Why Obamacare is a Failure

Lash

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2016 07:42 am
@izzythepush,
And Brexit is because...?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2016 07:56 am
@Lash,
Of a referendum. Only in America are you daft enough to pay through the nose for medicine. Other countries take a less lickspittle approach to big business. You spend more on social medicine per capita than us, yet you don't have UHC.

You need to develop a backbone.
Lash

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2016 02:54 pm
@izzythepush,
Bernie and his supporters did have the backbone, and that's one reason I despise Hillary Clinton and her followers.

She and other corrupt politicians get kickbacks from big pharma by keeping medicine prices inflated. Proof recently made public by Wikileaks.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2016 02:56 pm
@Lash,
Can you provide the link to that Wikileaks article?
glitterbag

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2016 03:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Why do people believe that wikileaks is truthful? I don't know if anyone here has ever been hacked or hijacked, but hackers will send out emails with your address on them in an attempt to con or dupe others. My daughter-in-law was hacked and I'm sure you've heard about it happening to people you know, would you want others to believe you are capable of sending out vulgar msgs or worse, then refuse to believe you when you tell them it wasn't you??
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2016 03:07 pm
@glitterbag,
How good is Snopes?
http://www.snopes.com/newsweek-proves-that-wikileaks-is-leaking-phony-hillary-clinton-emails/
glitterbag

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2016 03:07 pm
@glitterbag,
Bottom line, when did unproven wikileaks stolen documents become proof positive? None of the documents have been verified.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2016 03:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,

Snopes is accurate. But no one has verified the stolen documents. Until they are examined against the originals, it's not evidence. What snopes did was point out an obvious case of misinformation. It's an effective method to cast doubt on EVERYONES veracity. It works extremely well and that's why so many despicable people use it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2016 03:17 pm
@glitterbag,
I, personally, have never put that much credence to wikileaks. Assange seems like a Trump in hiding; wants the public to know who he is.

Quote:
50%Donald Trump -Republican
22%Hillary Clinton -Dems
12%Gary Johnson -Libertarian
16%Jill Stein -Greens

RealClearPolitics: Trump is no where near 50% average.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/president/

45.1 Clinton (D)+2.4
42.7 Trump (R)
4.3 Johnson (L)
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2016 03:58 pm
@Lash,
We had UHC back in 1946. That's when you should have developed a backbone, but you still voted twice for Bush. There was something about his butt you couldn't help kissing. What was it? Allowing 9/11 to happen, the illegal war in Iraq, Dick Chey's profiteering, the proliferation of IS, or the financial collapse? You just can't help sucking up to the rich man.
0 Replies

jochambers1965

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 04:58 pm
I cannot wait for pre-existing clauses to once again be legal like they were in the good ole days.

Considering my deductible is at $6K, I look forward to paying around $400 for my annual physical and blood tests. It will even be better when I turn fifty and have to pay for colorectal screenings. If Obamacare is immediately overturned, I will pay a few thousand dollars for the same service that is covered under my plan today. Mammograms, another service covered under my plan - will now run the average woman of $1K+

That older adult age range tends to be tricky for some people. I reference those who are old enough for their bodies to begin acting up but too young for Medicare....they will have to meet these deductibles before any preventative services are covered. This age range needs to monitor their health via preventative services. With the costs being so prohibitive, small problems will remain undetected until they can no longer be ignored.

I have young friends who hate Obamacare, but never complain that they don't have to pay for immunizations for their young babies. My guess, they don't even realize that this is a service covered by their plan due to Obamacare. When my children were young and if my deductible wasn't met (easier to meet in those days), then I paid for the immunizations. Every.single.one.

Many have benefited in ways they are not even aware of. Yes. The cost of insurance skyrocketed. yet, the millions of dollars paid in health ins executive's salaries and bonuses did not go down. Don't believe me, check yourself - these are publicly traded companies and this information is readily available. From my vantage point, there was no effort to cut the exorbitant overhead, and the easiest solution was to pass the increased costs to the end consumer.

Which begs the final question. If Obamacare truly disappears, are the insurance companies magically going to decrease their rates? Will hospitals just slash their cost b/c Obamacare is no longer? Will deductibles and co-pays go back to reasonable levels ? Will CEO's be less valuable and their salaries can resume normal levels?

Be careful what you wish for.
Brand X

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 05:06 pm
So far it sounds like Obamacare will become Obamaclone.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Baldimo

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 05:18 pm
@jochambers1965,
After being in the military, I kept doing yearly physicals. My blood work on average used to cost me about $40, after the ACA went active, my blood work bill jumped up to $140. What were you paying before the ACA on such things?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2017 12:36 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

But but but ..... my premiums went up $646 this year and my deductible that I didn't use was $4000.

Mine went down by $100 a month, and my income will be slightly higher. I had to put for another carrier, as mine was dropped, but my benefits are indentical. $5 drug benefit, no cost mammogram and well woman exam.

I can't wait until I lose all this.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2017 05:26 pm
I'm currently paying $450 a month for the gold plan. I just hope Trump's executive order to make things easier for insurance companies doesn't include "deregulating" what medical benefits insurance companies are required to cover. I mean, you would think that laws would still require a business to honor the terms of a contract, but then not all people do business that way.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2017 07:05 pm
@Kolyo,
I spent a lot over years re Blue Cr0ss, costs starting to envicerate me before I was sick at all.. Then I had breast cancer surgeries and eye surgeries, two bc surgeries and five re one eye.

Meantime, I was paying blue cross something like $500 a month to belong.
That killed me, re my income.

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2017 10:22 am
@ossobucotemp,
I forgot to mention Blue Cross didn't completely pay for those surgeries, more money out besides the cost of the insurance itself - hard with my income.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2017 06:07 pm
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:

I'm currently paying $450 a month for the gold plan. I just hope Trump's executive order to make things easier for insurance companies doesn't include "deregulating" what medical benefits insurance companies are required to cover. I mean, you would think that laws would still require a business to honor the terms of a contract, but then not all people do business that way.

You don't have to answer if it's too personal a questin Kolyo, but I'm curious about a couple of things.

Why the gold plan? Why not silver?
Are you insuring just yourself, or multiple people?
Kolyo

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2017 07:40 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Why the gold plan? Why not silver?

I'm making pretty decent money now so I can afford the premiums. But I only recently started making any money at all, so my net worth is close to zero. If I were on the silver plan the maximum out of pocket amount would bankrupt me if disaster struck. I don't want to take that chance.