Punctuation: Dashes in a sentence

agjare

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 03:06 am
I have a question regarding the use of dashes to indicate a clarifying or specifying statement. I'll give you the example in question:

"Whereas analytic induction may be unsuitable to capture the complexity of many social phenomena – and education certainly is complex –, the grounded theory approach is geared specifically towards providing rich accounts."

OR

"Whereas analytic induction may be unsuitable to capture the complexity of many social phenomena – and education certainly is complex, the grounded theory approach is geared specifically towards providing rich accounts."

The comma is needed in any case. The dash and comma together looks a bit "messy", but somehow feels right. The second example is neater. Which one is correct? Should I avoid the dashes altogether?

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 03:49 am
1. In the first sentence, the comma after the second dash is not needed.

2. Parenthetical information can be offset with dashes:

Whereas analytic induction may be unsuitable to capture the complexity of many social phenomena – and education certainly is complex – the grounded theory approach is geared specifically towards providing rich accounts."

or commas:

Whereas analytic induction may be unsuitable to capture the complexity of many social phenomena, and education certainly is complex, the grounded theory approach is geared specifically towards providing rich accounts."

or even parentheses themselves:

Whereas analytic induction may be unsuitable to capture the complexity of many social phenomena (and education certainly is complex) the grounded theory approach is geared specifically towards providing rich accounts."

In your second example sentence, you precede the insertion with a dash but follow it with a comma. You cannot do this. Choose one style and stick to it.

roger

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 03:51 am
@Tes yeux noirs,

Tes yeux noirs wrote:

In your second example sentence, you precede the insertion with a dash but follow it with a comma. You cannot do this. Choose one style and stick to it.

Always glad to learn something new.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 04:54 am
Some further reading:

"Dashes are used to offset parenthetical information – that is, information which you might put in parentheses. When you use parentheses, though, the emphasis is taken off the parenthetical information and put on the rest of the sentence. When you use dashes (two of them), the emphasis is put on the information within the dashes."
https://www.grammarly.com/handbook/punctuation/dash/2/dash-parenthetical-information/

"Writing that engages — that grabs — and writing that is dramatic depends heavily on both the parentheses and the dash (or it should). These two types of punctuation have been duking it out for many years. Proponents of each argue back and forth about which is the most understandable in modern writing."
https://www.grammarly.com/blog/duking-it-out-parentheses-vs-dash/

"The problem with the dash—as you may have noticed!—is that it discourages truly efficient writing. "
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/the_good_word/2011/05/the_caseplease_hear_me_outagainst_the_em_dash.html

roger

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 12:11 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Thanks again.
0 Replies

agjare

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 05:44 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Thank you for your comment, I appreciate it.

I blame MS Word, which try to correct your first suggestion into my first suggestion.
0 Replies