Teach Me, oh Wise ones (chicken salad sandwiches)

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 01:03 pm
I need to learn how to do these things. The gas station sandwiches are getting expensive.

How do I pick out a chicken to cook?
What do I do to it?

I cooked dinner for my FI once, but my mom had the chicken, washed it, pounded it, and seasoned before I had even arrived to her house. I just had to stick the honey mustard&honey on it and stick it in the oven.

Then, after it is cooked, do I just dice it up, put in mayo, pickles, slap it on some potato bread and enjoy?

Embarrassed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,854 • Replies: 23
No top replies

panzade

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 01:05 pm
Yeah man...some people get a little fancier but I make it like you suggested...maybe a few drops of fresh squeezed lemon
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 01:08 pm
I'm a house wife cow in the making.

Where's that pic of that hot model on the bed (doggie style) and she slowly turns into this massive blob? harrr.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 01:14 pm
No way Skinny Minnie. Youre just having qualms about your impending doo...errr...nuptials. Full speed ahead.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 01:30 pm
chicken salad
Gosh, how do you make chicken salad?

Go to your local grocery store and and pick out a whole chicken--a nice plump chicken. Grab a big jar of salad dressing or mayonnaise while you're there. I prefer Miracle Whip, but Panzade prefers Hellman's. Choose according to your own taste buds.

See Mayonnaise/Miracle Whip

When you get home, grab a big cooking pot. Throw that bird in the pot, cover with water, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and put on the stove. Bring the water to a boil and then turn the heat down to medium or medium-low. Throw a cover on the pot.

(Did you see the movie, Overboard, with Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell? If so, there's a scene in that movie where Goldie's character demonstrates the proper cooking of a chicken.)

Keep cooking that bird until it's so done that the meat falls off the bones. (Don't let the water--now chicken broth--evaporate. Add more water if you see it's getting low.)

Once your chicken has been cooked and cooled, break a big chunk of tender meat into pieces, mix with the desired amount of Miracle Whip, add some diced pickle and onion, and slap that mixture on some fresh bread. Throw on a healthy amount of lettuce.

There you go! Chicken Salad Sandwich Extraordinaire. You should have plenty of cooked chicken left for snacks for yourself, your little kitten, and your dog too! Yum.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 01:33 pm
Great recipe Debra!

Psst... Jo....toss the Miracle Whip and use Hellmans...bring out your best.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 01:42 pm
Miracle Whip
My mother raised me on Miracle Whip. Therefore, I never developed a taste for plain mayonnaise. However, I edited the recipe (see above) to accommodate either Miracle Whip or Hellman's. LOL

BTW, Jo -- Eventually the skin will cook and peel off the bird. Discard the skin. Don't eat it!

You can save your homemade chicken broth and cooked chicken for other recipes too. (Use high-quality freezer bags, freeze the extra cooked chicken, and then take it out when you need something quick for a tasty meal.) Anyone have a good recipe for Chicken Casserole?
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 02:16 pm
panzade, we share the same fridge. I used to be a Miracle Whip person until one day, it tasted like butt to me. Butt is something I don't need in my mouth.

Debra - that sounds even better!!! I don't do well with the oven unless it's cookies! I rock my neighborhood with my snickerdoodles and blueberry muffins!! But for some reason, I'm so paranoid, I take things out too soon or late and because I can't resist but adding several extra ingredients (usually bananas or pudding), I have no concept of how much longer I should add to the cooking time. So, as a result, all my cakes taste like banana pudding.

The stove thing sounds easy. How long must this chicken cook? Is this an all day process? This is fine, just want to know so i don't sit in front of it waiting.

And just add salt & pepper? Anything else?

What about if it is in the oven and it's already sliced. How long and at what temp? (around)

I go to recipe sites, but avoid recipes that have meat in it.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 02:27 pm
I'm a plain jane
Whenever I cook a chicken on the stove, I just sprinkle with salt and pepper--nothing else. I'm a plain jane.

