Reply Sun 29 May, 2016 11:13 pm
@roger,
Whew, I find it terrifying.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 03:20 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

The problem with many people's analysis, in my opinion, is that they make Trump out as a great manipulator of people's logical thinking. I would not underestimate the masses that voted for Trump. There is an old expression called, "spite work." It has a more visceral meaning in Russian Yiddish, but perhaps, some/many of those that voted for him are doing it out of spite, for having seen their vision of America trampled on during the last eight years. In effect the message might be, payback is a bitch when one messes with the majority?

These people are not the majority. They make up a little less than half of the Republican presidential primary voting public.

At most, the "spite work" is the flailing of the dying White American bigot.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 04:14 am
@RABEL222,
I don't think this is true. Sanders has been pretty clear on how it will take no less than a political revolution to make the things he is advocating for come true. I can't remember him ever saying that it's enough to elect him president, GOP congress and all, and poof - free tuition, universal healthcare, etc.
revelette2

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 06:39 am
@nimh,
The political revolution hasn't come to pass and he is still talking about it as though he is going to president and there is a revolution taking place as we type. I think he is mistaking his rallies for a revolution.
Miller

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 09:15 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Why do you suppose so many people have left their common sense at the door and embraced the vaporous promises of a con man?

Like Trump, Sanders may be viewed as a "CON-MAN", full of "vaporous promises", none of which can ever be fulfilled. Moreove, Sanders is as full of BS as is Trump.

The only difference between these two New Yorkers could be that while Trump believes in God, Sanders does not .
snood

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 09:55 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

glitterbag wrote:

Why do you suppose so many people have left their common sense at the door and embraced the vaporous promises of a con man?

Like Trump, Sanders may be viewed as a "CON-MAN", full of "vaporous promises", none of which can ever be fulfilled. Moreove, Sanders is as full of BS as is Trump.

The only difference between these two New Yorkers could be that while Trump believes in God, Sanders does not .

What makes you think that? Because Trump said so?
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 10:54 am
@Miller,
Some of the promises of Sanders could be fulfilled or at least partially or in another form; I honestly think by Hillary. He doesn't rely on congress to fulfill his campaign promises, he believes a revolution will make those in congress do the will of the revolutionaries or else be voted out. From what I gather on reading about his history, it is his lifelong dream. I don't think he is a con man, I think he is sincere and believes every word he has been saying. I still think in his in own way he would be as dangerous as Trump precisely because he is so sincere and in my opinion, driven and extreme.

I don't believe he has said whether he believes in God one way or another. Just because he divorced his first wife to marry a Catholic does not mean he doesn't believe in God, even he doesn't, it really doesn't matter as long as keeps the separation between church and state.
snood

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 11:13 am
@revelette2,
Doesn't matter to me what politician believes (or not) in God; I was reacting to it being stated as fact that this one does, and this one doesn't. Doesn't seem to be that cut and dried.
revelette2

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 11:14 am
@snood,
I agree, I haven't heard one way or another about Sander's religious views. I agree with you, it is not important at all.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 08:06 pm
@revelette2,
Borrowed from another thread; from a Canadian.
https://www.facebook.com/TruthInsideOfYou/videos/1135197283212938/
RABEL222

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 09:02 pm
@revelette2,
Rev you need to read Bernies speeches. He dosent say elect a liberal congress and we can do these things. He says elect ME and I will get these things for you. He is either a liar or he is living in LA LA land.
RABEL222

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 09:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Damned smart assed Canadians!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 09:58 pm
This is the Bill Maher interview with Scott Adams (Dilbert creator) that scared me the other night. He talks about why he correctly predicted last year that Trump would handily win the GOP nomination, and (the scary part) why Trump will win the general in a landslide.

I hope he's wrong, but check out what he says and let me know if it's scary to you....

glitterbag

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 10:08 pm
@snood,
I caught the show Friday night, it was frightening. I haven't been able to get it out of my head.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 06:56 am
As Molly Ivins would have said, I think it sounded better in the original German.

"Politicians have used you and stolen your votes. They have given you nothing. I will give you everything. I will give you what you've been looking for to 50 years. I'm the only one." --- Donald Trump

http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2016/05/so-refreshing-to-see-politician-who.html
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 08:10 am
@RABEL222,
I have been reading his speeches, more so now than at any time in this election cycle. At the heart of his campaign is all about organizing a revolution to change the way voters vote, getting the ones who don't vote in midterms or even on Presidential elections (or they vote republican against their better interest )to vote by way of a revolution. Vox explains it all very well.

