The Sciences (?) of Game of Thrones

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 11:39 am

Also, what's your theory on why Westeros has unpredictable summers and winters in their two season cycle?

Quote:
A unique feature of Martin's Song of Ice and Fire world is its extreme seasonal variability. Summers and winters have an indeterminate length, leaving its citizens wondering how long the current season will last — and how long they may have to endure the next one.

5 Scientific Explanations for Game of Thrones' Messed-Up Seasons

I read somewhere or heard from someone that the planet where Westeros exists has a similar planetary orbit as the one described in the Chinese science fiction novel, The Three Body Problem, where the planet orbits not one but three stars.

So what other bits of hypothetical science theory can we pull from this work of fictional fantasy?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,747 • Replies: 2
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 04:33 am
It's just to show extremes for effect. Characters must also fight the elements. Warriors fight against the weather, too. That whole series is about exaggerations - just enjoy it.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 06:05 am
@PUNKEY,
I do enjoy it. But I find the mental marathon that some intellectuals try with these speculations fascinating.
0 Replies