German public pool bans the burqini, what do you think?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 01:53 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Are you suggesting that the German national government that has welcomed Muslim immigration and promoted multi-cultural "tolerance" is right-wing?
No. But the federal government has nothing at all to do with regulations regarding swimwear in pools owned by municipalities.

We got a coalition government as federal government, larger part being conservative/right wing (CDU/CSU), with the smaller partner Social-Democrats.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 01:55 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
The left-wing European governments have created the problem. Right-wing governments (local or national) will address it, but probably not in a particularly "fair" way.
Other Eurpean goverments, left, right or centre, have as well nothing to do with local regulations of municipal pools in German states.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 02:11 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Of course it does if the enforcement of these regulations is a response to a situation created by the federal government.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 02:17 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Of course it does if the enforcement of these regulations is a response to a situation created by the federal government.
And the federal government had sent those four ladies from Regensburg to the pool to conplain? Well, everything is possible with this government. (At least they didn't complain about the entry fee.)
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 02:31 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
What?

I don't know if the local governments reactions were a response to the immigration problem in Germany caused by the federal government, but I bet it is.

This silly reply of yours is indicative of someone who can't (or more likely) wont acknowledge the problem that underlies this one incident.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 02:33 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Well, I accept your superior knowledge of the situation.
I don't live their (or in that state), and have to rely on the local/regional media reports.

Thanks.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 02:34 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter as, I believe, our only German member you always attempt to parlay that into expertise as to what is happening in Germany.

You could be 100% right about everything you post, but I doubt you are prepared to accept me as the 100% expert on all things American.

Blickers

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 04:37 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
The rules had been around since 1975.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 10:20 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Well, as said: I've read the rulings, I've read what the local and regional media wrote about it. That's all I know.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 10:33 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I don't know if the local governments reactions were a response to the immigration problem in Germany caused by the federal government, but I bet it is.

only if the local government was guessing what would happen in 40 years
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 10:46 pm
@ehBeth,
The local council changed some parts in the 1990's and 2005. But I couldn't find a source, saying exactly what was changed.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 11:10 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
When I did some researches about this topic, I've found a peculiar example from Hamburg:
there, when a public pool was built, women weren't allowed to swim together with females but got speicla days/hours. Men were excluded then. They opened the special women's days with a band concert .... the band playing behind a wall. In 1907.
And since they didn't have female pool attendants/guards ("Bademeister"), the changed that adding a paragraph "that the [male] bademeister in § 2 of the regulation is considered being a female during the period of women-only".
In 1907, and in the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg.
roger

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 11:33 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Deem those guys to be women. I love it.

Hey, all they need to do now is deem the burquini to be a Bikini.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 11:37 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
Hey, all they need to do now is deem the burquini to be a Bikini.
That's how it works elsewhere. (Well, kind of at least.)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 11:46 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
All this "burquini in pool thing" never had been a topic ... until some years ago a female Muslim pupil didn't want to take part in school swimming because of boys were there, too.
Want up through all the courts. Then the Federal Constitutional Court decided that she had to take part. Because she could swim with a burqini.

Some municipalities changed the wording of the regulations afterwards (Konstanz [Constance] was most noted in the media.) Others either didn't have a explicite wording describing the swimwear or didn't have problems or just didn't bother.

Here, no-one bothered before as well. And only because those four ladies wrote a complaint ....
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2016 11:39 am
@ehBeth,
Really? How do you come up with that?

Europe has a problem with Muslim immigration...Germany too.

Do you wish to deny this?

A regional locale within Germany invokes an old law to prohibit Muslim customs and you really think it has nothing to do with current affairs?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2016 11:47 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

When I did some researches about this topic, I've found a peculiar example from Hamburg:
there, when a public pool was built, women weren't allowed to swim together with females but got speicla days/hours.

Hamburg is weird. I can say that since it's sort of my hometown.

but women weren't allowed to swim together with females ... is that a typo?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2016 12:00 pm
@ehBeth,
Ooops. Yes Embarrassed

But it's not just Hamburg, I think. In the earliest 1900's this was common, not only in Germany. (In the USA, it only was allowed from the 1920s and ’30s onwards - but then instead of gender integration racial segregation started. (Before, only boys [sic!], no matter of race, were allowed to use public pools e.g. in New York and Chicago.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2016 12:17 pm
The Muslim pool and swimming associations for females in Germany have rules as well.
For instance, no swimming on public and Muslim holidays and during Ramadan; it is asked (sic!) to wear a burqini, even when it is guaranteed that no males are present.
(Source is one association in a town here in Westphalia. They use two different public pools on two days for three hours each day/pool = 12 hrs/week.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2016 12:44 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Hamburg is weird. I can say that since it's sort of my hometown.
Not a public pool but in Hamburg (Wandsbeck): the "shower- and swimming pool for female workers" at the Reinhardt Cacao and Chocolate Factory in 1910:

http://i67.tinypic.com/xljzbm.jpg