 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Best answer.

... regrettably it assumes common sense

Yep.
chai2

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 12:36 pm
@chai2,
While the death of this child is tragic, and a horrible way to die, personally I cannot blame Disney World.

We need to be realistic. Disney World is built on swampland. It is an alligators natural habitat.

They are going to get into that lagoon no matter how diligently DW tries to keep up with it. If they don't get in via canals, they will walk across the land.

I'm sorry, but "no swimming" in my mind means don't go into the water.

If there's a no swimming sign, it's either because the water is polluted, unsafe, or there's danger in there. It means they don't want you in the water, not just technically swimming.

Is it definitive that there was nowhere at DW warnings of alligators? I would bet there are other dangerous animals that get into there. Wild boar come to mind. Should there be signs for all eventualities?

Unfortunately, DW is not a "magical place" When it was wondered at "how could this happen at DW?", it's a reminder to me that sometimes people just don't want to use common sense caution.

Florida and alligators. Who would have thought? Have we become so detached from nature that we rely totally on others or corporations to tell us therein lies monsters?

If you go in the ocean at the beach, you risk jellyfish, or sharks. Sometimes jellyfish and sharks are where there are no signs.

Personally, I have never looked at a canal, river or body of water in florida without thinking an alligator is in there. Haven't we read enough stories about poodles eaten for lunch in the middle of a golfing community to realize they are there?

ehBeth

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 12:42 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
We need to be realistic. Disney World is built on swampland. It is an alligators natural habitat.

Florida and alligators. Who would have thought? Have we become so detached from nature that we rely totally on others or corporations to tell us therein lies monsters?

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 12:48 pm
@chai2,
I disagree on this - I have seen no swimming signs at different places - often times it is placed at a resort like this simply because of no lifeguards - often times it even says no swimming no life guards on duty. Other times it is due to strong tides, murky water, etc.

I have also seen, no swimming/no wading. There are plenty of areas where it is unsafe to swim but yet is safe for wading probably why you would put both.

I have also seen in parts of Florida Warning Alligators near water areas where alligators frequent. Many golf courses in Florida have these signs. So why not in an expensive resort area.

Also they were in a resort area - it is reasonable to assume unless told otherwise that you would not expect to have an alligator nearby. Even in Yellowstone when visiting, they warn you not to go near the buffalo or other wild life and you do expect to see buffalo in Yellowstone.

It is not second nature for someone from the north to assume there are alligators in every water way.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 12:48 pm
Orlando is having an apocalyptic week. "The Voice " singer was gunned down there recently.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 12:51 pm
@chai2,
I don't think the addition of the word 'alligators' is out of line. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney World hasn't at one time or another had a visitor from Kansas. Anyhow, as someone mentioned "No Swimming" does not prohibit wading.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 01:09 pm
@roger,
Are people really that stupid?

hmmm

I guess that's what insurance is for.

Job security.
Linkat

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 01:14 pm
@ehBeth,
No naïve... why would someone from Nebraska necessarily know that being at a Disney resort where they are showing a film that night on this particular beach would be in danger of having an alligator come attack them even being at waters edge?

I am sure there may be dangers in Nebraska that you are unaware of - and they in turn would call say "Are people really that stupid?"

Not to mention your comment is very heartless - hope this poor family doesn't read anything like you wrote.