The Revenge of Sandra Fluke

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 07:42 am
I saw this interesting article about the challenges Rush Limbaugh is facing and how it all ties back to his comments about Sandra Fluke. I thought it was interesting how of all the incendiary things Limbaugh has said over the years, it was this particular incident that significantly damaged the worth of his brand and that of talk radio in general so that even as he has record audiences, he is losing stations and will likely face a significant pay cut when his contract is renewed this year. It also shows the remarkable staying power of the anti-Rush boycott.
Quote:
Why? Because four years after Limbaugh called Georgetown law student Sandra Fluke a “slut” on air, spurring a major boycott movement, reams of advertisers still won’t touch him. He suffers from what talk radio consultant Holland Cooke calls a “scarlet letter among national brand advertisers.” And for someone who has said that “confiscatory ad rates” are a key pillar of his business, that spells trouble. ...

Limbaugh’s extremely lucrative eight-year contract—estimated to be worth roughly $38 million a year—is up this summer. What will happen to “America’s Anchorman,” as Limbaugh quasi-ironically refers to himself, once the contract is up, is anybody’s guess. Because as he is learning, political power does not necessarily a stellar business make.

Quote:
But by attacking Fluke in such grotesque terms, Limbaugh broke a cardinal rule of radio—not to mention polite society, says Darryl Parks, a radio industry veteran and former Clear Channel news-talk format chief based in Cincinnati: “Don’t beat up on a woman, and don’t beat up on a [young person].”

In one fell swoop, he had done both.

Quote:
The Sandra Fluke incident “did a lot of harm to talk radio,” Darryl Parks says. “Thirty-eight percent of revenue disappeared overnight.” And the damage was not limited to Limbaugh; he hurt all of talk radio, including even some liberal hosts. Certain programs—Michael Savage, for example, and in an earlier era, Bob Grant—had always been considered “toxic” by some advertisers, but after the Fluke incident, entire stations—or indeed, the entire format of talk radio—were deemed no-go zones by blue chip brands.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 2,208 • Replies: 38

revelette2

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 08:04 am
@engineer,
I am glad he is going out (If he is) over this particular incident. I only wish planned parenthood could have benefited more from the fall out. However, perhaps some of it was bound to happen at some point, talk radio seems a little outdated in this age where there are so many forms of communication. Still, if the article is right, it couldn't happen to a more fitting guy.
engineer

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 08:21 am
@revelette2,
I doubt he is going out, it is more that he is looking at a 50-60% pay cut. Now the guy has millions and makes millions so it's not like he will be applying for food stamps, but it is nice to know that we do have some standards in this country and that public outrage can translate into repercussions for the powerful, even if it is only a pay cut.
snood

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 09:32 am
@engineer,
I tend to doubt that this is the end of Rash Lamebrow, just because our society seems to feed off of things like him and keep them alive like cockroaches.

But I do think its the beginning of the end. He is a creature made up of like 50% ego and 50% hate, and I bert the big slash to outlets feeding that bloat will start to ebb his life force (one can hope, anyway).

Anyway, bad fortune couldn't happen to a more deserving human.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 09:38 am
Considering how people gobble up the hatred and other disgusting vomit exiting from Donald Trump's mouth; it seems unlikely that Mr.Limbaugh is going to be disappearing any time soon.
farmerman

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 09:50 am
@Sturgis,
agreed. Limbo's unfamiliarity with facts and truth have not seemed to hurt him. As Lucy said
"If you cant be right, be wrong at the top of your voice"
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 11:56 am
@Sturgis,
He can speak to the same crowd today that gobbled up his endless Clinton fodder from 1992. He's going nowhere, I'm sure.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 01:47 pm
@engineer,
It's his record audiences that are propelling his like-minded associate, Donald Trump, to the presidential election.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 03:54 pm
@engineer,
While this is all probably true, I think his deafness may well be part of this, too.

He's always held up as an example of how cochlear implants really can work great -- he's a radio guy for gosh sakes! -- but I've been interested in that and have gathered over the years that actually, his CIs are not that effective. Formerly an extremely social guy, he now much prefers to visit with people one-on-one or not at all. And he also has a "court reporter," which is what he calls a real-time captionist. That is, he doesn't hear the people who call into the show, but has someone who types what is being said, and then responds to that.

I did a deep dive on this about a year ago, cites on request.
sozobe

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 04:00 pm
@sozobe,
Oh I found the main cite ("court reporter" et al) faster than I expected to. Excerpt:

Quote:
If there are electronics involved, I'm stuck. So that's why you don't see me on TV. I literally cannot do it. I cannot hear remotely, and even if I'm in a studio and I'm hooked up, I don't hear every word, and then I have to start guessing at what I've heard. And, believe me, it's not conducive to a flowing conversation. There's no court reporter. There's nobody transcribing what's being said on a TV set for me to look in case I need some help. It just isn't there, and that wouldn't work on TV anyway, because no matter how fast it is, it's not instantaneous.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2015/08/28/caller_how_did_it_really_feel_to_go_deaf
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 04:52 pm
@engineer,
Regardless of what you think about Limbaugh, his "slut" comment hasn't hurt his brand. Selective quotes notwithstanding.
snood

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 04:54 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Regardless of what you think about Limbaugh, his "slut" comment hasn't hurt his brand. Selective quotes notwithstanding.

Hasn't hurt his brand? Do you not count the loss of half his corporate sponsors?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 04:58 pm
@snood,
And none of them were replaced? He's going off the air? He doesn't wield power?
snood

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 05:27 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

And none of them were replaced? He's going off the air? He doesn't wield power?

I don't know if any were replaced, but I read about when his sponsors fled him. My take is that his power is significantly diminished in the last two years, and that started with his remarks about Fluke. I will try to look up some hard data about where is today compared with where he was at his height.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 07:45 pm
@snood,
and being dropped by major stations

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2015/06/17/rush-limbaugh-demoted-to-another-irrelevant-rat/204028

http://www.politicususa.com/2016/05/24/rush-limbaughs-business-model-state-collapse-advertiser-boycott.html

a collection of stuff

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/rush-limbaugh-advertisers/

buncha links re ratings in this

http://www.politicususa.com/2016/05/10/ratings-dumpster-bitter-rush-limbaugh-attacks-jon-stewart.html
snood

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 07:48 pm
@ehBeth,
Yeah, I looked but I couldn't find anything definitive and comprehensive that clearly shows his diminished standing. Just a lot of articles dealing with different aspects of how he's been hurt. Still significant in their aggregate, but nothing that would stand up in court.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 07:54 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Advertisers left Limbaugh after his comments about Sandra Fluke inspired the boycott, and the corporate giants have not come back. Limbaugh’s contract is guaranteed, so the boycott hasn’t cost him a dime yet, but it has pushed Premiere to the point of bankruptcy, killed the radio stations who were forced to pay the carriage fees to air Limbaugh, and resulted in the right-wing talker losing influence by being demoted to smaller stations.

http://www.politicususa.com/2016/05/24/rush-limbaughs-business-model-state-collapse-advertiser-boycott.html
ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 07:56 pm
this is kind of funny

http://www.masslive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2016/05/without_obama_to_kick_around_w.html
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 07:59 pm
@ehBeth,
When I visited the linked website there was a popup with a raised fist and the bold statement "Liberal Nation Rising!" And you want anyone to buy anything this site says about conservatives?
revelette2

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 09:11 pm
@sozobe,
Interesting
0 Replies