Dealing with mixed priorities at work

Linkat

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 08:19 am
We are in the midst of one of our busier times at work - (I have things running in the background while I write this and today I have fewer for once due) - any way -- this results in late nights to complete client deliverables.

Conflicting with our client deliverables is required online training-there are 3 recent ones. These are important as they deal with regulations and laws and so forth. The emails being sent out telling us we need to complete XYZ training also states that the training is due dates - the dates range from late June to early July so we have time.

Then we start getting emails from higher ups within the department -- you are on list stating you haven't completed the training please do so asap. Ok well these aren't due for a month or more and I am a day late already on one client deliverable and I have two others also due today; logically which should I do - so I complete the client deliverables.

This morning (as I got another email last night; I am not alone in this - was a nicer one at least asking me to complete the training this week) so this morning at 7:30am I begin the three online trainings. I get through two and another email comes out - I sent a response letting them know I have completed two and in the process of finishing the third - he replies thanks I don't want anyone written up for this.

What the F? It clearly says on the company wide emails that these are not due until end of June and some into July.

Are our department priorities screwed?

George

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 08:40 am
We have a similar situation.

The decree comes down from corporate with due dates in, say, October.

But the director of our division wants to be sure we're not late, so he
decrees a due date in September.

Then the department head -- wishing to cover his tush -- informs us we
must be complete by end of August.

At the upper levels they are way too caught up in corporate bs and lose
sight of what really makes money for the company -- taking care of
customers.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 09:22 am
@George,
If everything is a priority, then nothing is a priority.

If I get conflicting priorities, I shoot it to my manager to sort out. That's what he's for, IMO.
Linkat

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 10:58 am
@DrewDad,
Its coming from my manager.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 11:22 am
@Linkat,
So they should tell you which of the two is a priority. If they cannot... innocently suggest the two of you reach out to their boss for clarification.
Linkat

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 11:28 am
@DrewDad,
Oh it would be the training, but we are also still expected to get our deliverables out on time - we just need to work longer hours to finish.

It is simply frustrating because you know the true deadline is over a month, but because status reports are run and then sent listing who has not taken the training yet from each level - we get pushed to finish it "by today or else you will be written up." So you just end up working a couple of hours later or get up at 5 am to do the training - when you are already putting in 10 hours a day ---

chai2

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 11:35 am
@Linkat,
What would their answer be if you asked them why if your understanding the deadline is a month away, why it's changed to now, and is involving disciplinary action.

I think that's more than a fair question.

It sounds to me like a mass communication was put out putting the due date at the end of the month, but that's the date it's got to be at the final person/department.

If data has to be passed through several departments, of course it will take time for each stage to be rolled up to the next level.

In that case though, the final deadline should have been communicated to the 2nd to last person, and then each stage along the path could have been given their own deadline to get to the next step.

DrewDad

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 11:38 am
@Linkat,
So do you get comp time later in the year, when you're not so busy?
Linkat

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 01:24 pm
@chai2,
If you say that --- they just state (or at least my most recent manager that was just laid off - nothing to do with this) we keep getting your name on a list so they want to stop getting the lists sent - in other words sh*t rolls down - they get a list and something saying that you need to have your people complete this right away so I don't keep getting reminded about it.

Funny thing is one of the classes (only one) had an optional survey at the end - in the comment section I expressed my dissatisfaction with how deadlines are pushed weeks and even months earlier than the actual deadline to the extent that we are taking online training as a priority over meeting client deliverables.

Probably won't go any where - but at least I had the opportunity to vent.
Linkat

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 01:25 pm
@DrewDad,
No - I am salaried - no overtime and no compensation for working 10+ hours. Get the same pay no matter whether I work 100 a week or 4.

I do though take advantage of things when it is slower to run errands and so forth - but officially unless I work on a holiday no comp time.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 01:45 pm
@Linkat,
Well, I'm salaried, too, but my company recognizes that working people to death isn't a good strategy. Work folks 10 or 12 hours a day and you start experiencing unacceptable turnover rates.

Granted, management is still kinda stuck in the 1980s, where they want everyone on site and they think productivity is measured in hours.....
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 03:06 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

they just state..... we keep getting your name on a list so they want to stop getting the lists sent

So boss, you don't want to find out why you are being sent lists of names repeatedly for tasks that aren't yet due?

Sure, I don't mind being threatened with being written up over something that shouldn't even be getting sent out.

roger

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 03:13 pm
@DrewDad,
Right. Kind of like focusing on everything.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 07:35 pm
@chai2,
It's called CYA....that is what happens ... I really am not worried about being written up about something sonsyupid...I find it an empty threat...and I am being threatened by a VP I don't even report to.

My new VP hasn't contacted me yet. The level above that position actually requested this is a nice way..sort of apologizing type way.
chai2

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 09:06 pm
@Linkat,
Oh I wouldn't feel threatened, just aggravatated that someone thought they could threaten me.

I'm just saying that anyone with a lick of common sense would have thought to ask whoever is acting like this is due now, when it's a month from now, what lead them to that conclusion and why.

If they wanted it by Tuesday, they should have made the deadline Tuesday.

Linkat

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 09:29 pm
@chai2,
As in my very wise and quite loved grandmother in law's words.. it's just dumb. Loved that woman.
0 Replies