What does this paragraph mean?

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 02:00 am
The prerequisite of calm in a teacher is a degree of indifference as to the success or failure of the lesson. One naturally wants for things to go well, but if an obdurate pupil flunks trigonometry, it is – at base – their problem. Tempers can stay even because individual students do not have very much power over teachers’ lives. Fortunately, as not caring too much turns out to be a critical aspect of successful pedagogy.

izzythepush

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 04:46 am
@123456------,
Basically in order to be a successful teacher one needs to remain calm and not get too emotionally invested in pupil's behaviour/progress, the flip side of this is that an unruly pupil will probably be allowed to fail.

It's over wordy and misleading, whoever wrote it seems to feel a need to show how smart they are. Instead they put a lot of people off, and don't impress anyone.
Setanta

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 04:53 am
I agree that it's very badly written.
123456------

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 04:58 am
@izzythepush,
I like your answer so much, but I still could not understand "have much power over teachers' lives" , could you help me again?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 05:03 am
@123456------,
Pupils can't do much to damage teacher's careers, but teachers can make life very difficult for some pupils if they want to.
123456------

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 05:05 am
@Setanta,
I cannot agree more. This paragraph cones from a artical of a translation contest. The whole passage is so weird and complicated, making me crazy!
0 Replies

123456------

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 05:08 am
@izzythepush,
oh, you are so nice! thank you for helping me!
0 Replies

123456------

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 05:26 am
@izzythepush,
One knows intuitively, when teaching a child, that only the utmost care and patience will ever work: one must never shout, one has to use extraordinary tact, one has to make ten compliments for every one negative remark and one must leave oneself plenty of time…

All this wisdom we reliably forget in love’s classroom, sadly because increasing the level of threat seldom hastens development. We do not grow more reasonable, more accepting of responsibility and more accurate about our weaknesses when our pride has been wounded, our integrity is threatened and our self-esteem has been violated.
some times i find it's difficult to understand foreign
people' passage and their use of word such as "negative remark" and "reliably forget" oh, i am so confused! could you help me?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 05:39 am
@123456------,
A negative remark is criticism, like messy handwriting, poor sentence structure, that sort of thing.

Reliably forget is the author's attempt at humour, they're suggesting all teachers will forget what they're taught about classroom management once they start teaching and rely on gut instinct.
123456------

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 08:30 am
@izzythepush,
All this wisdom we reliably forget in love’s classroom, sadly because increasing the level of threat seldom hastens development.
i appreciate your excellent answer, but how to understand
above sentence? thank you so much!
izzythepush

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 09:21 am
@123456------,
Kids don't learn more if they feel threatened.
0 Replies