how positions of stars control human life

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 03:51 pm
this is about astrology
can someone explain how the positions of stars control human destiny or future?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,047 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 03:52 pm
they don't
0 Replies

crucifixation

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 04:00 pm
then what is all this thing about horoscopes stuff
i thought they predict somethign about your life from the positions of the stars
or am i wrong?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 04:03 pm
prove it
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 04:04 pm
If you are convinced of the efficacy of astrology, do be so kind as to PM me your home address. I have some wonderful brochures on lake-front property in Arizona . . .
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 05:02 pm
Astrology has been around for a long, long time. As recently as 500 years ago it was a respectable intellectual field, but it was a pseudo science then and it is a pseudo science now.

Most horoscopes in the daily newspapers have a "this is just for your amusement" warning.

Think about it. There are a lot of unpleasant failures in this world. When were they born? At the same time and place as pleasant and successful people.

If you have any money left after playing Setana's con games, I can predict your future by studying a lock of your hair and a few nail parings.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 04:17 pm
The positions of the stars and planets have absolutely no physical effect on human beings. The moon is the only celestial body close enough to have a gravitational influence, and it would exert the same force on everyone.

The positions of the stars can have a psychological effect on anyone who is gullible enough to believe what an astrologer tells them, since they may base life-affecting decisions on dubious predictions.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 04:21 pm
Or, if you're a former B movie actor living on Pennsylvania Avenue, and your wife is a former actor as well, who has a penchant for astrologers and their prognostications, you can make world-shaking decisions on the basis of this dubious superstition.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 04:39 pm
it's all predistined, prolly by the stars, why just last year I got on a plane going to Lisbon and damn if the lady in the seat 3 rows down and 2 seats across from me wasn't also going to Lisbon and she was a Capricorn just like me! Well, to make a long story even more exciting when we got off the plane in Lisbon it was still night and damn if you couldn't see the stars right there at the airport where we landed in Lisbon. I had never been to Lisbon before. Does this answer your question?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 05:08 pm
I would estimate that in my lifetime, 1200 people have guessed my "sign." The spooky thing is, 100 of them got it right!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 05:36 pm
The stars really can affect our lives, ya know. For instance, there's the Death Star in Star Wars, capable of disolving a planet instantly. Then, the Wishing Star, if you catch it when it first appears and don't ask for nothing stupid like a horse.
0 Replies

Not Too Swift

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 08:15 pm
Why not just assume that all our variegated "flowers of evil" are due to the sinister influence of Aliens. Of course, if you do that, there won't be any non DNA specimens to talk to in the future fearing they'll be put on trial for crimes against humanity.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 09:31 pm
Setana--

Quote:
I would estimate that in my lifetime, 1200 people have guessed my "sign." The spooky thing is, 100 of them got it right!

That happens when you live on the cusp.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 10:36 pm
i find astrology rather enjoyable; it takes a 'religious like' fervour for totally inane nonsense, and turns it into 'entertainment'!

[and the practitioners make almost as much money as TV Evangelists!]

{er, what is this doing in the 'philosophy' section?}
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 11:30 pm
Back 400 years or so everybody in Europe believed that the Earth was the center of the universe—Geocentrism. Astrology was the accepted science, passed down from Aristotle, that the Church based its cosmology on.

In this cosmology the Earth was surrounded by eight crystalline spheres in which were imbedded the moon, Venus, Mercury, the sun, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn. In the eights sphere were the stars, and beyond that was God and heaven. To each of these orbs was assigned certain characteristics, e.g., a metal, and branch of learning, a note on the musical scale etc.

An unborn soul about to be born on Earth plunged down from heaven through the spheres and picked up influences from the various orbs depending on their positions. That's how the personality of the individual was determined.

Upon death the good Christian would shoot back up to heaven, and the bad were stuck on Earth—the soul, that is. So people felt like aliens while alive, and they acted as if they were totally alienated from nature. So it's easy to see how much power the Church and the astrologers had over people.
0 Replies