What's your favorite Cracker Jack or Kinder Egg surprise?

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2016 09:21 am
Kid Scores Bag of Crystal Meth As His Kinder Egg Surprise
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 1,235 • Replies: 16

Sturgis

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2020 11:44 pm
@tsarstepan,
I've never seen a Kinder egg. Is it Kinder or does it get pronounced Kinder?

I accepted Cracker Jack for a while. Then they got quite lousy with the surprise. Some stupid square paper the size of a postage stamp. Supposedly you applied a wet hen to it and then pressed the square on your arm, leg, neck or wherever and it left an image.

Plus cracker jack began getting cheap with the glue covered peanuts and put less in all the time.

Lest you think it bothered me, don't you go worrying on it. At least it wasn't near as bad as those dang circus peanuts which weren't even peanuts and were just some orange color thing....no idea what it was made of.

izzythepush

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2020 06:26 am
@Sturgis,
I think kinder eggs are illegal in America. I’m not joking, they have a hollow centre and can be used for smuggling.

The best ones tend to be licences merchandise. At Easter they do a really big DC comics superheroes one.

We don’t get crackerjack over here. It used to be the name of a kid’s programme back in the day. Sketches that only kids find funny and competitions.

“It’s Friday, it’s five to five and it’s Crackerjack.”

At which the audience of kids would all scream Crackerjack, and they’d scream it every time one of the presenters said Crackerjack.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2020 07:06 am
@Sturgis,
Yes! Kinder Eggs are illegal in the United States. It is because of a stupid law that you can't put toys in food stuff (because kids are too stupid to realize they shouldn't eat the plastic part of the chocolate egg).

My daughter had Kinder Eggs in Mexico. The next year I travelled to Mexico without her and I smuggled some up in my suitcase for her.

I always wonder how much of a risk I was taking for my illegal act.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2020 07:14 am
@maxdancona,
There have been cases of parents giving Kinder eggs to very small children without checking what they are first. Basically once the kid reaches 4 it’s smart enough to know what it’s been given, but not really much younger.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2020 07:35 am
@izzythepush,
In the United States we feel we need to legislate everything.

In Mexico, it is assumed that parents and children will figure the "don't eat the toy" thing on their own.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2020 07:40 am
@maxdancona,
They’re Italian, and available throughout Europe. The ones in France are different from the ones over here.

Kinder joy and kinder surprise.
0 Replies

knaivete

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2020 07:17 pm
The Arquilian Galaxy.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2020 02:35 pm
@knaivete,
knaivete wrote:

The Arquilian Galaxy.

Laughing That would be a brilliant prize to find.

Sturgis wrote:

I've never seen a Kinder egg. Is it Kinder or does it get pronounced Kinder?

I've only heard (I think I'm remembering correctly) YouTubers pronounce the word. The same way one pronounces tinder [ tin-der].

As others have mentioned, they're illegal in the US (though I'm pretty sure you still can find them in bodegas and smaller NYC grocery stores because it's a law that's not likely going to be enforced in the slightest.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2020 07:58 am
@izzythepush,
No we have kinder eggs. Even with my kids being young adults I like to put them in their Easter baskets.

That being said cracker jacks used to have better stuff ... now it is just some dumb paper thing each time. I used to like the real prices like little animals or rings.

The diamond ring I got once was the best though
izzythepush

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2020 08:07 am
@Linkat,
There are things called lucky bags or jamboree bags when I was a kid. They had sweets toys and bazooka joy type comics.

Maybe it’s rose coloured nostalgia, but they seemed better when I was a kid, there was a lot more variety, now the lucky bags all have a theme like scooby doo, or Pokemon, but there’s no variety same crayons different box, Pokemon colouring book and snap cards instead of a scooby doo colouring book and snap cards.

They do big cones of sweets and toys on the continent which are gender specific.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2020 08:34 am
@Linkat,
I don't think that the real Kinder eggs are sold in the United States.

I know that several years ago, they were illegal (because my kid wanted them).... I think that Kinder made a US-only version of the egg to comply with the stupid American laws. I think if you want the real stuff... you need to find a supplier with connections over the border (I can hook you up if you want).

(Sorry, I just want to rant about our stupid over-protective laws in the US).

engineer

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2020 08:37 am
@tsarstepan,
My favorite Cracker Jack surprise was to actually find a peanut.
Linkat

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2020 10:42 am
@maxdancona,
Yeah they are US made. I wonder if you go to one those import type stores if you can get the original
Linkat

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2020 11:15 am
@Linkat,
Well this gives some clarification on the kinder egg status in the US

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/kinder-joy/
maxdancona

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2020 11:57 am
@Linkat,
If your interested Linkat, I know a guy, he will give the first one...

Quote:
He gives the kids free samples,
because he knows full well.
That today's smiling faces,
are tomorrow's clientele.

(courtesy of Tom Lehrer)
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2020 11:47 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

My favorite Cracker Jack surprise was to actually find a peanut.

Very Happy Perfect! Laughing
0 Replies