Libel or Defamation

gollum

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 02:49 pm
If a man is gay but in the closet and a newspaper publishes a statement that he is gay, does he have legal basis to win a lawsuit against the newspaper?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,319 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 03:44 pm
In several states now (I presume you are talking about the USA) courts have ruled that falsely calling someone gay is not defamatory, since being gay is no longer considered (by most people) shameful or disgraceful. So name your jurisdiction.

roger

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 05:06 pm
@gollum,
Truth is a defense against libel and slander. Probably defamation as well
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 06:27 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs-

Thank you.

I live in New York State.

My question is about exposing someone who really is gay. I believe it was done by the Gawker website to Peter Thiel who was a gay closeted man.
boomerang

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 07:17 pm
@gollum,
I think Thiel would have a better case with "invasion of privacy".

I usually like Gawker but the back door way Thiel has gone after them has been really interesting.
0 Replies

Lilkanyon

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 08:59 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

If a man is gay but in the closet and a newspaper publishes a statement that he is gay, does he have legal basis to win a lawsuit against the newspaper?

liberace went through that when gay was absolutley unacceptable. Look up his history. He did win, but to protect his purgery, he had to remain in the closet for the rest of his days. Its a shame the choice was made foe him, but I say they did him a favor...own it and be proud.
0 Replies