I want a wedding blessed by God but he doesn't. How to cope?

Coti

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 08:33 pm
I am a little confused regading the future of my relationship. I am 32 and have been together with my boyfriend for 3 years and he is great and shows so much love for me and my 10 year old son. He is 34.

My son is from a previous marriage and he asked my BF if we could live with him. I agreed and moved 8 months ago even tho I always believed that living together was only after marriage, due to my cristian religion.

We have talked about marriage but he has the idea of «why rush if we are good like this?» I think we are good, but I NEED a marrige blessed by God. I dont really care for the legal paper or a big party, but he doesn't undertand how important it is to me, and a real family needs that blessing.

I really love him and my son does too. For me is not a reason to break up because I believe he is the best man, made specially for me, and my parents love him as well.

At this point I only can think that it will happen one day, but still is sad for me.
I would love some advise on this and how to cope with waiting for the proposal of a new family

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 08:55 pm
If this man loves you he will honor your request for a religious blessing on your wedding. But only if this is an authentic request.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 08:57 pm
@Coti,
Have you talked to your priest/minister about this?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 20 May, 2016 07:53 am
@Coti,
Two things. First, I applaud your expressed desire to be married rather than just live together. As a Christian, my views on the sanctity of marriage and the belief that sex should be only between married couples is a core belief.

That said, I am confused by how and where you seem to draw a line between your desire to do what you believe is right and your relationship. While you did not indicate this in your post, I get the idea that before you moved in with him you were sleeping with him. If that were the case, then I don't understand why the simple act of moving in with him is now causing you any problem. After all, nothing has really changed between the two of you except your address. As a Christian, it is not the living together that is sinful, but the intimate relationship you have with him outside of marriage. In other words, you are giving him mixed signals. You tell him you want to honor God by getting married, yet all the while you are dishonoring God by sleeping with him. From his point of view, why should he get married when he has all the benefits of marriage right now?

I do not not mean to judge you, so please do not misunderstand what I am saying. What you do with your life is between you and God. I am just pointing out that what you are saying and what you are doing can be confusing to him.

Anyway, as far as advice, I can give very little. You want to get married (doesn't really matter why) and he does not. You must either accept things as they are until he decides he wants to marry, or you can move out if not getting married is a deal breaker.

Either way, good luck to you. (Hope I did not sound to preachy those first two paragraphs.)
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 20 May, 2016 08:06 am
@Coti,
Do you believe that to be blessed by God requires a church, a dress, a pastor and a service? The early Christians just asked God to bless them. If you prayerfully ask God to bless you and feel that He has heard your prayer would that be sufficient for you? All the other stuff is what society asks of you for their recognition. I doubt God cares all that much about it.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 20 May, 2016 09:44 am
@Coti,
What Engineer said x2.

As far as God is concerned, nothing has changed since the days of the first man and woman. They had neither ceremony or church to legitimize their partnership. God recognized it anyway and he can do the same today. If it real to you and your partner, it is real to God.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 20 May, 2016 03:31 pm
@Coti,
You do understand that you have the option to move out?
0 Replies

Lilkanyon

Reply Sat 21 May, 2016 12:29 pm
@Coti,
Coti wrote:

I am a little confused regading the future of my relationship. I am 32 and have been together with my boyfriend for 3 years and he is great and shows so much love for me and my 10 year old son. He is 34.

My son is from a previous marriage and he asked my BF if we could live with him. I agreed and moved 8 months ago even tho I always believed that living together was only after marriage, due to my cristian religion.

We have talked about marriage but he has the idea of «why rush if we are good like this?» I think we are good, but I NEED a marrige blessed by God. I dont really care for the legal paper or a big party, but he doesn't undertand how important it is to me, and a real family needs that blessing.

I really love him and my son does too. For me is not a reason to break up because I believe he is the best man, made specially for me, and my parents love him as well.

At this point I only can think that it will happen one day, but still is sad for me.
I would love some advise on this and how to cope with waiting for the proposal of a new family

I agree with previous posts. You are confusing church and state here. You could get a commitment ceremony uunder God but not recognized as "legal" by the state. Is your boyfriend as religious as you? Apparently hes not as worked up about God as you are. Maybe this is a conversation you should be having with him.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 23 May, 2016 12:39 pm
@Coti,
I think you've gotten some good advice here, but it depends on precisely what you feel is required for a blessing from God, and what sort of commitment you want from your man.

Personally, I don't think a religious ceremony is necessary for your union to be blessed. Sincerely ask for God's blessing and you will receive it. That however is my personal opinion. If you believe a minister and a church is necessary, then that's what you need.

He doesn't seem to have a problem with the notion of a blessing, but with the idea of getting married, period. That would concern me, but it doesn't seem to concern you. I think though you should ask yourself what exactly it is that you want from this man. Most Christian churches in this country are not going to consent to a ceremony that blesses your co-habitation. They are going to want you to be legally married. There's nothing wrong with you wanting that, but if it is what you want you should be honest with your man, and not try to sell it solely on religious grounds.

In the end, the only leverage you really have is to leave him and if he is as you describe that would probably be a mistake and not one you're prepared to make so I suggest you come to terms with the reality that for now he doesn't want to get married and revisit the subject with him every so often. (Not every day, week or even month).

0 Replies