Trump Goes After Well Liked Republican Governor

Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 01:41 pm
Trump, looking to boost his ratings with women and latinos as well as shore up support in a swing state, decided to go after New Mexico's popular Republican Latina governor.

Quote:
Donald Trump scored a twofer at a rally in New Mexico: insulting a fellow Republican, who also happens to be one of the nation's highest-ranking Latino officeholders.

Trump told a raucus crowd in Albuquerque on Tuesday night that the state's governor, Susana Martinez, has to "get going" and "do a better job."

“She's not doing the job. We’ve got to get her moving. Come on. Let's go, Governor,” Trump said to cheers.

His comments did not appear to be off the cuff. Trump read from a sheet of paper as he reeled off statistics claiming higher unemployment and increased dependence on food stamps in the state. He also said Martinez had not done enough to prevent Syrian refugees from resettling there.

“Is it your fault or is it your government’s fault? It’s the government fault,” he said. "Maybe I’ll run for governor of New Mexico. I’ll get this place going.”

Of course, Martinez has never been a Trump fan.
Quote:
Last month, she told a group of wealthy GOP donors in Palm Beach, Fla., that she was offended as a Latina, and that his plans to make Mexico pay for a border wall were irresponsible, according to a Washington Post account .

She had previously called his comments labeling Mexicans who cross the border as rapists and criminals "completely and unequivocally wrong."

Martinez, the nation's only Latina governor, heads the Republican Governors Assn. She had been considered a potential vice presidential pick, which now seems unlikely.

ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 01:50 pm
@engineer,
Not being a Republican and not being a subscriber to the two major newspapers in New Mexico, I miss much of what goes on with her. No doubt we would have disagreements, but I sort of like her from afar. Maybe she just looks serene, but she appears to have a serene sort of presence.

Trump, on the other hand..
engineer

Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 02:00 pm
@ossobuco,
It's been a tough term for her with her approval ratings dropping below 50% and New Mexico having the worst economic recovery in the nation. She has also refused to endorse Trump in public and been very critical in private so I guess Trump decided to sacrifice her to make a point to other governors and senators who haven't endorsed him. Still, for someone who needs to make up ground with women and Hispanics, this looks like a bonehead move. Also, NM is a bluish state that Martinez made red. I doubt NM is going to decide the electoral college, but not a great move IMO.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 10:09 pm
What a relief. When I saw the thread title I thought she was going to be his vice presidential pick.
roger

Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 10:56 pm
@Kolyo,
You expect sanity? How novel.
Lilkanyon

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 12:04 am
@roger,
Yeah, he repeated she should "step up" over and over. She took the high road and said it was just politics but she was too busy to attend his rally. She didnt want to even attend the convention until she was reminded she had to cuz shes the head of the GOP governors. Shes right in bed with Ryan in despising him but incapable of saying so.
0 Replies