What should i use for engagement ring

rochael

Wed 8 Jun, 2016 06:03 am
My fiancee promised me to take for shopping of our engagement ring. Undoubtedly I am going to select both of our rings. But I am little confused about what to choose between platinum and diamond. Or a gold ring with diamond on it. Which would be a better option?

Lordyaswas

Wed 8 Jun, 2016 06:44 am
@rochael,
Well, if you are "undoubtedly" going to choose BOTH of your rings, I would hazard a guess that you are either one of life's supreme decision makers, a control freak or a call and response spammer.

I will place my bet on you being a spammer.
0 Replies

engineer

Wed 8 Jun, 2016 09:00 am
@rochael,
Your very best option would be to go with simple gold bands and save your money for your future. Very few people would follow that advice, but putting yourself in a financial hole early is your marriage is not the optimum way to begin your new life together.
ehBeth

Wed 8 Jun, 2016 09:14 am
@rochael,
Most of my friends chose to go the no-engagement-ring route. Put the money into something they wanted for their future. One couple bought a canoe, another bought a pair of bicycles. Definitely more couple useful use of money.

Simple gold wedding bands, under $100 each, for the wedding rings.

Those have tended to be long-lasting marriages.

The big ring marriages? not so successful in my experience.
0 Replies

chai2

Wed 8 Jun, 2016 09:33 am
Agreeing with engineer and ehbeth.

Diamond engagement rings are a total scam thought up by De Beers in an ad campaign back in the 1940's and too many saps have fallen for it hook, line and sinker.

At most, if one just Must have a diamond engagement ring, ask grandma if she would like to contribute towards a new family tradition by donating a diamond from a piece of jewelry she hasn't worn for years, and put it in a ring setting.

The only reason diamonds cost so much is that (a) the myth is maintained by advertising that they are a rare item (they are not) and (b) every time a diamond changes hands from the mine to the finger. Doesn't take that many transactions before it gets to an insane price for a common object.

chai2

Wed 8 Jun, 2016 10:11 am
@chai2,
Alternative, get a cz engagement ring. If your friends are that shallow that they need to see a ring, they'll never know the difference. Just make sure you get one with 6 or 8 prongs holding the "diamond" in place, rather than 4, or some sharp eye will notice. (with 4 prongs, if one prong breaks the stone will fall out, you want at least 6 to confirm the illusion it's a way overpriced diamond)

A really good one can be got for about $100 to $400, as opposed to $5000.

Gee, what would I do with all that money I didn't spend?

Believe me, no one will know the difference.

Region Philbis

Wed 8 Jun, 2016 10:27 am

simple gold band ...

http://gretchenrubin.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Gollum-Ring.jpg
... what could possibly go wrong?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 8 Jun, 2016 10:31 am
@chai2,
I've won a few cz rings at golf tournaments. People often ask about my ''engagement'' ring/s. They look good. The only thing I'd change now is the colour of the gold. I've got white gold and I probably should have asked for green gold settings. Bezel-set works best for me as I tend to mess up rings with prongs.
0 Replies

Miss L Toad

Wed 8 Jun, 2016 11:56 pm
@rochael,
You've already displayed your disdain for a silver ring on another thread so platinum from the Spanish for "little silver" can't play a pt.

A diamond ring would be so hard to fashion that I doubt it can make the cut.

Will it be a golden case of "He Wears My Ring"?

0 Replies

Linkat

Thu 9 Jun, 2016 07:08 am
@rochael,
Here is the big question --- what do you like? I would opt for the color/style that you like and not worry as much as to the "investment" side of things. Get what you like --- and as many others said don't break the bank on it. Nothing wrong with getting a nice diamond, but only if you can afford it - not the best way to start your marriage with money you owe on a ring.

Big thing - try it on - see what looks good on your finger/hand. In one way I wanted to be surprised with the engagement ring, but when we went out and looked at them - it just made better sense to try them on - the style I thought I would like didn't look good on my hand - I ended up with a much more simple look.
0 Replies

Roberta

Thu 9 Jun, 2016 03:30 pm
@rochael,
rochael wrote:

My fiancee promised me to take for shopping of our engagement ring. Undoubtedly I am going to select both of our rings. But I am little confused about what to choose between platinum and diamond. Or a gold ring with diamond on it. Which would be a better option?

I'm confused. Traditionally (in the US), an engagement ring is worn only by the woman. Wedding rings are worn by husband and wife.

My personal philosophy is, "There's no such thing as too much bling."

I would definitely go for a diamond engagement ring. When shopping for a diamond, remember the three C's: cut, color, and clarity. A good, well-cut stone can stand alone with very little extra in a setting.

For settings, the metal you use in the engagement ring should be the same as the metal in the wedding band. Choose what you like. I"m a platinum fan, myself, but many people prefer yellow gold. Platinum looks like white gold but is much heavier--and more expensive.

The woman's wedding band does not have to match the man's wedding band.

Aside from stones and metal, I think you should each get what you like; you're going to be wearing these rings for a long time.
cicerone imposter

Thu 9 Jun, 2016 03:51 pm
@Roberta,
A small correction on diamonds; it's the four C's. cut, color clarity, and carat.
(Carrots are much cheaper.)
0 Replies

saw038

Wed 21 Sep, 2016 12:46 am
@rochael,
In this case, I say go with your intuition. I mean, a ring is simply a symbol; therefore, you should choose what best represents your love.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 21 Sep, 2016 10:53 am
@engineer,
Good advise, engineer! I went into debt for my wife's engagement ring that cost pretty penny, and paid $100/month for many months. It's a emerald cut diamond less than 1 ct.
She rarely wears it.
0 Replies

hadeverseson

Mon 7 Nov, 2016 06:41 am
@rochael,
I think the Gold ring with diamond is better option.
0 Replies

JayVee91

Wed 8 Feb, 2017 07:07 am
@rochael,
Hey,
have you considered using your birthstone instead of the traditional diamond? it could save you some money and also appear more thoughtful than a diamond engagement ring. Getting it in platinum will hopefully make is easier to maintain too.
0 Replies