Just 'average'?

Earane

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 11:09 am
Hi! I have been told by many people that I am pretty/beautiful throughout my life. For myself, I think I look okay, and sometimes I can feel pretty. But my friend told me the other day that I looked 'just average'. I know it's so stupid and superficial of me, but I just can't get it out of my head. I know everything is not about looks.. And I know that not everyone is going to think I am pretty. But she's my friend, and I wonder why she said that? I mean, maybe she told me the 'truth'? To be honest, I think she is pretty average-looking as well, but I haven't told her. I mean, well.. It just bothers me a little bit. Because.. I don't really agree with her, I guess..? How would you have reacted?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 292 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 11:22 am
@Earane,
The criteria that make for beauty reflects a composite of average features. Meaning nothing stands out as odd, and together is beautiful.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 11:25 am
@Earane,
Attractiveness is subjective. There are women that some men may say are ugly while others think are beautiful.

It is stupid and heartless of a friend to say something like that. Obviously you wouldn't. And seeing that beauty is subjective why would you even say that? Did you ask her why she provided that information? Was it under a particular circumstance? Was it that you were dressed average and didn't do much to "perk" yourself up - like it was a sweats/hair in pony tail type of day? Or was it directed overall to how you appear.

There may be truth in what she said because that is her opinion - however, the majority of the world may look at you and think you are beautiful. In the end, it matters most what you feel and how you feel about yourself - that will portray confidence which makes everyone look above average.

I wonder if she lacks confidence - and said such a thing to boost herself up in her mind - otherwise I cannot imagine why anyone especially a friend would make such a comment.
engineer

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 12:07 pm
@Linkat,
I think there is a tendency to perceive others how you perceive yourself. If you think you aren't that good looking, you likely will grade others harshly as well. There is also a question of what your standard of beauty is. I think the commercial world in whatever country you are in tries to define what beauty should be, but the reality is that men find a wide swatch of women beautiful and what that group looks like varies a lot from man to man.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 01:05 pm
@Earane,
Why can't you be both pretty, and average? If all women are beautiful, then beautiful is average by definition.

If you can be beautiful without needing to be more beautiful then other women, then you will be much happier.

You can't be above average unless someone is below average... do you really want to do that to another woman?

0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 10:58 pm
What do you want to be? Cute, stunning? Pretty?

Maybe it might be as simple as getting a makeover to move you into something more than "average."
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Just 'average'?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 07:54:25