Why Obamacare is a Failure

snood

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 08:49 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I don't need to edit anything - I'll stand on the original version of the statement that if they aren't operatives they should be.
This statement can also stand alone - that they seem to me to be getting some of their information directly from right wing sources.
And I'll add that it's a strange state of affairs when two professed liberals, supposedly in support of the most liberal candidate to come around in years, find the fodder to carry them into their battles - at right wing sources.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 09:06 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
it has to do with voters.

Votes in congress.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 09:14 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
2. Obamacare has failed to lower, or even stabilize, costs.

The insurance companies and drug companies made sure that the medical costs wouldent go down as a condition of having universal care through their paid for congressmen.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 09:28 pm
@snood,
I have already agreed that they are both republican operatives. A real democratic would point out the weaknesses of the party but also its strong points and there are many. But not to Edgar or Lash. I remember Lashes attacks during Obamas run and she isent much different now.
snood

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 09:29 pm
@RABEL222,
But Finn says that's preposterous. Gotta be if Finn says it, right?
Lash

Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 03:28 am
@RABEL222,
You are incorrect. I had more positive to say about Obama than negative during his candidacy, he just wound up to be as dishonest as most politicians. A disappointment, as most of the headlines say.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 03:30 am
@RABEL222,
...and their paid-for president.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 07:07 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Average salaries for American MDs, practicing primary care is in the ball park of about $220,000/year ( depending upon where you get the stats). For the UK, MDs practicing primary care medicine, under the single payer Gov regulated program, the salary is of the order of $170,000.

This is one reason why American MDs are against the Gov-single payer system and it's also why many, many MDs will not take insurance, medicare ,or medicaid payments ( These payments are too low).

I know a couple of MDs who are pretty miserable, because that $220K/year paycheck comes at the price of 80-hour work weeks. A lot of that goes to pay for after-school care and nannies for their kids.

How many hours a week do UK doctors work?

One of my doctor friends was complaining about this, and I realized that I make more per hour than she does. I could consult on the side, and make similar money, but I like having time to read, exercise, and be with my family.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 12:39 pm
@snood,
I don't know where they get their information. Do you? I simply agreed it wasn't absurd to suggest they might.

If you want to double down on an absurd comment, be my guest. You've probably already burned whatever bridges existed between you and them, and all because you believe they have betrayed your tribe.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 12:45 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
I do however have a question. What would happen to all the insurance companies and their employees if we suddenly had single payer health care. Wouldn't that decimate the economy putting an awful lot of employees and those who own the businesses out of a job?

They would need to be absorbed into the gigantic Government "Super Medicare" system that a single payer system would become. The good part is all the executives would be out of jobs (savings MILLIONS) and State Insurance departments would be reduced.

The bad news is that with this governments track record of managing healthcare, not sure how efficient it would be.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 09:10 pm
@snood,
Nope!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 05:10 pm
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p480x480/13015546_1307088349302140_2731059642223936933_n.png?oh=4cb710b423569532976281a2e2775615&oe=57C7CDE4
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2016 04:58 pm
@izzythepush,
I was only talking about public spending, not private spending on healthcare (where the US clearly spends more than anyone).

I do not have the figures handy, but I was quoting from research I did a few years ago to the effect that the US, through Medicare and Medicaid alone, already spends roughly the same amount per capita as Japan does for public healthcare.

Now Japanese are a lot healthier than Americans, on average, so it would not be immediately possible to do the same but the point is that we already spend the same as countries like Japan per capita and they get full public healthcare out of the deal.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 12:58 am
@Robert Gentel,
You spend more per capita on public health too. It's what happens when you think market forces can fix everything. The cost of drugs alone in America knocks up your costs, and super inflated wages for doctors only helps those who went into medicine for the money.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 04:18 pm
Aetna’s Obamacare Reversal Is Latest Blow to U.S. Health Law
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-02/aetna-s-obamacare-reversal-is-latest-blow-to-u-s-health-law
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 04:35 pm
@Lash,
I haven't gone to have a physical in 2 years because the out of pocket for the labs went from $30 to $140, and I'm still waiting to save $2500 a year.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 05:45 pm
@izzythepush,
You are correct. Here's the average wage for doctors. My nephew who is a doctor (critical care) in Hawaii earns a lot more.
Average Salary for People with Jobs as Physicians / Doctors
Job National Salary Data
Physician / Doctor, Internal Medicine 1148 salaries $178,168
Physician / Doctor, General Practice 725 salaries $137,669
Physician / Doctor, Emergency Room (ER) 575 salaries $210,391
Physician / Doctor, Radiologist 503 salaries $290,792
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 06:37 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

I have already agreed that they are both republican operatives. A real democratic would point out the weaknesses of the party but also its strong points and there are many. But not to Edgar or Lash. I remember Lashes attacks during Obamas run and she isent much different now.

Sorry if the truth hurts so bad you have to malign the messenger.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 07:53 pm
@izzythepush,
I'm late to the thread and have been skimming, so sorry if it's been covered, but is healthcare politicized there the way that it is here in the US?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 08:18 pm
@thack45,
From my observation, most countries have universal health care.
0 Replies