Ignorance = Happiness?

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 02:58 pm
Sometimes, it seems that people who go by without deepening on their life, the meaning of things, the reasons to do their daily chores, etc. live happier.

What's your thought on this subject?
Is thinking profoundly and becoming aware of one's existence a detour from a happier life?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,027 • Replies: 14
No top replies

SCoates

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 03:11 pm
It seems like it. But I'd rather learn anyway.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 03:47 pm
I suppose that someone with a child-like ignorance of the realities of life could be happy, but I find my own happiness in learning and growing (hopefully wiser). I don't think that knowledge itself causes unhappiness, unless you are unable to deal with the consequences and obligations acquired by your deeper understanding of life.
0 Replies

coming

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 07:10 pm
A little knowlege is a dangerous thing
I can live with knowing that I am ignorant. I cannot stand fools though. Attack is a form of defence. Dieu est mon droit.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 11:30 pm
there is a certain caveat to intellect; the more one understands, the more one has to take on the implications of that knowledge.

once one realizes the truth of the fact that more than half the people on this planet wake up hungry every morning, it becomes more difficult to go merrily on, living in a society of excess, and waste, without taking on the burden of the needs of the other half.

the corollory is that people who simply cannot grasp the bigger issues, feel no need to, and are frequently able to operate successfully on that level.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 06:27 am
Just on a whim, after seeing this thread, I did a Google search for 'what me worry', famous MAD magazine tagline. It was quite enlightening!
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 01:06 pm
that's a nice point, BoGoWo.

What's 'what me worry' all about?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 02:30 pm
MAD magazine used to have this gap-toothed, red-headed moron as their mascot, named Alfred E. Neuman. He was a cartoon of course. His tagline was "What, me worry?" It was sort of a political statement at the time, regarding the ignorance of the general public during tense political times. It has been adopted (according to my Google search) by a lot of thinkers.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 12:44 am
I see, thanks for the info
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 06:43 am
and Joe; in case you are not intimately familiar with CavFancier's brilliant intellectual works, i offer a sample thread link:
"The Meaning of Life"

[What? me worry!]
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 06:44 am
Laughing Hey, it's the great equalizer.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 06:51 am
what price - "equality"?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 07:01 am
What's the price on noseplugs these days?
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 09:28 am
If you belong to an Olympic Sychronized Swimming Team, you get a great discount!

[and numerous other complimentary gratuities! Shocked Rolling Eyes Embarrassed ]
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 08:54 pm
cavfancier's work you link too is indeed brilliant though not very intellectual Cool

returning to the topic...

what do you think if you see it the other way around?

a local poet wrote that Rothenberg said "enlightment is also a pain".. what are your views on that?
0 Replies