Am I cured of Guillian-barre syndrome?

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 10:47 am
Sorry in advance if I'm unclear about some things. I was about 4 yrs old when this happened and I'm not very educated when it comes to medicine and conditions. I also got most of this from my mom so.. bear with me.

As I said, I was about 4 yrs old when I had pneumonia and was given immunizations or vaccinations which was supposedly not supposed to happen(?) or they were given to me too early(?). Not 100% sure. But that was what triggered or caused my Guillian-barre syndrome according to my mom.

Not long after I had gotten home, I remember being paralyzed from my knees, down. My knees were locked in place in a kneeling position. I couldn't stand up or make them straight even though my parents pulled on them as I tried.

I must've been taken to the hospital soon after. The doctor(s) said I could have been permanently paralyzed or have died if it have been given more time to spread to my upper body or something like that.

So I was put to sleep, according to my mom they gave me some type of serum or.. something to "cure" me of my Guillian-barre syndrome. I woke up in a hospital bed with my legs straight. It took me about 2 months to be able walk normally again.

Ever since then, I've had no type of paralysis in any parts of my body. So I assumed whatever I had, which I now know was the Guillians, was cured...?

I'm 20 now and wondering if this syndrome could somehow be triggered again or if I still have it and what I have to watch out for.

Edit : Yes, I have looked it up and from what I've read, there is no cure for it.. but.. I'm not paralyzed anymore and have never had any paralysis since then. Which is why I'm curious what the deal is.. if I still have it and it could be triggered by something? Like infections or medication?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 611 • Replies: 1
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 05:21 pm
@James420,
Hi, James. I get your concern but don't know the answer myself, and, besides, we don't diagnose online in the first place. But I remember the syndrome - at least by name - from my days as an immunology tech, and thus suggest you check with a local immunologist. If that is hard to find by calling a university hospital, I'd suggest you consider contacting rheumatologists, since the people whom I worked with were generally both immunologists and rheumatologists.

If you can't afford a consult, I'd still suggest checking out a university hospital, as they often have clinics for various departments.
0 Replies