Does anyone here practice mindfulness/meditation?

Fri 10 Jun, 2016 12:21 pm
If so what are some of the tools, resources or techniques you use? I am using a guided mindfulness app called Calm, have tried a few others (including another app called Calm) and am liking how easy it is to jump into versus other guided meditations (like videos on YouTube).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 2,058 • Replies: 14
Topic Closed
No top replies

dalehileman

Fri 10 Jun, 2016 12:47 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Bob, repeat to oneself, "Relax, release." Of course one must act accordingly
0 Replies

chai2

Fri 10 Jun, 2016 12:53 pm
Funny that you bring this up Robert. I decided a couple of weeks ago to start going back to yoga. I'm going to go tomorrow to rejoin where I went for a few years.
Personally, I find doing Kundalini yoga is my path for emptying my mind.

The principle of it is to tire the body enough that you can let go of it and go on from there to meditation.

The thing is, when you're actually in meditation, you don't realize it. It's that empty space between thoughts.
Robert Gentel

Fri 10 Jun, 2016 12:55 pm
@chai2,
When my knee heals I am gonna give yoga a try. I probably won't like it but have been meaning to find out.
edgarblythe

Fri 10 Jun, 2016 12:59 pm
Over fifty years ago, I started yoga exercises, according to a paperback book I bought. It did not take long for me to feel much better. When I would light up a cigarette, my body rejected it. I simply could not smoke. But, I was young and on the road. I lost the book and soon stopped doing any of the exercises. I reverted to my original state, smoking and all.
0 Replies

chai2

Fri 10 Jun, 2016 01:02 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

When my knee heals I am gonna give yoga a try. I probably won't like it but have been meaning to find out.

Why do you think you wouldn't like it?

maxdancona

Fri 10 Jun, 2016 01:09 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Didn't you play poker Robert?

Isn't playing poker a form of mindfulness? It is all about doing what you have to do without reacting to the emotions based on particular events or situations.

Robert Gentel

Fri 10 Jun, 2016 01:40 pm
@maxdancona,
Yes I play poker (no longer professionally though), I definitely don't think of it as inherently mindful. Though like many activities it can benefit from mindfulness practice.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Fri 10 Jun, 2016 01:42 pm
@chai2,
I prefer more interactive exercise (preferably sports) with more cardio and it's not as easy to jump in and out of as mindfulness. I can practice mindfulness while driving, but not yoga. Nothing really against it, just a matter of time and preferring other kinds of exercise.
0 Replies

Foofie

Fri 10 Jun, 2016 02:43 pm
I've read about mindfulness, and it seems to be the practice du jour for health and happiness. I am a Doubting Thomas. I get the impression that when one achieves mindfulness, one may have achieved the conscious experience of other hominids (not human). Simply put, it's my brain, and its interpretation of reality that gives my experiences enjoyment. I tend to remember what P.T. Barnum said, when it comes to following the hoopla about this or that.
Robert Gentel

Fri 10 Jun, 2016 03:25 pm
@Foofie,
I am quite the skeptic and had long thought it was bullshit and spiritualism, but there is a body of science behind it that has convinced me of its benefits.
dlowan

Fri 10 Jun, 2016 11:58 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I have stuff for kids. For myself, I just try to focus on breath, or on mindfulness about whatever I am doing...eg walking, preparing food, driving. I have a bunch of CDs
0 Replies

Foofie

Sun 12 Jun, 2016 12:54 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I am quite the skeptic and had long thought it was bullshit and spiritualism, but there is a body of science behind it that has convinced me of its benefits.

O.K.; a body of science behind its benefits. However, a bandaid also does the trick for a papercut. Better to know how to not get a paper cut to begin with. But, if you want to be mindful, enjoy. What if there are people that are mindful naturals? Can they be made more mindful? It's all so deep.

Then there is the thought that "flow" is the preferred state of mind for enhancing one's existence. Are the two analogous? You must have been in flow on many a programming effort? I think Wikipedia has a good article on flow.
Robert Gentel

Mon 8 Aug, 2016 07:41 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
O.K.; a body of science behind its benefits. However, a bandaid also does the trick for a papercut. Better to know how to not get a paper cut to begin with.

This demonstrates an ignorance behind the purpose and science behind mindfulness. We are all born with the inner voice that mindfulness seeks to tame.

Quote:
But, if you want to be mindful, enjoy. What if there are people that are mindful naturals? Can they be made more mindful? It's all so deep.

Yes. Just like people genetically predisposed to fitness can increase their fitness. Mindfulness is a mental exercise that can show gains even for people who have a predisposition for it.

Quote:
Then there is the thought that "flow" is the preferred state of mind for enhancing one's existence. Are the two analogous? You must have been in flow on many a programming effort?

No, they are not analogous, but that being in the flow feeling is something that mindfulness helps get into more easily. Mindfulness is, in a nutshell, about better controlling your inner voice and thoughts and being able to better focus on the present and be less reactive to external and internal stimulus.
0 Replies

devikarao

Tue 31 Jan, 2017 06:06 am
When I think of practising meditation, what I truly gain is:

• Mental Health
• Spiritual Health
• Social Health
• Physical Health
• Self- Realization
• helps realize one’s real nature and inner Self.

Meditation in a way helps you know the significance that the decisions you take regarding your health and wellbeing are in your hands. The practice of meditation daily with firm dedication and interest will leave you with immense happiness, success, health and harmony.
0 Replies