Why Do People Die?

TomTomBinks

Fri 3 Jun, 2016 10:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Forgive my interruption, but I'm curious. How is it that your siblings are Christian and you are not. Did you come from a large family? Are you the youngest? I realize this strays from the topic and understand if you choose not to answer.
cicerone imposter

Fri 3 Jun, 2016 11:02 pm
@TomTomBinks,
Glad to answer. It just didn't make sense to me (as a young teenager) that a loving god would allow innocent babies to be killed by a world flood. That's only one of many contradictions that shows there's no logic in the teachings of the bible.

I'm second in a family of four children. My older brother became an attorney, my younger brother a doctor, and my sister an RN. I've always been the yellow sheep of the family. All my siblings married christians, and I married a buddhist.
neologist

Sat 4 Jun, 2016 07:04 am
@Glennn,
Figures
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Sat 4 Jun, 2016 12:57 pm
@anthony1312002,
anthony1312002 wrote:
For ages man has asked this question. Scientists who are experts in stem cell research are also puzzled as to why humans grow old and eventually die. According their research, humans should never grow old, let alone die....

Could you cite your source on this?
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Sat 4 Jun, 2016 04:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It's great to hear about people who have chosen reason above emotion, applied common sense to otherwise senseless tradition.
cicerone imposter

Sat 4 Jun, 2016 05:22 pm
@TomTomBinks,
What makes no sense to me is why Jesus came to save humans only two thousand years ago. Why does a god have to sacrifice anyone who comes back to life?
Logic 101. Doesn't compute to me.
TomTomBinks

Sat 4 Jun, 2016 06:51 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Exactly. Most of it is senseless babble, made up piecemeal over many centuries. Outdated concepts and forgotten references still taken literally, word for meaningless word. I'm glad to have found this forum and some kindred spirits!
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 7 Jun, 2016 02:31 am
Many human tissues begin to break down after individuals reach their peak reproductive years. The body simply does not replace systems it no longer needs. At the same time, transcription errors in cells begin to accumulate, and tissues no longer reliably replace themselves. I'm with Brandon, where did you come up with that statement about what geneticists say? Can you tell us which geneticists say that?
farmerman

Tue 7 Jun, 2016 05:14 am
@Setanta,
I suggest that Anthony read about caspase enzymes and how they initiate cell death . Nickolas Lane(not Wade), wrote a clear little book about the "10 great inventions of evolution" and the various forms of cell death (apoptosis propoptosis, inflammation etc). Death is one of these great inventions in which biology keeps the landscape from being littered up with species and subspecies of the same organism "family".
It can start in the genome or the somatic cells, but where did it arise?
Probably via bacteriophages that produced toxins that affected the cell metabolism. It probably began way back when cells of an organism began to specialize. That was in the early Precambrian.

0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 7 Jun, 2016 05:19 am
I see the down-vote weenie has been through. God this place is full of @ssholes. I don't know why i bother, i really don't.
farmerman

Tue 7 Jun, 2016 05:32 am
@Setanta,
Hang on, there are still a lot of people who value information and intelligent banter over silly religious worldviews.

The OP is, as you and Brandon imply, FOS. I think that, with all the information available on the internet, anybody who can type has this huge library card to repositories of information from all over te galaxy. (well I exaggerated about galaxy)
Leadfoot

Tue 7 Jun, 2016 05:35 am
@farmerman,
Whew! Thought you were going woo-woo on us for a minute there farmer.
Setanta

Tue 7 Jun, 2016 05:55 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
The OP is, as you and Brandon imply, FOS. I think that, with all the information available on the internet, anybody who can type has this huge library card to repositories of information from all over te galaxy. (well I exaggerated about galaxy)

That's a good way to put it, but that library card is of little value if those holding one don't use it to expand their knowledge. Having a double major in history and English, i learned to do all of that at the library, by hand, so to speak, and sometimes one cannot find everything one is looking for. I have profited a great deal from the use of the internet, but unlike a real, honest to Dog library, the BS doesn't get filtered out. Pluses and minuses abound.
NSFW (view)
farmerman

Tue 7 Jun, 2016 08:59 am
@Leadfoot,
keep yer hands on the wheel and dont text while en route.
I feel that you are texting caue your lines are brief
Leadfoot

Tue 7 Jun, 2016 09:53 am
@farmerman,
Caught me. Borrowed the GF's iPhone and let her drive awhile. This damn site is habit forming.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 7 Jun, 2016 10:26 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
("Geneticists state that humans should live for "ever").

I would like to know who those geneticists are. They're in the wrong field.
farmerman

Tue 7 Jun, 2016 10:38 am
@cicerone imposter,
Brandon already asked the guy who said that and got nada. (I was only quoting him )
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Tue 5 Jul, 2016 06:51 am
@saab,
So we don't die we just walk to the Eternal Banquet.

Nobody is really answering the question. Death that is extinction is different from rising to Eternal Life.
Jesus so lived with that state in mind that He used the term 'sleep' for death.

Smileyrius

Tue 5 Jul, 2016 07:45 am
@AugustineBrother,
did Adam die?
0 Replies