Maggots on my kitchen floor

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 02:57 pm
I have been finding individual maggots all over my kitchen floor. I've done some research, and know they're supposed to be developing in groups. But I'm finding them squirming around on the floor. I've even found some in my foyer... No where near my kitchen. I can't figure out where they're coming from. There's nothing in my kitchen that is causing them. Anyone have ideas on where they could be coming from or how they're getting into my kitchen? The only thing I can think of is that there's something in my yard that my dogs are finding and carrying in... But there's an awful lot of them. Also, anyone have ideas of how I can kill them quickly, and keep them from getting in my kitchen? We had our quarterly bug treatment done today, but it doesn't seem to affect the maggots.

jespah

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 03:47 pm
@ejpoduska,
I would start with getting your dogs to the vet. Those might be heartworm larvae, which would be in feces, I believe.

And then I would call your exterminator and complain.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 09:19 am
@ejpoduska,
Do you have recessed spotlights in the kitchen ceiling?

I was renovating a house a few years ago which had a dead bird in the ceiling cavity above the kitchen and both maggots and flies kept working their way through tiny gaps in the spotlights and falling to the floor.

Worth a look.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 09:20 am
@jespah,
If theyre maggots, youve probably got s body under the floorboards. Anybody missing for a few weeks?
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 09:33 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

If theyre maggots, youve probably got s body under the floorboards. Anybody missing for a few weeks?

Or the attic.
farmerman

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 09:35 am
@tsarstepan,
cmon, ya'd have ta wrap the body up in a carpet and get three guys to schlepp it up to the attic. My way, all you gotta do is open the trunk, roll out the body from the trunk of your Lincoln onto some clear 6 mil plastic and drag it to the open floor and dump Im in there.
Bada bing.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 11:46 am
@farmerman,
Plenty of hillbilly and Victorian families lock up their unwanted relatives in the attic (or the basement as well... point preemptively conceded) and keep them chained up there so they can't interact with the rest of the community.

They tend to die from loneliness from the lack of human interaction.
CowDoc

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 12:12 pm
@jespah,
Sorry, Jes, but heartworm larvae are actually microfilaria within mosquitoes. You can't see them with the naked eye. You can check out the life cycle of Dirofilaria for more thorough information.
chai2

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 12:29 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Plenty of hillbilly and Victorian families lock up their unwanted relatives in the attic (or the basement as well... point preemptively conceded) and keep them chained up there so they can't interact with the rest of the community.

They tend to die from loneliness from the lack of human interaction.

That was my first thought.

I was though imagining someone more like Bertha Mason from Jane Eyre, wandering the halls when she could sneak away from Grace Poole, setting fire to this and that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 12:35 pm
@CowDoc,
Roundworms?
0 Replies