When You Can't Vote within the Two Party Framework

Builder

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2016 01:44 am
@Kolyo,
Quote:
Jill Stein cannot win.

If you take the following stats into account, it's not actually that far from impossible, that either of the outsiders could win. With only an effective 9% of Americans usually bothering to cast a vote, it would only take a rallying effort for their supporters to turn up and cast a vote. (my bolds)

Quote:
A recent report published by The New York Times has pointed out that an overwhelming majority of Americans, 91% of them in fact, did not support or vote for Clinton or Trump in the recent primary elections.

The figures were calculated from statistics that were gathered by the U.S. Census Bureau, Federal Election Commission, Dave Leip’s Atlas of U.S. Presidential Elections, The Sentencing Project, and the Pew Research Center.

The figures illustrate that scores of people living in America are not allowed to vote, they are considered ineligible due to their age, prior arrests, or incomplete citizenship applications.

In total, there 103 million people who are essentially banned from voting, (almost a 1/3 of the populace) so this demographic would technically fall into the category of people who did not support Trump or Clinton in the primaries, although their actual preference can’t be determined.

Furthermore, there is an increasingly significant portion of the US population that is deciding not to vote on principle, because they don’t feel particularly enthusiastic about any of the candidates.

It was determined that 88 million people who were eligible to vote, did not vote in the primaries, and will not be voting in the general elections either. These are principled non-voters who have refused to put their consent into a system that they don’t believe is legitimate.

Of the Americans who do plan on voting in the main elections this November, most of them didn’t vote in the primary elections. According to the report in the Times, an additional 73 million did not vote in the primaries this year, but will most likely vote in the general election.

In total, roughly 60 million people voted in the primaries, with about 30 million voting for Republicans and another 30 million voting for Democrats. The funny thing about this, though, is the fact that most of these voters supported other candidates in the primaries since there was a wider group of politicians from which they can choose.

Although Clinton and Trump did finish in the lead, they only needed a very small percentage of eligible voters to win the nomination. When looking at the overall level of support that they have among the average American, that number is even smaller. Together, Clinton and Trump had the support of roughly 14% of eligible voters, and 9% of American residents in general.

In a two-party system, people keep up the chant that a vote for an outsider, is a wasted vote. That may not be the case this time. The level of disconnect with either of the major contenders is high enough.

Source

Kolyo

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2016 05:41 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Personally, I don't see Johnson as more worthy than Clinton. In fact, I think his positions have been more conservative.

He's extremely conservative. I don't like his politics one bit. But I'm at the point where it's no longer about avoiding the conservative candidate; it's about keeping out the insane candidate. So I'm reminding people that Johnson is there, and he actually has a path to victory. I plan to vote for Hillary.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2016 09:52 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

Quote:
Jill Stein cannot win.

If you take the following stats into account, it's not actually that far from impossible, that either of the outsiders could win. With only an effective 9% of Americans usually bothering to cast a vote, it would only take a rallying effort for their supporters to turn up and cast a vote. (my bolds)

Quote:
A recent report published by The New York Times has pointed out that an overwhelming majority of Americans, 91% of them in fact, did not support or vote for Clinton or Trump in the recent primary elections.

The figures were calculated from statistics that were gathered by the U.S. Census Bureau, Federal Election Commission, Dave Leip’s Atlas of U.S. Presidential Elections, The Sentencing Project, and the Pew Research Center.

The figures illustrate that scores of people living in America are not allowed to vote, they are considered ineligible due to their age, prior arrests, or incomplete citizenship applications.

In total, there 103 million people who are essentially banned from voting, (almost a 1/3 of the populace) so this demographic would technically fall into the category of people who did not support Trump or Clinton in the primaries, although their actual preference can’t be determined.

Furthermore, there is an increasingly significant portion of the US population that is deciding not to vote on principle, because they don’t feel particularly enthusiastic about any of the candidates.

It was determined that 88 million people who were eligible to vote, did not vote in the primaries, and will not be voting in the general elections either. These are principled non-voters who have refused to put their consent into a system that they don’t believe is legitimate.

Of the Americans who do plan on voting in the main elections this November, most of them didn’t vote in the primary elections. According to the report in the Times, an additional 73 million did not vote in the primaries this year, but will most likely vote in the general election.

In total, roughly 60 million people voted in the primaries, with about 30 million voting for Republicans and another 30 million voting for Democrats. The funny thing about this, though, is the fact that most of these voters supported other candidates in the primaries since there was a wider group of politicians from which they can choose.

