vikorr

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 09:26 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuZ4EWIIwn4

The above link is a social experiment done in England, to see if there were different levels of social acceptance of domestic violence, when it came to:

- men being violent towards women, and
- women being violent towards men.

It reminded me of the reaction to Rhonda Rousey's claims she beat up her partner. Perhaps the social experiment was inspired by it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 3,542 • Replies: 12
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 10:07 pm
@vikorr,
In this clip it said at the end that 40 % of domestic violence is on men.
That's not true! Statistics paint a different picture and women are much more likely to be victims - 85 percent of domestic abuse victims being women and 15 percent men.

Every 9 seconds a woman is assaulted and/or beaten in the United States.

http://domesticviolencestatistics.org/domestic-violence-statistics/
maxdancona

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 10:19 pm
@CalamityJane,
Your numbers are incorrect, Jane. Unbiased research studies in both the US and Canada show that women are aggressors quite often. But I am not going to argue the number because I think the number is irrelevant to the question of basic fairness.

I am going to ask this question Jane. Why does matter if the number of domestic violence committed by a female perpetrator is 15% or 40%?

Why wouldn't you take 15% of the cases of domestic violence seriously?
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 10:23 pm
@maxdancona,
Hellooooo, it makes a huge difference if it's 40 % vs. 15 %.

Fact is that men are usually stronger than women and are usually more violent than women. There are always the exceptions to the rule, but there is no basic question of fairness when it comes to physical strength.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 10:28 pm
@CalamityJane,
This number you think is important doens't matter at all to a victim of domestic abuse.

When it comes to victims of domestic violence or sexual assault. The gender of the perpetrator or the victim should not matter.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 10:32 pm
@CalamityJane,
There are two issues here.

1. You are telling some number of victims of domestic abuse (be it 15% or 40% or something higher) that their stories don't matter. I find this deeply troubling.

2. You are showing confirmation bias... the narrative is the women are victims and the men are oppressors. This is often true, but many times it is not true. Confirmation bias is what happens when you accept every fact that supports your preexisting beliefs and reject or ignore the facts that challenge it.

You don't seem to be willing to accept that there are quite a few ways that the facts don't fit with your pre-existing beliefs.

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 10:48 pm
@maxdancona,
Listen, in the wake of the recent news where a guy got 6 months jail time for violently raping a woman, which I find deeply troubling, shows us that we're still in a mens' world. I have a hard time sympathizing with the few male victims, really I do.

However, domestic abuse hotlines do not discriminate, nor do shelters. Anyone - women and men can get help through these channels.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 10:54 pm
@CalamityJane,
I found the ridiculously short sentence in that case deeply troubling too.

I don't see why this should make it hard for you to sympathize with male victims of rape. All rape victims deserve our support and sympathy. I wish gender politics would stop getting in the way of this.

0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 10:59 pm
@CalamityJane,
That will no doubt be using UK stats.

And it depends on where you get your stats from.

A quick search revealed this:
Australia: 33% male victims of domestic violence One in Three campaign and it's Australian Bureau of Statistics source . So it's not a far stretch to have 40% in the UK.

Of course if you look at the domestic homicide statistics, then what you supplied would be in the ballpark: Another AIC report released in 2003, Family Homicide in Australia, found that three-quarters of intimate partner homicides involve males killing their female partners and that the most common type of family homicide over the 13-year period was intimate partner homicide (60 per cent).

One of the dangers of such stats of course is that they are largely dependant on people who experience domestic violence reporting it. From the same above link : the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) Personal Safety Survey estimated that only 36 per cent of female victims of physical assault and 19 per cent of female victims of sexual assault in Australia reported the incident to police.

Although that quote doesn't directly relate to domestic violence, it does paint the picture of how much reporting can affect statistics. Also, the way statistics are collected and categorised will affect the statistics (eg. just the definition of what constitutes domestic violence can affect the outcome of statistics).

And statistics on other forms of domestic violence: Australian Bureau of Statistics
----------------------------------------------

In any event, as Max has pointed out - the point of the video is the double standards that society holds. It aims to achieve fairness towards all victims of domestic violence, not just female victims.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2016 10:53 am
@vikorr,
I am sorry, vikorr, I had not realized that you took stats from the UK.
40 % violence towards men is alarming high, yes! I just read an article
about this at "The Guardian", they're mostly writing about stats as well
and the reason why it is so high is missing.

Double standards are everywhere, vikorr - no discrimination of who is affected by it.

Anyway, I'll research now more as to why the number is so high in the UK.
Perhaps all the hooligans who give the UK such a bad rep, are slapped at home, who knows!
roger

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2016 03:12 pm
@CalamityJane,
Maybe they are more likely to leave the toilet seat up.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2016 07:26 pm
@CalamityJane,
About 40% of intimate partner murders in the US are women killing men (this is one number that you can be sure is accurately measured since you don't rely on anyone reporting it).

It is best to look at all the facts, not just the ones that support your ideological narrative.

It is true that women are more likely to be hospitalized due to violence than men. Studies show that women are as likely as men to be physically abusive (even though men are likely to do physical damage). Not only do men report being hit, or having objects thrown ta them by women. Women also report hitting or throwing things at men.

Women are more likely than men to physically abuse children. Most of the time when children are hospitalized due to abuse, the perpetrator is a woman.

Part of my point here is that the truth doesn't fit into a simple ideological narrative as many feminists want it to.

This ideological narrative leads to public policy where some percentage of rape victims are ignored because they happen to be men.

0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2016 08:28 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
I am sorry, vikorr, I had not realized that you took stats from the UK.
I didn't take stats from the UK - I presume the youtube clip did, as both actors had British accents, and the architecture was typically British.

Quote:
Double standards are everywhere, vikorr - no discrimination of who is affected by it.
The very definition of a double standard involves discrimination. You cannot have a double standard without discrimination. That said, I believe what you mean was that double standards exist in many different areas between the sexes, and between races, and religions etc.

Does that mean major double standards should not be brought to light and discussed?

Does that (double standards existing in many areas of society) devalue the impact on victims caught in emotionally charged and violent situations?

(I would have to say double standards worsen the situation for particular victims of domestic violence)
0 Replies