momoends

Sat 2 Jul, 2016 12:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
no...it means "so be it"
you are kidding me? you knew,right?
cicerone imposter

Sat 2 Jul, 2016 12:11 pm
@momoends,
I hope you can see a joke when you see/hear it.
I often miss jokes, because I see most things as black and white. The consequence of having worked as an auditor during my career.
momoends

Sat 2 Jul, 2016 12:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
what do you bet expert2 didn't know
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Mon 18 Jul, 2016 10:52 am
@BroRando,
Exodus 3:15
God also said to Moses, "Say to the Israelites, 'The LORD, the God of your fathers--the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob--has sent me to you.' "This is my name forever, the name you shall call me from generation to generation.

You misread your quote. The defect is in the English. We use 'god' as a common noun.
JehovahLoves

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 03:28 pm
May people know that you whose name is JEHOVAH, You alone are the Most High over all the earth.
maxdancona

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 04:06 pm
@JehovahLoves,
Jehovah is just the Hebrew word for ALLAH..
Smileyrius

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 07:16 pm
@maxdancona,
Not exactly Max, Allah is Aramaic, and shares its etymology with the caananite El, and the Hebrew Elohim. All of which are titles meaning God or Powerful one. Jehovah is extracted from the Hebrew tetragrammaton, which when translated amounts to YHWH, although because little is known of its true pronunciation, it gets the English translation of Jehovah, although Yahweh is a fully acceptable alternAtive. In China they call him Yehehua, different tongues have a knack for altering the sounds of pronouns

Allah is the title given to the God of Abraham, whose name became known to the Hebrews as Yahweh. But the two words do not share etymology.
0 Replies

neologist

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 11:07 pm
@maxdancona,
Nah.
That would be el, a generic name for a god.
0 Replies

neologist

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 11:15 pm
@AugustineBrother,
You do know the capitalized LORD is used in place of the Hebrew tetragrammaton, perhaps with intent to continue the Jewish superstition against pronouncing God's name.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Thu 28 Jul, 2016 08:03 am
I still don't get it guys. That passage in Exodus (ch 3 I think) is as clear a statement on God's part that you could ask for. I think it clearly shows that God thinks applying any name to him is utter non sense and he would have none of it.
Smileyrius

Thu 28 Jul, 2016 08:21 am
@Leadfoot,
Keep in mind my friend, that name was originally recorded over 7000 times in the Hebrew Scriptures, used in expressions by many of his most loyal servants.
I fear that you may have seen something that I have missed, I read it and see the opposite, from the Youngs Literal Translation, he says in verse 15 of chapter 3

Quote:
15 And God saith again unto Moses, `Thus dost thou say unto the sons of Israel, Jehovah, God of your fathers, God of Abraham, God of Isaac, and God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you; this [is] My name -- to the age, and this My memorial, to generation -- generation.

"This is my name, my memorial, to generations."

Help me to see what you see Lead

Leadfoot

Thu 28 Jul, 2016 01:49 pm
@Smileyrius,
OK, here's my read of it from the start of the conversation about 'the name'.
Quote:
Exodus 3:13-15 KJV
[13] And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them? [14] And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM:

That to me is the key reply. Along with the all-caps emphasis he is saying the question is absurd. There is only one God and I am He. What other God could you possibly mean. I can almost hear God YELLING this at Moses when I read it.

And just in case that wasn't clear enough, he goes on:

Quote:
and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you. [15] And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The Lord God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.

Here he is saying that in case they have forgotten, that he is the same God that all their prophets spoke of, that He is the God that was there then and would be forever. What possible name would I need?

I have read of the efforts to convert the words 'I am that I am' or 'I am' in the original tongue, which apparently is almost unpronounceable in English so it was 'converted' to various forms for other languages. This just seems like a tortuous bending of the scripture and logic.

Looking at it from the other side of the argument, let's say God does attach significance to a spoken name. But if that were the case it would be incredibly disrespectful to God not to pronounce it as He himself had spoken it to Moses. If it was hard to pronounce, would it be asking too much for us to learn how?

After all is said and done, I just can't see that he said "my name is _______."
The whole passage reads more like "Don't ask that silly question again".

It wouldn't change much in the big picture if it turned out I was wrong about the name. But you can bet I wouldn't rest until I could say it right.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Thu 28 Jul, 2016 02:05 pm
@Smileyrius,
I forgot to ask, what is Jehovah translated to in other translations? I haven't read Young's Literal version.

