Bernie Sanders Would Not Rule Out Being Hillary Running Mate IF He Were To Be Offered The VP Slot

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 12:07 pm
Here are a couple of recent Bernie Sanders interviews regarding the possibility of being Hillary Clinton's running mate if asked. In these interviews he never ruled out being Hillary Clinton's running mate. What are your thoughts of this new revelation?

engineer

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 12:20 pm
@Real Music,
Stranger things have happened. George H Bush blasted Reagan's "voodoo economics" before becoming his VP. Still, I don't think it is going to happen.

- Sanders burned a lot of bridges to get where he is now. He's pretty much gone to war with the liberal arm of the Democratic party, called Clinton "unqualified", only made a token repudiation of the Nevada violence. Not sure he has a lot of fans among the Clinton team or the party leaders in general.
- He has a terrible rep in the Senate for working with others to get things done. If Clinton is looking for a Biden like agent who can work for her in the Senate to rally the home team, Sanders is not your guy. Nor does he have a rep for being willing to be a solid number 2 guy, debating in private then supporting the leader in public. I think that is what his fans like about him, but it's not going to endear him to Clinton.
- He'll be more influential as a Senator. Sanders was pretty much an unknown before this election cycle. He has a much bigger profile now and should have a much bigger voice. He could be a real factor is he hit the campaign trail for lefty candidates. Hard to do that as VP.
Real Music

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 12:29 pm
@engineer,
I agree with you that Clinton will not offer Sanders the VP slot for all of the reasons you stated. I do find it interesting that Sanders himself has not ruled it out. That indicates to me that Sanders may actually want the VP slot.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 04:54 pm
@Real Music,
My reaction is oy vey, and I doubt it will happen.

Clinton needs a younger person to join the fray anyway.
Real Music

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 05:03 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Clinton needs a younger person to join the fray anyway.

I believe the perfect running mate for Hillary Clinton's VP would be Elizabeth Warren.
sozobe

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 05:09 pm
@Real Music,
Needed in the senate.

Connie Schultz convinced me of that when I was advocating for her husband Sherrod Brown for the VP slot, and she took issue with that. (We're not close personal friends or anything, she engages with people a lot on Facebook.)

Julian Castro is being bandied about, I can see that.
Miller

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 07:26 pm
@Real Music,
Quote:
What are your thoughts of this new revelation?

The old man is senile and he could easily stroke out any day, now.
Real Music

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 08:53 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:

I also have heard Julian Castro name thrown around as possible VP running mate for Hillary Clinton. Although Clinton already have the Hispanic support, Julian Castro would probably produce a greater number of Hispanics to come out and vote for Hillary. He is also young. His youth may prove to a beneficial asset. He was also the former mayor of San Antonio. He was also Secretary of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). While in his capacity as HUD secretary he was responsible for many positive achievements. In his capacity as mayor of San Antonio, he was responsible for many positive achievements. Yes, Julian Castro would make an Excellent VP running mate.

Check out the following link:

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/about/principal_staff/secretary_castro
Real Music

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 11:05 pm
@Miller,
Quote:
The old man is senile and he could easily stroke out any day, now.

At first I thought Sanders was a good candidate. Although, I didn't agree with all of issues, I did and still do agree with many of his issues. Lately, I have been turn off by Bernie Sanders. The problem I now have with Sanders is his complaining of the rules of the Democratic nomination process. Hillary has way more of the popular votes. Hillary also have way more of the pledged delegates. Sanders argument is that the Super delegates who are not bound should undo and go against the will of the voters. The voters have spoken and what the voters have said is they want Hillary Clinton to be the Democratic nominee for President. If the voters wanted Sanders to have won the nomination, the voters would have voted for him. At first, I did like Bernie Sanders. Now, he's acting like a sore loser who didn't get his way.

One side note. I do believe that he will eventually concede and give his full support to Hillary Clinton's candidacy. I believe he will eventually do all that he can to help Hillary Clinton to win the presidency.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 05:37 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

I agree with you that Clinton will not offer Sanders the VP slot for all of the reasons you stated. I do find it interesting that Sanders himself has not ruled it out. That indicates to me that Sanders may actually want the VP slot.
I think you're right on both points - she won't offer it, but he hasn't seen fit to rule it out. I think these speak to Hillary's good sense, and Bernie's ambition.
snood

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 05:38 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Needed in the senate.

Connie Schultz convinced me of that when I was advocating for her husband Sherrod Brown for the VP slot, and she took issue with that. (We're not close personal friends or anything, she engages with people a lot on Facebook.)

I could see Castro. I'd like her to pick Cory Booker.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 05:40 am
@snood,
I doubt Sanders wants the job. I think he is focusing on wrapping up his election campaign and continuing to push in his role in the progressive movement. The reason he didn't rule it out is that doing so makes him sound petty when he wants to continue his focus on issues. In the videos that are posted he makes that very clear.

I would be extremely disappointed if Sanders were in a Clinton administration.
snood

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 06:06 am
@maxdancona,
I suspect it's for different reasons, but I'd be disappointed too.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 09:17 am
@Real Music,
[quote]Julian Castro would probably produce a greater number of Hispanics to come out[/quote]

Among women, but not Hispanic males. I doubt that Castro would like to play second fiddle to a woman like Ms Clinton.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 09:41 am
@Miller,
Because we all know that Hispanics are sexist (sigh).
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 04:21 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

[quote]Julian Castro would probably produce a greater number of Hispanics to come out
[/b]

Among women, but not Hispanic males. I doubt that Castro would like to play second fiddle to a woman like Ms Clinton.
[/quote]

And you base that on what? A macho stereotype you hold as true?
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 09:09 pm
@Miller,
Quote:
I doubt that Castro would like to play second fiddle to a woman like Ms Clinton.

I disagree. I think he would give real consideration of accepting VP offer. Being that he is young and a rising star in the Democratic party, I believe he would see the VP slot as a stepping stone to becoming the first Hispanic president.
0 Replies