love and infatuation

unity

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 10:16 pm
I was on a website recently where they wrote this

Actually, infatuation and chemistry are essentially the same thing. And they are a very, very long way from real love.
According to Harville Hendrix, Ph.D., in his book Keeping the Love You Find, chemistry or infatuation is actually an attraction to a person who combines:

The worst traits of our parents or childhood care takers to infatuate us;
The negative traits that infatuate us and we possess but deny in ourselves;
The traits that we find infatuating but have been repressed in us by our upbringing;
The infatuating traits that society denies our gender.

That person who infatuates us is, in fact, the last thing we consciously want.

Hendrix says we all seek our "Imago," an unconscious image of the person our childhood programmed us to fall in love or become infatuated with.

What are your thoughts Can someone really feel that strongly for someone, and be that attracted to someone and its really just all

Edit (Moderator): Link removed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 988 • Replies: 5
No top replies

the Reverend

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 11:35 pm
In my experience (limited though it may be by my age, 20), genuine love is only known when lost. A person very easily decieves himself whilst steeping in a relationship that what he has is true love...indeed, I think the end of a relationship and a span of time afterword are required for an impartial analysis to be possible, if it ever really is.

'Cheaper' causes (such as infatuation) lend themselves to an evolution into 'true love' with the mere mental or external suggestion that the very evolution spoken of has already begun or taken place. Poppycock!
0 Replies

coming

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 11:04 am
Good for one and good for many
Real love can only be found when we love ourselves. My true love loves me.
0 Replies

aquarius blue05

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 03:21 pm
I think that's about half-way true, like true love can only exsist when you have a love for yourself. But the application of that love is when you can share it with another person and they can do the same thing.

Oh and Reverend I don't think that you only know genuine love when you loose it. I believe that I've found a genuine love, and I know it everytime I see her eyes. It's not that I have once lost love that makes me realize what love truly is. It's that I strive to give love, that's what makes me realize what true love is
0 Replies

the Reverend

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 01:19 am
To say "I know when I look into her eyes" or "I strive to give love, so i know what true love is" is pretty indicitive of my underlying point, which was that Love is all in your head (of course) and while you're in it you're always sure of it. If it starts to fade and you don't know anymore, then it's not currently True Love, is it? Just becomes a memory of what true love was like...
0 Replies

Eccles

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 02:04 am
lol I love that discription. I would like to see more evidence before I believed it, though.

Love exists im many different forms. In psychology, when we were studying personal attraction, there was a graph about the different types of love. Passionate love peaks very early on, but then dies along with the relationship. Relationships based on commitment and companionship lasts a lot longer.

I also think that describing lust as " true love" is something which men invented so that they could justify having sex without responsibility and leaving a woman when the relationship gets too hard or they find somebody prettier (+possibly younger) and the relation gets more boring.

That s just my opinion but, really, who am I too talk? My relationships last about a week until I get sick of the guy, feel suffocated and want to be alone again. But. hey, some psychologists believe that our relationship styles ( anxious-avoidant, securely attached and ambivalent ( is that one right? ) develop when we are infants. I should probably accept that and focus onn more enjoyable things, like causing trouble and painting.
0 Replies