Here's a recipe for cooked chicken:

Boiled Chicken
Submitted by: George

"A recipe for boiled chicken; boiled chicken meat is called for in many other recipes, and is a wonderful basic recipe to have for many uses." Original recipe yield: 8 servings.

INGREDIENTS:
1 (3 pound) whole chicken
1 large onion, halved - unpeeled
3 carrots, cut into chunks - unpeeled
2 stalks celery, cut into chunks
1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
water to cover

DIRECTIONS:
Place chicken in a large pot with onion, carrots, celery and peppercorns; add water to cover. Cover pot and bring to a boil; reduce heat to a gentle boil and cook for about 90 minutes, or until chicken meat is falling off of the bone. Remove chicken, let cool and shred or chop the meat.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 02:45 pm
Jo
Jo, you could subsitute cooked minced chicken for the tuna in my recipe below - it would taste great. ---BBB

Recipe for Tuna Sandwich ala The Starlight Cafe by BumbleBeeBoogie.

The usual ingredients are enhanced with eggs, apples, carrots and lemon zest.

(For 2 sandwiches)

1/2 cup flaked water-canned white meat tuna
1 large egg, hard cooked
1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish, drained
2 tablespoons finely chopped celery
2 tablespoons Granny Smith apples, unpeeled, finely chopped
1 tablespoon finely grated carrots (optional)
1 teaspoon finely minced lemon zest, fresh or dried
2 to 3 tablespoons mayonnaise (as needed to moisten)
1 teaspoon dried dill or freshly snipped dill
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons shredded lettuce or Napa cabbage
4 slices of good quality toasted bread of choice.

Drain the tuna; flake the tuna with a fork into a bowl; drain again. Combine with all ingredients--- except the lettuce (or cabbage) and bread toast---in the bowl and mix well.

Mound the tuna filling on a toasted bread slice, add the shredded lettuce (or cabbage) and cover with a second slice; cut the sandwich into halves and serve. My Finnish Style Swedish Limpa Bread is a wonderful base for this sandwich.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 02:48 pm
Sounds good. I appreciate it. I will use it as soon as I can get to the store to buy a chicken.

Hey, so no matter how much I gripe, dear ol Jerry won't get rid of some of the featured topics? Some of them seem really out-dated.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 02:57 pm
Joahaeyo wrote:
What about if it is in the oven and it's already sliced. How long and at what temp?

If I buy a chicken that is already cut up into pieces (legs, thighs, back,), I fry the chicken pieces on the stove top (with skin attached) in a large granny skillet until golden brown. Then I put the chicken pieces in a roasting pan, cover with cream of mushroom soup, and let it bake in the oven at 325 degrees for about an hour.

Serve with boiled or mashed potatoes and vegetable of your choice.

It's not a fancy meal, but it's quick and tasty.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 03:23 pm
BumbleBeeBoogie, I just saw your post.

That recipe sounds delicious. Never heard of adding apples!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 06:45 pm
now ladies , let me tell you the way I learned how to do a chicken . Igot this from Graham Kerr (Keere?)

Take one chicken and note its weight (this is very important)

Turn the oven up to 500 degrees

dress and lay the chicken on its side in a pan with whatever liquid you wish, but just a layer no more than a 1/4 inch deep

With the chicken on its side, cook at 500 degrees for 10 min per pound.

