How Do I (10th grade female) Talk to a Senior Guy?

Tue 17 May, 2016 07:58 pm
I'm in the 10th grade and I have a huge crush on a guy in 12th grade. It's very taboo for 12th graders to talk to the younger grades but I really like this guy. He's very, very talented at music and I like listening to it. I don't how how to get the nerve to say hi. He is graduating in under a month and I will never see him again if I don't say something but I'm really shy and I know he is too. What can I do? I know we like the same bands (I have often seen him wearing the same band tee shirts as me) and we have made eye contact many times but I don't know what to think of it. I also can't tell whose initiating the eye contact, if its me or him. The only time we have actually talked was when I fell over, he asked me if I was okay. How can I get the courage to say something to him if we're both so shy and he's older then me? I really need to get the guts to talk to him fast because he'll be graduating soon.

sozobe

Tue 17 May, 2016 08:04 pm
@iMnOTjEn,
Eh just go for it! My daughter's a freshman and talks to seniors all the time. Be prepared for being rebuffed but it's definitely not out of the question for sophomores and seniors to chat (or date -- I know of several sophomore-senior couples).
0 Replies

sozobe

Tue 17 May, 2016 08:09 pm
@iMnOTjEn,
As for how, here's a technique she just used (shamelessly stealing from her):

She was acting as "wing lady" for a guy friend of hers who had his eye on a girl at a concert. The girl was wearing a Fall Out Boy t-shirt. Rather than being too literal about it and striking up an easily-overheard conversation about Fall Out Boy, she made a calculation that someone who liked Fall Out Boy would like Dan and Phil, and so she struck up an easily-overheard conversation about THAT. And the girl totally took the bait and joined in. My daughter's guy friend is a freshman, the girl was senior, and the guy friend not only got the senior girl's number but has been has been texting her ever since. So.

Note -- the point is not to use these exact examples, but to similarly find something you think he may be interested in but not so literal as what's on his t-shirt, and strike up a conversation nearby and see what happens.
0 Replies