Facts about the outwit the west contest.

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 08:36 pm
Alright for all you people that don't know,

There was only 100 clue books mailed out, so your not competing against thousands of people, as someone suggested in a former post,

This is fact because If you have read the rules, marlboro will send out a check for 25 dollors to each captain along with thier official team entry form,
So if there was thousands of people competing that would cost marlboro a whole crapload of money.

Secondly there will be a tie breaker question, and i have talked to some people that were in the top 20 finalists of the last contest. and they say it will come down to answering that question.

And third of all marlboro is watching specified forums for people that are asking questions related to the contest, Because it is against the rules to ask anyone for the answers to the test, except those people that are on your designated team.

and here's the proff of that, this was on a forum that i came across reasearching a question.

Philip Morris

CAUTION!
Hello, Everyone. So, Timeck, we can't help but notice that you seem to be asking questions directly from the "Outwit the West" contest. Perhaps you did not read the rules: while you may do independent research, you may NOT ask other people unless they are on your designated team. Therefore, we suggest that you stop asking questions to groups on the web. We hope not to see your profile around elsewhere.

PS: Everyone: please do not answer any more of Timeck's questions. Also, beware users who register in late August and then ask rather elementary equine questions. Thanks.

And then theres also some people who are blantely using google answers to ask the questions, and are actually paying people to find them,
Give me a break people, if you can't find the answers yourself, you don't deserve to win anything.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 34,889 • Replies: 32
No top replies

2smart4u

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 02:36 am
I called marlboro and it is not considered cheating. There were 100 teams last year. This year they sent out an undisclosed # of mailings and those that meet the eligability requirements will be allowed to continue to round 2. If teams are dis-qualified for using forums, why on earth would you want to stop them, wouldn't that increase your odds of winning?
0 Replies

cinder76

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 11:35 am
so you're saying that the more people in the contest, the better of a chance you have???

Is Einstein your last name?
0 Replies

renecollins

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 02:25 pm
cheating
I have called marlboro to find out if it really is cheating. It's not. How ever you come by the answers is your bussiness. Im thinking it will all come down to the tie breaker. Which should be an original thought. Just kind of seeing the word cheater cast out there from those who are frustrated that someone else may be snagging an answer that brings them closer to the finals. You don't know what your talking about.
0 Replies

whimsical

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 04:52 pm
cinder76 wrote:
so you're saying that the more people in the contest, the better of a chance you have???

Is Einstein your last name?

No, he's saying that if people get disqualified, it will increase the chnage of winning.

Whim
0 Replies

zippy12287

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 11:47 pm
i called marlboro last night.
they can not control people on the internet.
they did send out an undisclosed number of books, all due by the same deadline.
all books will be "graded" for accuracy.
the top 100 people (that is most correct answers, and the "best" tie breakers if needed) will be given a second set of questions to answer.
the top 10 teams from there will be invited to the ranch where the #1 team will be announced.
they are not watching sites and telling people they can not converse about it, yet. they proabably will in the second round.
0 Replies

pacman420

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 02:33 pm
George Bush says that is okay. George Bush regards this type of conduct as strategery.

I'm George Bush, and I approve this message.
0 Replies

wampuskitty 1

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 12:09 pm
I am glad to say that I am not the only one who called Marlboro, which I did read the rules first and it never says anywhere about this "cheating". And as far as the $25 which they DO mail out to the team captain, if you are accepted to round 2, is for the reimbursement for film developing, Marlboro WOULD have that kind of money to send out to thousands of people anyway.
0 Replies

jjonas12161

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 04:56 pm
Marlboro Outwit The West
Hey I want to get in on this contest. Anybody need a team player. I know the answers.
squinney

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 05:04 pm
Oh, yeah? Then what is the buckable beast? Very Happy
0 Replies

jjonas12161

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 07:37 pm
marlboro
a deer
0 Replies

jjonas12161

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 07:45 pm
marlboro
ask me an easy one
0 Replies

SolsticeRG

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 06:43 pm
anyone need a team member?
for outwit the west?

I have about 40 questions answered with a GREAT deal of confidence in the answers. As proof, the answer to number 16 is the 1906 House.

Let me know if you want a good member.
0 Replies

antelope jeff

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 10:51 pm
Outwit the west 3
You really can't be serious if you think only 100 books went out for a million dollar contest. Marlboro, picks the top 100 from all submitted entry's. It's at that point the contest gets serious. If they are picking the top 100, why would they only send out 100 books? I truly hope you are competing, because my odds have just increased dramatically.
0 Replies

markr

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 12:59 am
Define dramatically. If there are so many entries as you imply, your odds went up insignificantly.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 10:16 am
Is that like the beast with two backs?
0 Replies

Eslaf Noitamrofni

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 10:56 pm
They are not cheating but they do try to decieve
I've been helping my Daughter and her husband with her contest. While researching the answer for Clue #77 " Big man, big hat, where do I hang it?" I found a site that has an accurate picture of the big cowboy, however they give an inaccurate location. I can only assume one of the other contestants are trying to throw off the others. I know the location is wrong, one of my coworkers at the university grew up in that Park. He sat under this statue waiting for the school bus! Anyway, you guys find the picture, if it says Denver, Wrong answer! Pueblo is the true location. And if your the person who is passing out this false information, Shame on you! It's a contest yes, but deception has never been considered sporting behavior. Good luck to the rest of you! Also if anyone needs a team member, my daughter has a full team already and I don't think she'd mind me competing with her. Let me know if your interested. I have 73 definite answers and another 23 possibles that I'm working to nail down.
DeepSol4Me

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 11:40 am
Re: anyone need a team member?
SolsticeRG wrote:
for outwit the west?

I have about 40 questions answered with a GREAT deal of confidence in the answers. As proof, the answer to number 16 is the 1906 House.

Let me know if you want a good member.

I'll know tomorrow if I need a new team mate! Since we are Solstice mates I would love to have you!
0 Replies

jbean007

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 02:40 pm
Lost my entry form and Marlboro will not ...
replace it. I must have thrown it out with the envelope before I got into the contest. I've got the booklet and answer form stil and have been plugging away at the questions.... I have about 55 of them to the point where I am sure of the answers...the rest I'm still working through. I have a lot of answers that I haven't seen on forums yet and feel I have a good shot at this thing. But my chances have decreased significantly when I realized I misplaced the registration form. If anyone is in the Boston area and would like to team up (seeing they can provide the form)...I'd be happy to share answers with the person that completes my list best. Best of luck to all
0 Replies

nancy g

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 05:11 pm
outwit the west
to help find the ans. is one search engine better than another? I am beginning to feel retarded.
0 Replies