"The only person in the world named..."

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 07:31 pm
What if you bring up, in conversation, that your friend, "Koeltyne," is the only person in the world named "Koeltyne," but then he brings up that you aren't being specific enough? His argument is you have to give the spelling of the name in order to be more specific as there are others in the world with homophones of it. Bear in mind both individuals already know the correct spelling of the name, thus there is no need to be more specific in my opinion. Who is correct here?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,117 • Replies: 1
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 07:37 pm
I am the only person in the world with my name. Seriously - my surname is hyphenated and it is a unique combination. My maiden name is a lot more unique than my husband's surname, but the combination has got to be unique, particularly when you factor in my first name, which is old-fashioned and pretty uncommon these days.

It doesn't make any sense to clarify spelling it unless you're, well, spelling it.
0 Replies