At exactly half time flip the chicken over to the other side. If for example, we have a 5 lb chicken, we cook it a total of 50 min (5X10 min/pouind)
we cook it 25 min with it lying upon its one side and 25 minutes with it on its other side

This will make the juiciest and most flavorful chicken .The meat will be perfect for cutting up for sammich stuff.
Chicken slices with a tart apple butter slathered on corn bread. Now thats what Im talkin about

------------
Or something totally different
get some fresh corn and cook it
about a dozen ears
one 5 lb chicken
5 medium red skin potatoes
3 slices celeryt
as much garlic as you like
s/p to taste. 9we like extra teli pepper ground for a nice pepper bite)

chunkify the chicken and ingredients (this is the same chicken we just cooked

put it in a pot with arrowroot (bout a T, or a light roux)

cook the mix with about 2 cups of a good chicken stock broth for about 10 min

Make 3 Pillsbury pie crust shells

fill the shells with the mix, go lightly on the broth drop a smashed and diced garlic and one bay leaf into each pie

put the top shells on and bake at 375 with the edge crust covered with those aluminum crust covers(That keeps the edges from getting dark)
bake for about 30 min or according to the shell instructions
This is some of the best chicken corn pie . We'd be up to our tushes in sweet corn back home but the sweet corn in Maine comes mostly from new Brunswick and its relly pitiful looking. This is a dish that must have fresh sweet corn cause frozen is a poor sub and canned is actually slightly better than frozen, but fresh cannot be beat.

This is what we call Pa Dutch "Mom food"
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 07:23 pm
You're getting too complicated. I barely know what a chicken looks like, let alone how to work with a potato!! One thing at a time, mister. Smile

I have to do something twice before I can move on to learning how to work with/add something "new." I'm complicated.

Every time a recipe gets Joah's 5 star approval, it makes its way into my recipe book, and I will do everything in my power to claim it as my recipe when we get together for Thanksgiving. hahaha

Quote:
lay the chicken on its side in a pan with whatever liquid you wish,

could you please give this poor soul a few examples? an olive oil mix or something? nothing with wine. I don't like to add that unless it's a dessert or absolutely necessary.

Can I put a chicken in a cake pan if I don't have a pot? I have a huge pot (that could fit a turkey), but it's only for the stove.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 07:44 pm
If you're going to cook chicken, the first thing you do before you begin is rinse it ... very well, and once you think it's cooked, either by time or with a meat thermometer, check to see that it is not pink. A meat thermometer should read 175 degrees F. and any juice that runs out of the chicken should be clear and not pink. You don't want Salmonella.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 07:58 pm
Okay.

After I finish, the leftovers are good for 2-3 days right? I've always heard that for meats, and all other leftovers 3-5 days.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 08:03 pm
I like Debra's recipe, nice and simple.

Debra, my mother raised me on Miracle Whip, too, and I still prefer it. Half the family prefers mayo, so I've got the Hellman's in the fridge, too.

Joahaeyo, this also works well. Do you have a slow cooker/crockpot?

Use 3 to 4 pounds of chicken pieces with the skin on (about the same size as a whole chicken). Peel and quarter an onion. Use a teaspoon of dried oregano leaves, a teaspoon of salt, a teaspoon of cracked black peppercorns (or just pepper), and a bay leaf.

Place everything in your slow cooker, laying dark meat (legs and thighs) on the bottom and the breasts on top. Add water just to cover. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours until chicken is cooked. Allow it to cool in the liquid. (Put it in the fridge.) Remove skin and bones from the chicken and shred the meat by pulling it off the bones with your fingers. You can use the meat for tacos, enchiladas, or chop it up for chicken salad.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 08:11 pm
So everybody takes out the baggie with the liver and heart and neck, I hope?

I think salmonella dies nice and dead at 145, but one also wants to kill spores of this and that, which happens at 160 for 15 minutes, if I remember, thus 175 is good as an indicator that it was at least 160 for 15 minutes.

The salmonella wouldn't be in the muscle... all the contaminants we worry about now are running around lurking or breeding on the skin or I guess the cavity....
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 08:12 pm
The leftovers are good for a few days, for sure, provided they're properly refrigerated. Three to four days is okay.

Actually, I've read that you do not have to wash raw chicken before cooking because the cooking kills the bacteria, but I'm totally (annoyingly) paranoid about salmonella, so I do it anyway.
0 Replies