Pleas, explain to me!

Carlo

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 06:53 pm
I am inquiring about certain abbreviations listed after the names of filmmakers like A.C.S. & C.S.A. etc. Can somebody explain them to me and to a friend of mine? We have some bets going on here. My side of the bet is that these abbreviations are degrees in arts; she thinks that these are acronyms. We cannot find any info anywhere even on the Internet. Any help will be highly appreciatedÂ…Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,760 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 07:26 pm
FF - [International] Film Festival

IFTA - The Irish Film & Television Academy

LAFCA - Los Angeles Film Critics Association [formed in 1975]

Leo - Award given by the Motion Picture Arts & Sciences Foundation of British Columbia

Milli - Annual award [since 1958] presented to the 'Australian Cinematographer of the Year'. The award gets its name from the millimeters used to measure film lenses; its design represents the lenses of an early model camera.

MVPA - Music Video Production Association

Nika - Main national film award in Russia

NSFC - National Society of Film Critics [USA] [formed in 1966]

NYFCC - New York Film Critics Circle [formed in 1935]

Robert - Award given by the Danish Film Academy. Awarded for the first time in 1983; designed by and named after the Danish sculptor Robert Jacobsen. The award is given to films, actors, directors and other technical staff
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 09:26 am
Thanks for that comprehensive search and posting, Piffka. Very illuminating for many movie goers and you beat me to it!
0 Replies

Carlo

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 10:28 am
Many Many Thanks
Many Many Thanks Piffka!
It was very impressive all the info you provided.
Thank you again!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 10:37 am
You're welcome Carlo (and thanks LW). I hope that you enjoy your time on a2k.

Sorry, I guess you don't win your bet with your friend.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 10:47 am
Well, to be fair and like ASID in the interior design industry, these organizations require a stringent test and often proof that one does have a degree from an accredited school. I know in ASID (American Society of Interior Designers) you must have at least a two year higher education document to be an associate.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 10:51 am
The ASC, American Society of Cinematographers is 85 years old! Link:

http://www.theasc.com/
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 10:52 am
Good point, LW. Plus some of those acronyms ARE for film schools. So there you go, Carlo... the possibility that neither of you is completely wrong or right. You have wiggle room!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 11:10 am
It appears to be a toss-up IMHO.

ASID also requires that one show they have done many completed full scale design jobs, eliminating a lot of the "decorators" who work in furniture stores. I'm sure one has to have actually worked on several movies as a cinematographer before they can be admitted to ASC or any of the other organizations. That they can display the acronym for a film school would mean they graduated from that school and are authorized to have the acronym after their name. In a way, it is a sort of degree. Some cinematographers have graduate work credentials.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 11:18 am
ASID...acid huh? Given some of the designs I've seen that sounds appropriate.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 11:30 am
Cool link, LW. Did you see the list of films that were recommended by some of the members? I couldn't find out how they became members... just a brief reference that someone was "invited to join." Seems that some worked mostly in TV, most worked mostly in feature films.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 11:33 am
When they combined NSID (National Society of Interior Designers) and AAID (American Association of Interior Designers), they rejected calling it the American Interior Design Society for obvious reasons. It's unfortunately more of a social club than actually helping a lot of its members. In Orange County, the head of ASID takes all the choice jobs that come in and sloughs off the lesser jobs to her friends in the organization. It's become an elitist social club and only impresses clients who are interested in style over substance. It's hard to place criteria on artistic accomplishments. There's been movements to classify interior designers in California as contractors but it's never made it into law.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 11:35 am
Yes, you are invited to join if it is discerned that you've made sufficient accomplishments in the field of cinematography and you have a sponsor or sponsors. That's the extent of my knowledge about the organization as they keep a lot of that part of the operation a secret.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 11:37 am
Lightwizard wrote:
When they combined NSID (National Society of Interior Designers) and AAID (American Association of Interior Designers), they rejected calling it the American Interior Design Society for obvious reasons.

Took me a minute to see the obvious. <duh> Would it be a bad thing for interior designers to be classified as contractors?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 12:05 pm
In California it would mean that a decorator/designer could only take a 20% deposit on merchandise ordered. Of course, that doesn't include retainer fees. The real stumbling block is that we really aren't "building" anything. We are selling decisions of taste. We act as an agent to have a licensed contractor perform any remodeling such as what I specialize in, lighting systems. My contracts specify I am being retained as an agent to purchase on behalf of the client who is the owner-contractor. On commercial jobs, it can be a different story. But this is diverting from the subject of the thread even though it's a good example of how these societies work.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 03:11 pm
I see. In some ways that is like a general contractor who may act as an agent for all sorts of subs, but I have no knowledge of deposits or anything like that. Those sorts of things, as far as I know, are determined by contract in this state.

(Sorry for the slight diversion.)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 04:40 pm
I would introduce a credit problem into the equation since nearly all manufacturers of furniture and other interior design goods required 50% deposits leaving the designer financing the client's purchases. Believe it or not, too great number of wealthy people who can afford designers are flakes. Designers are primarily selling their services as they only can markup goods 15% to 30% (30% being almost out of the question now because at designer discounts, that makes the client's price above retail).

Anyway, although I was involved in writing the first basic purchase agreements now used by ASID, I no longer belong to the organization. The dues are plainly not worth it.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 05:35 pm
Hmmm. that's too bad. Nobody wants to finance somebody else's purchases unless they get a nice interest rate, particulary if that somebody else is likely to be a flake. This proposed contractor limit of 20% would be a state law? Cool that you did work for ASID even if no longer a member. Were the dues a lot?

<I wish I could afford a designer (she says, wistfully).>
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 07:24 pm
The dues are high and you really get very little in return except some parties!

The 20% is a now California contractor state law -- mainly inacted because of contractors taking 50% or more in deposits and then not delivering or skipping out with the money.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 11:07 pm
Well, nobody needs that.

This 20% law must be hard on contractors 'cause most of them would, like a designer, have to cover a 50% deposit on materials. I suppose you could figure some of that was mark-up, but still... sounds like CA is not a great place to run a business.
0 Replies