Onlookers Filming Police: Citizen Journalists or Dangerous Obstruction?

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 10:29 am
Bratton: There's An "Epidemic" Of People Filming Police

So? What part does the average citizen play when filming police arrest someone (no matter if that person is guilty or not... or does that change things)?

Not talking about people filming another person who is the midaccident/incident that can be simply prevented if they put down the smartphone and helped the person in question.

engineer

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 11:16 am
@tsarstepan,
I think it has reached the point where police must suspect that they are always on camera so they need to be at their most professional. That's not a bad thing.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 11:32 am
@engineer,
My thinking exactly.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 12:30 pm
Everybody must get filmed. It's the reality that likely will grow. Somebody vanishes: Within a few days a video surfaces of either the event or it a few minutes removed. More and more cops wear cameras. As much as I value my privacy, at home, I welcome the mass videos.
snood

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 12:43 pm
If they could federally mandate body-cams on all law enforcement officers (something both Bernie and Hillary are for), and enforce it, then there would be far less need for every citizen to whip out his phone camera to keep those wonderful guys in black and blue accountable.
roger

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 12:47 pm
@snood,
Guess which videos are most likely to disappear.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 12:53 pm
@tsarstepan,

Good.

Folks should abide by reasonable requests, such as remaining at a safe distance, but filming police is a First Amendment right.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 01:02 pm
@roger,
Hence "if they could mandate and enforce it".

No one is saying it would be perfect. I think it would be better than the way it is now.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 01:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
I know there are murmurs and serious articles about the necessity for people not to film/shoot various urban areas, with or without police in the photo. As a long time photography enthusiast (I wasn't bad at it but my vision got fuzzier in time, this before all the automated new stuff. I tended to photo urban areas or sometimes architecture, still keen interests). I still treasure my photos to the max, even the later fuzzier ones. Anyway, there is some fear out there re people photoing, re the nosing around, spying possibilities, possible setups.

When I visited in Chicago with other a2k folk in 2oo6, I was lead to believe via some article that I couldn't photo inside the Bean, and maybe that included the outside. I did it anyway, brat that I am. JoefromChicago told me something like 'not to worry, that doesn't hold water'. I think I remember the forbidding was done by the artist, Anish Kapoor, but don't trust me, except that I had felt warned. I was there early morning, plenty of good photos, alone in the space, including the whole area.

Re filming police and arrests? I suppose the arguments on this will escalate, as even a video can hold some bias, but I think right-to-photo in these situations will win.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Onlookers Filming Police: Citizen Journalists or Dangerous Obstruction?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 05:45:09