What's your favorite vacation destination?

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 05:58 pm
I'm asked by family and friends where my favorite destination is, because they know I travel frequently. I tell them, I love all the places I have visited.
However, in my early years of travel, one of my favorite destination was London, because of their first class museums and theater district. I always visited the National Gallery, one of my favorites on this planet. On one of my one week visit to London, I saw three shows. The food improved dramatically from my first visit in the late fifties.
Even had an a2k meet at the Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese once, but that was many decades ago.
Haven't done much traveling the past decade, but have been to Cuba several times with my travel buddy Alexander. He's Canadian, but lives in Loreto, Mexico, and owns a realty company there. We have traveled all over Europe, Asia, and South America since my wife doesn't like to travel. Have met Hiroshi Robaina who owns the largest tobacco farm in Cuba. Also have several friends who work at restaurants and hotels in Cuba. Even saw Susan Sarandon at La Guarida restaurant in Havana.
I now have health issues, so my wife restricts my traveling, but we did go to Hawaii in January with my sister and her husband, and last month on a Trafalgar tour for one week.
I'm talking with my wife about a bus tour to Yosemite National Park this year.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 16 • Views: 1,812 • Replies: 17
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 06:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I went to Yosemite when very young. I would go back in a minute.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 11:19 pm
I absolutely love to travel to Europe, pretty much anywhere. I relish the difference of it, the food the architecture, the languages, the people.

I keep going back. Next year, Spain, Venice and possibly Ireland for a week.

I'm trying to fit in a return trip to the US - around Seattle (where I met the fabulous Stoat, Seattlefriend and Piffka and Mr Piffka) and then Vancouver.

And, of course, I love to travel around Australia. I'm trying to fit in a trip to the north west of Western Australia - one of the few areas I haven't been to yet.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 11:53 am
@margo,
I've been very fortunate to have been able to travel to all five continents that includes 93 countries since I started traveling while in the USAF back in the late fifties that sparked my interest. Having made friends in so many countries and the US has been the grand reward. I also enjoy cruising, because you spend enough time on ships to really meet the people. My last cruise was from Copenhagen to Halifax, and I met a gentleman from my home town and a San Francisco tv newscaster.
Traveling has many rewards besides seeing favorite tourist sites. My list of friends that I have met during my travels include Francisco Baez of Mexico City, the editor of the English newspaper in Mexico; Bill and Randee Duncan originally from Canada who now lives in Malaysia; Bill and Yvonne Lim of Singapore; Bashir Samma of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania; Alan and Fiona Smith of Manchester, England; Walter and Ulla Hinteler of Lippstadt, Germany; Bob Brodsky, rocket scientist, of Southern California; Cesar who works at Nacional Hotel, and Hiroshi Robaina of Cuba; Alexander Ogilvie, my travel buddy, who now lives in Loreto, Mexico, but originally from Vancouver.
I love traveling.
Foofie

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 01:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I love traveling.

As the host on Jeopardy might say, "good for you."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 05:22 pm
I live on low income but have loved to travel in my life. I've been known to not shut up about it. Now my traveling is through reading.

My present key places would be California, which is my home state in the US, and Italy, long time travel love in excess (have hundreds of books on it). I've not been to the rest of Europe, which I would greatly enjoy doing. Next, I'm interested in Latin America, and while I'm at it, I would like to see more of Canada. On Asia, I am so sorry I didn't go on a trip to Japan with a teacher/later colleague taking a group there in the early eighties.
0 Replies

advisorstable

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 10:09 pm
I shall say that one of the best vacation destinations for me is Hong Kong. It has been proven because I have been there twice already and still enjoying my trip to their beautiful tourists spots. My fave there are the night markets, foods , Disneyland, and Ocean Park.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 10:27 pm
@advisorstable,
I've also been to Hong Kong several times, and have enjoyed every visit there. Even traveled up to the China border when Hong Kong was still a colony of the UK. The one major purchase I made was a prescription eye glass that was much cheaper than in the US. I enjoy visiting the Raffles Hotel and their tea time. The huge neon signs that overlaps over the streets is unique to Hong Kong. The restaurants are amazing; even at the cheaper ones, one can get very good food. It's been over 25 years since my last visit, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't changed all that much. I took my son there on one visit on a trip to China that included Beijing and Shanghai. It's one of the liveliest cities in Asia.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 11:23 pm
I really liked S. Dakota.
margo

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 12:38 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I really liked S. Dakota.

Tell us why? Should I make a trip there, rather than Hong Kong?
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 12:50 pm
@margo,
We've also been to South Dakota. They have many interesting places to visit.
Destinations include:
Mount Rushmore National Memorial
Rapid City
Badlands National Park
Deadwood
Sioux Falls
chai2

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 02:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Personally, I thought Mount Rushmore sucked. Way over hyped. It was boring so we drove over to Wyoming and ate lunch with a view to Devils Tower. Didn't even need to go into the park.

I did love the Badlands, Custer National Park (got accosted by a some buffalos), going down into caverns and just driving around viewing the majesty.

Deadwood was very cool. We had lunch there.

My favorite attraction was a mammoth site in Hot Springs. I learned so much.

We visisted a sod house that prarie people who live in and entertained ourselves by trying to sneak up on prarie dogs.

I also really liked the people in S. Dakota. No fakey fake smiles or trying to impress.

I had some really great conversations while there.

Margo, the very thing I like most about SD as a tourist destination is that there is no "I'm just going to sit here and give you money so entertain me" crap.

If you dig driving for hours through land still mostly untouched, get excited by coming around a bend and seeing a herd of buffalo, and want to see weather patterns wage war across the biggest sky you'll ever see, and millions of stars at night, SD is a place for you.

You can spend days doing what many people today would consider nothing, and get everything out of it.
0 Replies

martinsmith12

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2016 11:55 pm
I had been to many places for vacations, but my favourite is Montgomery in Alabama, USA. The city has various Venues In Alabama to spend vacation weather your stay for a week or a day. The trips organize by them include sightseeing at historical places, experiencing outdoor adventures, spending the day by playing various sports like baseball, basketball, volleyball, boxing e.t.c. and spending nights by enjoying night events and concerts. That was my memorable vacation destination ever.
0 Replies

Travelomatrix

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2016 07:14 am
@cicerone imposter,
My favorite vacation destination is New York because one of the greatest city in the world, New York is always a hurricane of activities.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 04:33 pm
@Travelomatrix,
My last visit to NYC was in 2014. I did the VIP City Sights tour to visit most of the interesting sites in the city. The World Trade Center, Rockefeller Center, Central Park, Battery Park, Broadway, Wall Street, Radio City Music Hall, and the Empire State Building were really exceptional. Even met up with some a2kers at the hotel bar which I'll treasure for a long time.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 04:43 pm
Assateague Island.

Best places are where you have to walk in from the nearest road.

I don't like to vacation places where I can see buildings. I mean, I'll come back out to eat/sleep, but my actual vacation time is best spent somewhere I can walk near an ocean.
0 Replies

radha9512

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2018 12:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
My favorite was a getaway trip I planned to the Thar Desert in India. What I loved the most is the way locals Interacted with us. Their simplicity and gentleness was heart touching. The food is a bit spicy for me, but tasty never the less.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2018 04:45 pm
@radha9512,
Their curry is really some of the hottest on this planet.
0 Replies