ANYBODY SEE THE REMAKE OF JUNGLEBOOK YET?

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 03:54 pm
NYT and Wash Post critics panned it but, I dont much take anything that critics say since all they want is their clever words to be seen (Especially if a movie is a hit).

I thought it was really good and the characters voiced-over by Bill Murray and , especially, Christopher Walken, were great.
I liked the movie tale. It wasnt altogether true to the Mowgli portion of Kiplings book, but it was enough in the story to think that Kipling might have liked it. The CGI was used to enhance the story
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 12 • Views: 5,544 • Replies: 43
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 04:19 pm
It is on my to see list.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 04:22 pm
@farmerman,
I'm waiting for it to come out on download. But it sounds like they did a good job with it. I'll be curious to see if my 6yr old daughter likes it.
farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 06:49 pm
@rosborne979,
we went to the theater to see it in its best environment. (Sound and pic were very true , not over accentuated). No heavy base drums with exception of one scene which surprises everyone.
Its a bit dark so some kids may be a bit frightened.

If youre a Kipling fan, the Jungle book is just about a few chapters devoted to the whole Mowgli story but, for every" JB" movie Ive seen thus far (starting with the original Sabu version and the first Disney, and now this-I missed the oriental effort), the Kipling story is always deviated from differently in each movie.

Just as Phil Hrris was a great Balu in the foirst Disney feature, Bill Murray does a "hopped up, yet administratively oriented" Balu an Im glad that he didnt phone it in like hes done in his recent movies where he always looks like hes on drugs and really couldnt give a ****.
Christophr Walken voices a charatcter that Kipling never had in mind except for an entire "species of felons".

The cgi blended with actual scenery was flawless as an art form. (The credits reflected that, there were hundreds of cgi and special effects and photography techs amd artists)

HOWEVER, NYT panned the **** out of it, but I nver let that bother me until after a show to see whether I agree or not.

farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 06:53 pm
@farmerman,
BTW, the KIng Louie character, although never included in Kipling stories, was an Orang in the first Disney movie. NO Orngutans in Inja.
So they worked it out with a fossil species. Thatwas cool.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 07:26 pm
@farmerman,
Movies are never the same as the books. They just don't have the time in a movie to go into the details a book does. So I try to think of them as completely different stories even though they are based on the same content.
farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 07:30 pm
@rosborne979,
yeh, the movie versions actually blended parts of Kiplings Jungle Book I and II , with some characters that Kipling never had.
I saw a review that was kida dismissive in which the reviewer said that the Disney moves were "inspired by" not "based on" Kiplings stories.

You know that Kipling was living in Vermont (next door) when he wrote many of these tales in JB I and JBII.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 07:32 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
You know that Kipling was living in Vermont (next door) when he wrote many of these tales in JB I and JBII.

I didn't know that. I always figured he lived in India or something.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 08:02 pm
I didn't even like the first Disney film of Jungle Book. Never watched it all. But all I had to do was see the trailer for this version and I want to see it.
farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 08:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
The first Disney version looked "Flat". This one, because its cgi blended with real scenery and the kid is alive, its believable.

Im curious how many here would receive it. Its not that I am against all cgi, its just that most cgi movies just do it because they dont have a story to tell. Mowgli can be enjoyed on many levels .
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 09:16 pm
@farmerman,
I will take a Mowgli over a Tarzan any day.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 11:26 pm
@farmerman,
I hated the original's art work. But I could have suffered that if the script had been good enough.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2016 02:56 am
@farmerman,
I've not seen it but my kids loved it.
farmerman

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2016 03:46 am
@izzythepush,
did they comment on the inserted "darkness" in the movie? The new themes were more akin to the original live movie with Sabu (a movie that I think was made in the 40's)

izzythepush

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2016 04:05 am
@farmerman,
Not that I'm aware of. My youngest is autistic and doesn't really have the language skills to comment, but I'll ask the kid.
0 Replies

TheSubliminalKid

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2016 06:14 pm
@farmerman,
I didn't think it seemed that dark, it had exactly the same amount of violence as many kids' films and the lessons seemed to be the same.

I thought it was incredible, the only issue I had with it was they were inserting songs when it wasn't a musical which just felt incredibly inappropriate.
farmerman

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2016 06:59 pm
@TheSubliminalKid,
agreed. They had to insert the songs from the first Disney version and I too, do not know why they did that. Sorta pointless. BUT, having someone like Christopher Walken sing that particular song, was a hoot.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2016 11:52 pm
@farmerman,
How about this?

0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2016 04:27 pm
@farmerman,
My wife and I and kids and grandkids all enjoyed.
Glad you asked.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2016 06:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I didn't even like the first Disney film of Jungle Book. Never watched it all. But all I had to do was see the trailer for this version and I want to see it.

When I was tiny I adored the Jungle Books. Wisely, I never went near the Disney monstrosity.

I'm not sure about this one. I'll have to go by myself if I go....nobody I know ever read the books
0 Replies