Much of the political revolution is about convincing more white people to back Democrats

Quote:

When discussing how he'll make his revolution happen, one thing Sanders often talks about is mobilizing people who don't tend to turn out to vote. "Sixty percent of the American people are not likely to vote in the coming [midterm] election," he told a crowd in Waterloo, Iowa, back when he was considering whether to run. "You think you can bring around change with that dynamic? You can have the best human being in the world in the White House fighting all the right fights, and he or she will fail."

But beyond these vague and theoretical nonvoters — whom politicians of all stripes frequently claim they'll be able to conjure— Sanders has a very specific idea about just which demographic Democrats need to improve among: white people, especially older ones living in rural areas.

Here's how he put it in 2005, shortly after President George W. Bush's reelection:

Why is it that two-thirds of white, rural men voted Republican? Why? That’s what we have to address. That’s crazy. These people are working longer and longer hours. They can’t afford to pay $3.50 for a gallon of gas. They’re losing their jobs. So why do they vote for President Bush? And the Republican Party? We’ve got to address this…

What we have to do is knock on doors and go into communities where there are people who disagree with us on certain issues. And we have to talk to them. They’re our friends. They’re our allies. They’re our co-workers. We can’t see them as enemies. That’s easier said than done. All over this country you have progressive communities like Madison and Burlington, but we’ve got to go well, well, well outside of those communities. We’ve got to go to the rural areas. We’ve got to go where a lot of working people are voting Republican.

And when I sat down with him in 2014, he made a very similar point:

I do not know how you can concede the white working class to the Republican Party which is working overtime to destroy the working class in America. Of course we’ve gotta work with the African-American community and the Hispanic community and minority communities, absolutely, and I’m proud of my record on all of those issues.

But you can’t concede the white working-class community, which is hurting. You can’t concede the senior community. The idea that Democrats are losing among seniors when you have a major Republican effort to destroy Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid is literally beyond my comprehension.

To Sanders, this isn't just a theory — he believes he's already pulled it off in his home state. He thinks that because he's made his case on economic issues so loudly, he's repeatedly won double-digit victories in Vermont, the second-whitest, second-oldest, and second-most-rural state in the nation. He continued:

What I’ve said to people in Vermont is, look, we may disagree on this or that issue — my whole life I’ve been strongly pro-choice, I voted against DOMA when I was in the House, not many of us did. I am pro-gay rights. Not everybody in Vermont shares that perspective.

But what I have made clear, I think, over the years, is that I am pro-working families, I am pro-middle class, I am pro-senior, I am pro-low income. And as the mayor of Burlington, as a congressman, and as a senator I’ve carried through on those issues.

And I think what people end up saying is that, well, you know, I may disagree with Bernie Sanders on the abortion issue or the gay rights issue, but I know he’s fighting for me and my kids. And I happen to believe that if you are strong on those issues people will give you a little bit of slack on some of the other issues that you may disagree with.

There is more before and after, but to give you the gist of it, he is about a political revolution, a narrow focused political revolution. I have read one of Sander's biggest mistakes in this election cycle was basically dismiss the blacks in the south. That is where he lost the primary and Hillary cleaned up, right or wrong, that is where he lost.

0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 03:10 am
Question: What is Donald Trump selling?

I hope thin air. I really hope thin air.
At worst, I expect he'll make a killing by making a deal with the shoe manufacturing industry... Jackboots might see a resurgence if his rhetoric holds true and he takes the White House.

scottphares

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 10:15 am
@glitterbag,
He is selling the dream of a white paradise to all the racist rubes who have been seething for the last 8 years. He is their white knight in shining armor who will give them their God given rights that the brown skins have stolen away. And who knows, by associating with him, they may just become millionairs themselves (just by sitting there and dreaming about valhalla and valkyries and their norse and viking and celtic roots)
Trump will give them what is rightfully theirs
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 10:35 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
He is either a liar or he is living in LA LA land.

Or, by ways of third option, your claim is incorrect.
nimh

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 10:38 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
I think he is mistaking his rallies for a revolution.

Well, it's a starting point ... many political revolutions start with rallies. Doesn't mean they'll succeed, of course. But you've got to start somewhere I guess.

And of course he's still talking about it - he's talked about the need for one all his life. What else is he supposed to do but to keep making his case? Then it's up to others to believe it or not.
0 Replies