Although Clinton and Trump did finish in the lead, they only needed a very small percentage of eligible voters to win the nomination. When looking at the overall level of support that they have among the average American, that number is even smaller. Together, Clinton and Trump had the support of roughly 14% of eligible voters, and 9% of American residents in general.

In a two-party system, people keep up the chant that a vote for an outsider, is a wasted vote. That may not be the case this time. The level of disconnect with either of the major contenders is high enough.
Source

C'mon man...you're going to see 130,000,000+ votes cast during the general election.

What you're quoting are just primary numbers and they have always been much much smaller than general election totals.
Builder

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2016 03:12 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
Quote:
C'mon man...you're going to see 130,000,000+ votes cast during the general election.

Yes, the article quoted cites those same numbers. (my bolds)

Quote:

In total, roughly 60 million people voted in the primaries

The question is, which way will they swing, when public opinion of the D and R candidates is so dismal, and, of the sixty million who did vote in the primaries, not all of them voted for the two nominees.

With those who didn't bother with the primaries, they outnumber those who did.

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2016 03:15 pm
@Builder,
Even the poor choices we have in the next election, we want a saner person in control of the nuke button. Donald is too ready and anxious to use them.
maporsche

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2016 03:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Even the poor choices we have in the next election, we want a saner person in control of the nuke button. Donald is too ready and anxious to use them.

Hillary is not a poor choice.

Trump, Stein, Johnson = poor choices.
maporsche

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2016 03:36 pm
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
The question is, which way will they swing, when public opinion of the D and R candidates is so dismal, and, of the sixty million who did vote in the primaries, not all of them voted for the two nominees.

With those who didn't bother with the primaries, they outnumber those who did.

The vast majority of them will vote for the D or the R.
It's no different than any other year.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2016 03:38 pm
@maporsche,
But those are your choices. Many still will vote for Trump. Many have supported Stein and Johnson.

I agree with you that Hillary is not a poor choice. Simply on the basis that she has devoted her life to helping others.

Trump on the other hand put all his effort into helping himself. A textbook narcissist.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2016 04:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Even the poor choices we have in the next election, we want a saner person in control of the nuke button.

Then focus on the congressional elections.

That's where real change can be enacted.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2016 04:10 pm
@Builder,
I always vote in every election. I have tended to vote for the democratic candidate, even when Diane Feinstein approved the war in Iraq after I asked her not to. She said they had information that required her to vote for the war. She was wrong.
My younger brother is a republican, and have served two terms in the state legislature in California. He is now a city councilman. He was mayor twice. He loves politics, I don't.
However, I have served in the civil grand jury in 2003-2004 in Santa Clara County, and enjoyed my service tremendously. Our grand jury wrote the most reports when we serve up to that point.
I also served as the foreman in a rape-murder trial that lasted three months, the second longest in the county's history. I asked the superior court administrative secretary to remove my name from the service rolls, but she told me that was not possible. Luckily, I haven't had to serve again.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2016 04:18 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
..we want a saner person in control of the nuke button.

That's a sad reflection on the premise that public choice affects govt priority.

You're assuming they'd care what you think, and how you feel.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2016 09:26 pm
@Builder,
Just one opinion. However, I'm pretty sure many other people have the same opinion.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2016/08/04/3804985/7-terrifying-things-donald-trump-publicly-said-nuclear-weapons/
Builder

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2016 01:40 am
@cicerone imposter,
A majority of Australians were deadset against the last Iraq invasion, but our then PM sent our troops anyway. It's not really democratic, but when the cops support the establishment, rather than the people, what can a poor boy do?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 09:47 pm
Did you know Roseanne Barr is a candidate for president? Laughable, but true.

Jill Stein is the one real candidate left who can be called liberal (or, progressive). She will never reach 15% in the polls, apparently. Hopefully, the movement framed by Bernie Sanders, but carried on just by Stein, will continue to have energy into the next elections, in two years.
maporsche

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 10:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
Not sure if you saw this thread but I'd love to have a real discussion about why Jill Stein would make a great president.

http://able2know.org/topic/337538-1
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 10:57 pm
@maporsche,
It's probably like the Hillary threads, guarded all day long by Hillary people, to make certain nothing counter to the prevailing wisdom gets a good word.
maporsche

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 11:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

It's probably like the Hillary threads, guarded all day long by Hillary people, to make certain nothing counter to the prevailing wisdom gets a good word.

Yawn
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 11:12 pm
@maporsche,
That's what I figured.
maporsche

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 11:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

That's what I figured.

Me too Edgar, me too.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2016 06:32 pm
https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/s480x480/13906778_529943947215571_9160846146259637974_n.jpg?oh=7a841133281cd7209667957b07d5e6c3&oe=58111A14
0 Replies