For those who have been posting here more than 10 years, how does your old you compare?

Mame

Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 10:43 pm
@georgeob1,
And even though I likely post even less than you, I still miss you. And, just for the record, I don't say "roooooofs", I say "rufs".
roger

Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 10:55 pm
@Mame,
Not very much less.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 10:34 am
@Mame,
Mame!!! Delightful to hear from you! I long ago decided to overlook your strange Canadian inflections on otherwise familiar words , and instead focus on your cheerful wry humor, charming manner and insightful wisdom. I hope you are well and happy, and I am very glad I had the good fortune to meet you.

I'm still in San Francisco. and if you ever come this way don't fail to let me know.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 11:10 am
@georgeob1,
A carrier landing ... ? Wink
glitterbag

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 12:47 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I took a brief trip back thru old threads, and I found many old members I wish were still here. Bumblebeeboogie, Noddy, LittleK, and all the other folks who contributed so much and were so lovely to each other. There have always been a few exasperating folks who try to ruin thinks for everybody else.

I wasn't a very young person when I joined, I had been married already 25 years, had a job I loved but sadly both my parents and my in laws had passed away and we started to deal with a much smaller circle of family. I don't mean that to sound sad, because it's the natural order, life never stays static. So personality wise I haven't changed, reading some of my old posts still sounds like me in today's world (I don't know if that's good or bad)

The only thing that seems to have changed for me is that I'm more apt to put major jerks on ignore. Now if I could only resist the urge to check occasionally. Perhaps this counts as a change, I've gotten to know several members much better and consider them friends. If I don't see them I worry. Thankfully, they always return.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 12:55 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
Just send him your old keyboard

Laughing wiseass

That put a smile on my face.

Takes one to know one,
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 01:01 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

A carrier landing ... ? Wink

Well. It's been a long time. I occasionally find myself watching film clips of them on YouTube, just to recapture old feelings. Very few good clips of night landings though -- and even they don't recapture the fear and thrill of a dark (no horizon) night and a pitching deck.

My best wishes you you and Ulla
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 02:04 pm
@georgeob1,
Thanks (from her as well)!
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 08:48 am
@georgeob1,
Haven't run across many other pilots here on A2K. Welcome back from a newbie (~ 1 yr on a2k)
georgeob1

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 09:34 am
@Leadfoot,
Thanks. What did you fly?
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 11:24 am
@georgeob1,
Only rode in the back of UH1's in the Army, fly experimentals now, RV-4 & RV-8.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 10:39 am
10 years ago a2k had more familiarity. People genuinely liked talking to each other, heck we even exchanged private things, shared pictures and some of us even met in person. That's all gone today!
Religious and political threads have taken over and it has become a battle field on both sides. Do we still laugh here? Diversity of subjects has been absent for a number of years already and I am not sure if it is a natural evolution of all forums or just a change in a2k. The influx of "nut cases" has definitely increased.
I've stopped posting for a number of years and come back now and then - more out of habit than anything else. The entertainment value has arrived at the Kardashian/West level.
saab

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 10:45 am
@CalamityJane,
I agree with you about the familiarity and also that there is a kind of battle field.
On the other hand if one as a new person or someone who did not felt like being too familiar with unknown people you really were an outsider.
Sometimes - more often than less often - one got in a2k and felt you got into a restaurant where all tables were taken by good friends and you did not belong in any group and best was just to leave.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 10:48 am
There appears to be lots of anger here. Sometimes I think it is due to the political climate. But, when I see how people respond on many other threads, I begin to doubt. Maybe it's the contempt bred by familiarity, we hear about. I find myself not reading people I always felt friendly to, these days. My non political posts get very little response anymore. But I still have respect for most people I know on here and likely will always keep coming back.
georgeob1

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 11:02 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

. But I still have respect for most people I know on here and likely will always keep coming back.

We all appear to do the same.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 02:55 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
Do we still laugh here? Diversity of subjects has been absent for a number of years already and I am not sure if it is a natural evolution of all forums or just a change in a2k. The influx of "nut cases" has definitely increased.
I laugh all the time here. There are strong feelings that come into honest conflict but I think that's all good. I feel a kinship with anyone who puts their honest thoughts and emotions into a post whether they agree with me or not.

I can't comment on how it was 10 years ago (only been here a year) but there are lots of websites that are 'friendly' and share nothing more controversial than a recipe but they bore me to death.

Know what you mean though, I do like it when people feel brave enough to share things that are 'private' or personal if it is relevant to the conversation.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 04:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
There appears to be lots of anger here

Lots of anger here? What the fu--hell kind of a crack was that to make? There ain't no f***in' anger here. You're the one who's f***in' angry! I gotta get out of this thread because frankly, you're starting to make me angry--pretty f***in' angry Laughing
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 05:01 pm
@Glennn,
Why, you POOH. (Sorry I had to be so rough in my response but your post was especially evil.)
glitterbag

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 05:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yeah!!! Glenn's a big poopie-head
roger

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 06:02 pm
@glitterbag,
Not only that, he couldn't write if his keyboard lost the -- and ** keys.