The Atheist Case For Recreational Drug Use

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 06:57 am
I’ve always wondered about this. If life is as the typical atheist conceives it, why would they not be in favor of or even demand the right to use any drug? I’m not saying this ‘tongue in cheek’, I really do wonder about this.

For background I quote Setanta from a previous thread:
Quote:
Setanta Wrote:
I don't serve any purpose. There is no purpose. Life is its own justification--it just is. There is no "standard" upon which life is based because life results whenever conditions favor its rise, and once life exists, it gets into all manner of places, with or without the consent of people addicted to thousands of years old mumbo-jumbo about magic beings in the sky.

This being the case, you have only this one in a trillion chance for existence, never to be repeated again. If you don’t experience something now in this irreplaceable life, it is lost to you forever. Why would you NOT want the opportunity to experience the perceptions that only certain ‘controlled substances’ can bring you?

I can understand caution, you don’t want to **** up your brain and risk messing up future minutes of this limited existence. But really now, we are intelligent enough to see past the ‘This is your brain on drugs’ nonsense. We know they don’t all have that effect. Even medical researchers are asking the government to lift the ban on such ‘dangerous’ drugs like LSD. Why don’t atheists who should be the most pragmatic thinkers on the planet demand that the government spend our hard earned tax dollars on how to safely use drugs rather than propaganda ads against them?

Perhaps you are totally satisfied with your drug free life and want to spend every minute of it perfectly ‘natural’ (whatever that means) , but surely you would not demand that everyone conform to your standard. There really IS no meaning let alone ‘standard’ on drug use to any honest atheist. And of course there is no ‘Flying spaghetti monster’ in the sky to judge us so that’s no reason to ban anyone’s kicks.

And there are those unpredictable things that happen in this single chance to live that might affect your perspective later. What if an accident or disease leaves you totally paralyzed, deaf, blind, unable to have sex, whatever your worst case scenario is. Would you not want to experience existence from another perspective or see things with senses you never knew you had or feel pleasures beyond your normal existence? Personally, I’d be livid if I were denied the chance for those opportunities in that situation.

Then there is the unexpected medical diagnosis. You are going to die in 3 – 6 months. Want a virtually cost free chance to see what ‘that drug’ does for you?

So what say you atheists? What is your reason for not wanting to use or at least legalize recreational drugs?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 19 • Views: 16,659 • Replies: 207

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 07:07 am
Your big mistake is in dividing people into atheist/non atheist camps. Nobody I ever knew has thought, "Well, I am an atheist; therefore I am compelled to do X." Atheists do or don't do drugs, based on personal experience and inclinations, same as anybody else.
timur

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 07:28 am
Lead foot wrote:
Why would you NOT want the opportunity to experience the perceptions that only certain ‘controlled substances’ can bring you?

For the very same reasons I don't want :
- Feel pain
- My heart broken
- Experience BDSM
- Be homeless
- Be alone
- Be broken

Life has many other ways to make us experience extraordinary sensations than through chemical mind modification inducing drugs..
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 07:32 am
@edgarblythe,
The point was not that they are atheists vs theists, in this discussion I don't care. My point was that that particular group has no logical reason for banning recreational drug use.

I wanted to avoid the inevitable and pointless arguments with believers in various religions about whether it was 'moral' or that 'we are the temple of God and therefore have no right to 'pollute' it with drugs, etc.

So back to the point, do you have any reason to ban recreational drug use?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 07:34 am
I have no "atheist" opinion.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 07:42 am
@timur,
Quote:
For the very same reasons I don't want :
- Feel pain
- My heart broken
- Experience BDSM
- Be homeless
- Be alone
- Be broken

Life has many other ways to make us experience extraordinary sensations than through chemical mind modification inducing drugs..
Your unspoken assumption is that all those things are the inevitable result of recreational drug use.

For obvious reasons they don't advertise it but there are regular users of heroin, cocaine, LSD, etc. who are leaders of industry, successful politicians and 'respectable people of all sorts' who you would never suspect.

"Drug Use" is not synonymous with "Drug Abuse". Anything can be abused. Obesity is said to be our biggest health problem in much of the world today. Lots of people abuse food to their own harm.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 07:44 am
@edgarblythe,
Glad to hear it but you DO have opinions.
Do you have any opinion on recreational drug use?
0 Replies

timur

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 07:59 am
Lead foot wrote:
Your unspoken assumption is that all those things are the inevitable result of recreational drug use.

Your inference about my "unspoken assumption" bears no semblance to reality and is, therefore, dismissed..
(It's funny, however, to have such inference made from someone that is supposed to have me on ignore.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 08:06 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
My point was that that particular group

there is no group

atheists are individuals

my experience is that, for the most part, theists are also individuals
Glennn

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 08:26 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
If you don’t experience something now in this irreplaceable life, it is lost to you forever.

Your statement assumes that others share your mistaken belief that after death, a person will be consciously and continually aware of what was missed.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 08:30 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
there is no group

One can only hopefully wait for that to be true one day.
Quote:
atheists are individuals

And I'm asking for their individual opinions on recreational drug use. As I told Edgar, they are the individuals with no obvious reason to oppose it.
Quote:
my experience is that, for the most part, theists are also individuals
Yes they are. But many of them have an obvious religious reason to oppose it.
engineer

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 08:30 am
@Leadfoot,
You seem to have an assumption that people who are religious would not be in favor of drug use. That is clearly wrong. I know religious people who are drug users and alcoholics. Some religions use what we would call recreational drugs to enhance their religious experience.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 08:35 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
But many of them have an obvious religious reason to oppose it.

my life experience is that there is significant alcohol and drug use and abuse in theist/religious communities
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 08:35 am
@Glennn,
Quote:
Leadfoot Quote:
"If you don’t experience something now in this irreplaceable life, it is lost to you forever."

Your statement assumes that others share your mistaken belief that after death, a person will be consciously and continually aware of what was missed.
That is irrelevant to the question and that's yet another reason why I addressed the question to people who don't have any theological beliefs.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 08:36 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
people who don't have any theological beliefs.

being a theist or atheist is not the same thing as having/not having theological beliefs
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 08:37 am
@Glennn,
that was a great point to pick up on

Leadfoot presents an assumption that we know anything about what follows death
ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 08:39 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
If life is as the typical atheist conceives it

what typical atheist? is there such a thing?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 08:40 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
my life experience is that there is significant alcohol and drug use and abuse in theist/religious communities
Very true, just as there are preachers who condemn homosexuality from the pulpit yet secretly pay for homosexual sex at other times.

But what is You're opinion of recreational drug use as an individual?
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 08:45 am
@engineer,
Quote:
You seem to have an assumption that people who are religious would not be in favor of drug use. That is clearly wrong. I know religious people who are drug users and alcoholics. Some religions use what we would call recreational drugs to enhance their religious experience.
Being a theist who favors people being free to make that choice, I don't make that assumption at all. It never even occurred to me.

I addressed it to atheists in order to limit it to a 'pure sample' of people who had no logical or religious reason to oppose recreational drug use.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 08:46 am
@Leadfoot,
On a personal level, it doesn't interest me. Tried a few things when I was an active theist/seeker. Didn't find an upside.