ANYBODY SEE THE REMAKE OF JUNGLEBOOK YET?

dlowan

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2016 06:40 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

did they comment on the inserted "darkness" in the movie? The new themes were more akin to the original live movie with Sabu (a movie that I think was made in the 40's)

What's this new darkness? The books were pretty dark.
farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2016 07:00 pm
@dlowan,
I was comparing this movie with th initial Disney movies :Jungle Book" and "Jungle Book II" . They ere motly silly cartoon. This one (with the exception of the Ape King Looie (who was never mentioned or developed in any of the Mowgli chapters of Jungle Book ).
dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2016 05:27 am
@farmerman,
Ah....a development of the monkeys who imprison Mowgli in the books...the bandar log, weren't they?
farmerman

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2016 07:53 am
@dlowan,
right, but no "king Looie". That was an entirely Disneywsque invention in order to give Louie Prima some air time. He did the original "I wanna be like Yoo OO OO"

Avctually Christopher Walken, who has never been criticized for his inability to hold a note, did a more entertaining version of the song.
As it was though, those two songes really had no damn place in this movie. It was kindof a stupid insertion into an otherwise(IMHO) quite entertaining movie. NYT critics may kiss my big black ass.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2016 08:07 am
@farmerman,
You've still not told me what you think of Christopher Walken's dancing.
farmerman

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2016 09:28 am
@izzythepush,
not much really. Its like his singing, his "Walkenness" shows through even to his body language.
Now , from the clip, that is a movie I do not care to see.

Once and awhile he takes some really dumb parts, like "The King of New Yoork" or "The Suicide Kings"
izzythepush

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 12:46 am
@farmerman,
I liked him as Gabriel.

http://www.screeninsults.com/images/the-prophecy-walken.jpg
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2016 10:22 am
@farmerman,
See it in 3D if at all possible. They did an outstanding job on the 3D this time.
farmerman

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 08:52 pm
@oralloy,
I saw it in glorious 2D. There were several scenes that one could see were "doctored" up to be just made for 3D.
I carry several conditions from a happening several decades back. One of the conditions is vision triggered vertigo followed by a neat hit of nausea and sometimes , projectile vomiting. One of the things that triggers my loss of luncheon is 3-D and really rapid screen focus movements. (The only ones of rapid screen focus movement that I can recall right now is from the old 70's movie BULLIT and that space opera with Ms Bullock and Mr Clooney where they are tumbling in space several times in the flick)
There was a scene from 6th Sense that was borderline.
I cant physically take 3D, but I can see where the picture was loading up for such a shot so I could , probably, just close one eye.

To me, it was the same thing that made AVATAR a lame movie for me. They just loaded up the special effects and 3D qnd IMAX and IMHO, the movie story was lost (not so much lost as "covered up" by dragging it out with CGI for its own sake)

Jungle Book, actually , didnt need two things that they insisted on including

1 the dumass songs that were dug up and rewrapped from the original Disney cartoon (those songs actually evoked a whhhaaaaaaa? from Mrs F and I)

2. The 3d "leaders" , As I said above, It reminded me of the COUNT FLOYD and his 3D (John Candy did this routine goofing on old 3D movies) during his appearances with Count Floyd on "Second City TV"

I woulda said that the movie didnt need King Looie, but with Walken voicing the role, it was a great goof on the whole Disney attempt to be Darker with this one.
oralloy

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 09:42 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
To me, it was the same thing that made AVATAR a lame movie for me. They just loaded up the special effects and 3D qnd IMAX and IMHO, the movie story was lost (not so much lost as "covered up" by dragging it out with CGI for its own sake)

The 3D in The Jungle Book is every bit as detailed as the 3D in Avatar, but it didn't distract from the story at all. They just portrayed the story in well-done 3D, and you could sit back and enjoy the story.

I guess if you have problems watching 3D though that would be a problem.