And I wonder if that is where the confusion comes from. In the attempt to be 'literal', did they translate that word or phrase as a literal sound/name when God was actually saying something very different?
Smileyrius
  Selected Answer

Fri 29 Jul, 2016 07:55 am
@Leadfoot,
Thankyou Lead, I think I understand a little better

In modern translations, the name is not often translated, it is mostly redacted and replaced with "Adonai" "Lord" or "God", however older translations had no problems with the divine name. The King James, and its contempories reduced the occurances of the name to approximately 4 times, before recent translations deleted it entirely, but in the oldest known manuscripts, הוה which is the Hebrew that is translated into latin as YHWH (latin) appears 7000 times in the Hebrew texts, in every book except maybe Esther and Song of Solomon. The Hebrews used Gods name regularly, in prayer, in song and in worship. I personally think it more likely that our generation has misunderstood, rather than those who are recorded in the bible using it.

Names in Hebrew times meant something, a mans name was an appraisal of who he had become, he was born with a name, but would receive a descriptive name that people would later know him by. Nabal is my favourite example, his name meant "idiot" When Moses asked who to say had sent him, Yahweh gave him his descriptive name. In the bible God has many titles, but only one name.
With regards to the Tetragrammaton, I advise some light study, and you might find it interesting even the Wikipedia shines some interesting insights, for instance, the name YHWH does not exclusively mean "I AM THAT I AM", rather it is also translated (and I believe more appropriate) I SHALL CAUSE TO BECOME WHAT I SHALL CAUSE TO BECOME, this has far more meaning than I AM, He was the God that made things happen. as it inspired confidence in his people that he accomplished his will.

The name Jehovah is also part of many Hebrew names (I am using the English translation for ease) Jehoshaphat - Jehovah has judged, Jeremiah - Exalted by Jehovah; Jesus - Jehovah provides Salvation. If the name Jehovah/Yahweh simply meant I AM, these Hebrew names would mean far less,

A few examples of Scriptures that speak of Gods name, would also mean far less if Gods statement was merely stating I AM what I AM
David - "Your name, YHWH, endures forever, your renown, YHWH, through all generations.
Solomon - "The name of YHWH is a strong tower; the righteous man runs into it and is safe"
Micah - For all the peoples do walk, Each in the name of its god -- and we, We do walk in the name of YHWH our God
Isaiah : YHWH our God, other lords besides you have ruled over us, but your name alone do we honor

I hope this helps in some way, but I apologise very much for the word count.

TL;DR version - Gods name in bible lots of times
Leadfoot

Fri 29 Jul, 2016 07:39 pm
@Smileyrius,
You make the best case for the name I've ever heard. I'll have to study on it some more.

I was taken aback that the word in Youngs Literal translation was changed from LORD to Jehovah in 1898 10 years AFTER the death of Young.
Smileyrius

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 06:17 am
@Leadfoot,
Aye, and there is a new movement called the Divine Name King James Bible who I have been impressed with too I'll share a link,http://www.dnkjb.net/faq_dnkjb_online.htm
They include lots of interesting information on the name and why they have restored it 6942 times, but also what impressed me, no advertising on the page! (I hate monetising faith related web content)
0 Replies

Aetherian

Tue 24 Jul, 2018 04:42 am
@BroRando,
IT has no name, but we tend to think of one.
IT is undifferentiated Consciousness which creates and so is often called The Source. This is the origin of creation and we as units of IT are immortal travelling through vast eons of time culminating in the vehicles of which one kind is the human, poised on the brink of discovery of the secrets of being as embryonic gods, apparently taking a long time over it in repeated incarnations.
0 Replies

MadJW

Sun 30 Dec, 2018 09:53 am
@BroRando,
BroRando wrote:

"For even though there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth, just as there are many “gods” and many “lords,” there is actually to us one God, the Father, from whom all things are and we for him; and there is one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things are and we through him." (1 Corinthians 8:2-6)

What is the Name of that one God?

------------------------------------------------------
Since Churchianity has 3 (even though they deny it) they claim it's "Jesus"- even though Jesus said he serves the same God WE do- and that He said His name (Jehovah/Yehovah) would be His Name...FOREVER!

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee380/theMadJW/The%20Divine%20Name/ALMIGHTY2-email.jpg

0 Replies