Bsc in Geophysics and Msc in Geology?

Johnny1

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 03:43 pm
Hi,
I'm currently in my undergraduate studies and I'm not sure whether I'm more interested in Geology or Geophysics. There isn't an option of Majoring Geology in my university, just Geophysics so that's what I'm doing. However I wanted to ask whether I can finish my Bsc in Geophysics and go with Geology for my Msc, or is it too much of a change for me to make?

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,062 • Replies: 3
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 03:57 pm
@Johnny1,
most U's that offer a BS in geophys , have the majors be heavily involved in general physics than geo.

Many of the subjects in things like petrology, structure, tectonics etc are not thoroughly covered and are done without the kids ever seeing the field. I taught undergrad and grad applied geo ( economic), and I reccommend a good background in geo, geochem econ and you can be entrepreneurially employed or be involved in the teaching field. Usually the terminal degree is a "Master of Applied Science" which is a dual major in most U's.
Much geophys has BS degree holders working as "juggies" or data manipulators.
Are you more interested in academics or getting "dirty in the field" .

Johnny1

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 01:09 am
@farmerman,
Thanks for the response!
I'm inclined toward acadamics
0 Replies

selectmytutor

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2016 03:07 am
@Johnny1,
I think you should continue with the same.
0 Replies