Make My Favorite Character Gay?

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 02:32 pm
The latest trend in fictional revisionism:
The latest social media exercise/trend is redefining existing fictional characters into the LGBT community.

Why Giving Captain America A Boyfriend Makes Sense

and

#GiveElsaAGirlfriend social media campaign

As per usual, I'll hold my opinion to later.... What do you think?

jespah

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 02:58 pm
@tsarstepan,
My only concern is that this opens up a rather different can of invertebrates.

Elsa says no to (I forget his name) because he's a jerk. I would rather it didn't feel like, to the public, the reason was due to her sexuality and not his personality.

Steve Rogers is loyal to Peggy Carter, his lady friend from long ago, even though she has aged and he has not. He rebuffs Black Widow's advances because of this (I am basing my reading on The Winter Soldier film). I would rather he still felt love, even with the age difference, and that is the reason to tell Natasha no. Not that she isn't lovely or desirable or the like; it's that he feels loyalty and obligation and love for someone else and is not free (in his mind) to pursue other interests.
boomerang

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 07:12 pm
@tsarstepan,
I think Mary Tyler Moore and Rhoda would have made a good gay couple.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 03:52 am
Archie Bunker and Alf Garnett. (They're the same person anyway.)
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 05:57 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

He rebuffs Black Widow's advances because of this (I am basing my reading on The Winter Soldier film). I would rather he still felt love, even with the age difference, and that is the reason to tell Natasha no. Not that she isn't lovely or desirable or the like; it's that he feels loyalty and obligation and love for someone else and is not free (in his mind) to pursue other interests.

I saw that seen in a completely different manner. Natalia Romanoff (for me) wasn't making advances with Steve Rogers and vice versa. They were just lamenting about the difficulties of being in their position and the difficulties of connecting with others in romantic sort of ways. And yes, Steve Rogers still deeply loves Peggy Carter.

Different angle but basically the same effect as yours Jespah.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 06:48 am
I'm just tickled that some A2K'ers obviously share my fondness of the Marvel-verse. I've been a fan since I was 5-6 years old.
0 Replies