German public pool bans the burqini, what do you think?

Lash

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 08:01 pm
@maxdancona,
That's all I want as well - for them to have a choice.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 08:06 pm
@Lash,
Ok Lash.

Do you understand that banning women from wearing the burqini is the opposite of giving these women choice?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 08:09 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I wonder if this means that competitive triathletes aren't allowed to train in that pool as their suits cover a lot of skin. Thought about it today as there were a couple in the pool while our group was practicing.

Interesting mixed group in the pool today. A couple of Muslim families, two triathletes in full suits, teen girls in bikinis and almost every type of swimwear possible.

My German relatives would probably have been freaked out. Glad my parents
emigrated.

__

edit: the final sentence comes back to the question in the thread title
Lash

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 08:09 pm
@maxdancona,
Max, you sort of leapt to incorrect conclusions. I don't support banning burqas. I haven't reached an opinion about the bathing suit issue. Both sides have points.

I still think the covering is misogynistic.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 08:20 pm
@Lash,
Hmmmm Lash.

Orthodox Judaism insists that women are covered. Do you consider Judaism to be misogynistic?
Lash

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 08:23 pm
@maxdancona,
I insist that enforced covering of women is misogynistic. Do the also murder females who are raped?
maxdancona

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 08:28 pm
@Lash,
This story has nothing to do with enforcing the covering of women. This story is the exact opposite where women are being forced to expose themselves (if they want to use this public pool).

Christians are more likely to murder rape victims than Jews are (I think this might be a factor of the number of countries where Christians are the dominant religion). Again, I don't think this has anything to do with the story. Most Christians, Muslims, Jews and Hindus are all against the murder of rape victim.

Lash

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 08:54 pm
@maxdancona,
I'm discussing the right of women not to be murdered for choosing not to drape themselves with that crap. This pool issue would be moot if the women were free to choose what they wear. They can't for fear of death.

If alternative swimwear was disallowed previous to Burkinis, it seems in keeping with established pool rules.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 09:02 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
I'm discussing the right of women not to be murdered for choosing not to drape themselves with that crap. This pool issue would be moot if the women were free to choose what they wear. They can't for fear of death.

Bullshit Lash!

This story is about a pool which is banning women from wearing burqinis. No one in this story is threatening anyone with murder. That is just your ethnic stereotype.

If women are free to choose what they wear, then they are free to wear burqini's. I don't know if you have met an actual Muslim women. I have. In fact I have friends, a husband and wife, who are Muslims and yes the woman freely chooses to practice her faith as she sees it. And I have a single friend from Pakistan who wears hijab and is very confident in how she practices her faith.

Maybe if you could meet real human beings who were Muslims, you would be able to respect them rather than holding onto your stereotypical views of them.

Muslims are human beings.
Lash

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 09:45 pm
@maxdancona,
That's about a nine on the tension meter, Max.

I'm sure you know that thousands of women and girls have no choice and face varying degrees of threats if they don't comply.

http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/culture/2014/01/rebellious-women-discard-headscarf-hijab.html
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 09:59 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
My German relatives would probably have been freaked out. Glad my parents
emigrated.
Well, most certainly if they belong to that group of four ladies from Regensburg who complaint and thus got this story started.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 10:04 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
This story is about a pool which is banning women from wearing burqinis.
Yes. And men wearing underwear. Or casual clothes ...

If you bring it down to that: it just about that you are only allowed to wear certain clothes when swimming there.

But since the reason was that a few ladies (from a neighbouring city) complained about one lady wearing burginis, one certainly can guess that it's just about burginis.
Blickers

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2016 08:52 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The difference is that the men do not have to wear their underwear in order to comply with their religious beliefs. Even in the Western world, the swimming wear for women was much bulkier in past decades than it is now. That burquini is less bulky than the swimwear then. Yet public pools existed.

Even though the rule in question existed from 1971, it does cause the women of a certain religious faith to break their religious beliefs in order to use the taxpayer supported pool, and for no particularly good reason other than people of their religious faith weren't around much in 1971, so nobody complained.

Is there a rule in Germany that if a local law or ordinance conflicts with a constitutional principle, the local law/ordinance gets struck down?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2016 08:59 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I wouldn't be at all shocked if many of them thought that way. It's a big reason I haven't gone back in 30 years.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2016 09:21 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Here is a photo of one (another in the article) of a burqini:

http://i.imgur.com/0Hu5mV1.jpg

This doesn't look that different from what I wear. Hat, high-spf sun shirt, swimming trunks.

About the only difference is that you can see my neck and calves.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2016 09:26 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I insist that enforced covering of women is misogynistic.

That insistence seems misplaced in this instance.

Germany isn't a theocracy, and the government was not requiring women to be covered.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2016 09:41 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
Germany isn't a theocracy, and the government was not requiring women to be covered.
Just as a side note: this has nothing to do with the federal and/or state government but is a by-law by the local municipality as owner of the pool. (We certainly have no public pools owned by the federal government, and I'm rather sure no state is the owner of a public pool either.)
Blickers

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2016 09:43 am
@ehBeth,
Quote ehbeth:
Quote:
I wonder if this means that competitive triathletes aren't allowed to train in that pool as their suits cover a lot of skin.

Good point. Here's the burqina:

http://i.imgur.com/0Hu5mV1.jpg

Here's a commercial competitive swimsuit by Speedos:

https://www.cdn-outlet.com/photos/options/5835-9325-1A.jpghttps://www.swimoutlet.com/p/tyr-fusion-aerofit-short-john-2-kneeskin-tech-suit-swimsuit-5835/?color=

Add a bathing cap to the competition swimsuit and the only difference is that the arms and the calves are visible.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2016 09:47 am
@Blickers,
Well, if that's a good point: people swim naked in quite a few public pools (during naked bath times).

It seems to be very different to the situation in Canada: here, sports activity are done as well in public pools - but during training times, those pools aren't open for the public. (In said pool, males weren't allowed when the situation with the burqini happened.)
ehBeth

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2016 09:48 am
@Blickers,
I've seen a number like this around

http://g03.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1Atj8HVXXXXc6XpXXq6xXFXXXR/NSA-competition-font-b-full-b-font-font-b-body-b-font-triathlon-wetsuit-black-one.jpg

just after the Pan-Am games were here last summer, they were sort of trendy in the local masters swim scene - with an added swim cap
0 Replies