I've read the books, but it was quite a while ago so my memory of them isn't perfect. I don't remember the monkeys being such a threat in the books. Might just be I forgot one of the stories though.

I do remember the story where there they went to the hidden ruins of a city, but the only role of monkeys that I recall was that they caused the snake (who was a friend in the books) to discover the hidden treasure chamber sometime in the past when he was pursuing a monkey for lunch.

I liked the way they included the bees on the cliffs. They didn't really include anything from the corresponding story, but it was a nice way of mixing in more of the books.
farmerman

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 10:13 pm
@oralloy,
if you recall, theMowgli tales were just about 3 chapters of the entire jungle books. The monkeys were a gang of ner do wells and there was no king Looie. That was a cartoon character whipped up by Disney so they could use Looie PRIMA . (thats the only connection that character had with the Cartoon (Ist one) and Kipling.
But Looie Prima was supposed to have some Mafia ties. I suppose Disney had a few favors that were paid in "kind".

I like to reread books I read decades ago and see if my positions on their understanding had changed based upon greater familiarity with a historical event or a place.
About 20 yqrs ago I reread the entire stories in Jungle Book (You may remember that even Riki Tiki Tavi was a chapter. Kiplings works were often similar to Twain but with a different twang. Im gonna take a copy of "Jungle Book"along when we head to ground this summer (The xpanded footnotes version).
Ill focus on the monkkey troupes(ven though, it was a totally different base of story than Disney's)

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 10:16 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
but it (the 3-D) didn't distract from the (Jungle Book) story at all.
I agree, the entire cgi stuff enhanced the story. Especially in the fire sequence when Mowgli killed Sherkahn. (The book, the first Mowgli movie, and this one, all have different accounts of the fire)
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2018 02:51 am
Another remake of The Jungle Book is on the way.

No singing or dancing animals in this one.

Christian Bale as Bagheera the panther
Cate Blanchett as Kaa the python
Benedict Cumberbatch as Shere Khan the tiger

farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2018 04:29 am
@oralloy,
Looks interesting. (Maybe well even go to a theater to seeit). Im a big fan of the The Jungle Books.Cumberpatch as Sher khan hmmm, we seem to be ready to accept a good actor and their voice in these "CGI" movies. As I said before, the creation of the King Looie character ws entirely a Disney thing but using Christopher Walken for the voice was brilliant.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2018 04:32 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
No singing or dancing animals in this one
I have to say that the inging and dancing sequences in the last Disney rdux did detract from it becoming a darker story. I read an article about the big kerfuffle that Disney has going on among factions that wanted a much darker movie but they got overruled because there was a "Disney tradition" to not scare the crap out of the kiddies.
That was a bit of a cop-out
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2018 06:15 am
@oralloy,
I was underwhelmed with the Disney version. The trailers of the Serkis' version aren't doing anything for me as well.

I'm sure it's not going to be Razzie worthy ... but ((#shrugs))....
farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2018 09:48 am
@tsarstepan,
are you a Kipling fan??
Which Disney version are you talking about. Louie Prima's LOOEY or Christopher Walken's??
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2018 09:50 am
@farmerman,
The recent 2016 live action version. Also, can't say I'm not a big fan of most of Disney's preLittle Mermaid classics.

Also, never read anything from Kipling. Don't really plan to anytime soon.
farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2018 09:54 am
@tsarstepan,
K I see you aint a fanboy of Kipling. Im a Kipling nut
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2018 06:32 am
Well....

"Netflix has acquired from Warner Bros the worldwide rights to Mowgli, the CGI live action film directed by Andy Serkis based on the Jungle Book stories of Rudyard Kipling. Instead of an October 19 theatrical release by Warner Bros, the film will be released globally on Netflix next year, with a theatrical component built in so that audiences can see the 3D version"

http://deadline.com/2018/07/netflix-mowgli-deal-andy-serkis-jungle-book-warner-bros-christian-bale-cate-blanchett-benedict-cumberbatch-1202434903/

I guess we have to wait another year.