Who believes in this?, I do
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 880 • Replies: 16
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 02:03 pm
Do you mean the Universe will end in a massive crunch then the Big Bang starts all over again? I think so too.
0 Replies

Gold Barz

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 02:25 pm
i dont know how the universe will end by i think that it will start over again, it may even make a transformation meaning the last universe could have been different from this one

"matter cannot be created nor destroyed"
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 02:26 pm
Evidence of this?
0 Replies

Gold Barz

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 02:32 pm
pure speculation
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 05:04 pm
I think somebody may have found evidence for it though. Don't ask who though, I have no idea. Smile
0 Replies

Gold Barz

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 06:05 pm
link?
0 Replies

g day

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:57 pm
Noopers - no known theoretical framework to overcome expansion. A big bang doesn't just reverse course one day.

Perhaps counter-intuitively gravity only makes things worse for two reasons:

1) During its Big Bang creation - Inflation caused the Universe to become largely causally disconnected. So the right hand side of teh Universe can't ever experience the gravity of the left hand side of the Universe. This means the gravity we mostly feel is pulling us outward not inwards (wierd huh)?

2) Empty space seem to have non-zero energy (to avoid breaking The Uncertainity principle) empty space is actually seething cosmic quantum foam. Non zero energy by e = mc^2 means non zero mass, meaning the gravity of empty space itself is pulling us outwards too!

So its the big fade rather than the big crunch that most theoretical physicts believe is in store for the Universe.
0 Replies

Gold Barz

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 08:15 pm
that really sucks
0 Replies

john-nyc

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 09:16 pm
This is a cut and paste:

The universe's fate is intimately connected to its shape which, in turn, depends on a single number, Omega: the ratio of the average mass density of the universe to the critical value required to just maintain equilibrium.

An open universe, corresponding to omega less than one, will expand forever. Matter will spread thinner and thinner. Galaxies will exhaust their gas supply for forming new stars, and old stars will eventually burn out, leaving only dust and dead stars. The universe will become quite dark and, as the temperature of the universe will approaches absolute zero, quite cold. The universe will not end, exactly, just peter out in a Big Chill.

The expansion of a closed universe, with an Omega greater than one, will slow down until it reaches a maximum size, when it begins its inward collapse. Like a video of the Big Bang and expansion run backward, the universe will become denser and hotter until it ends in an infinitely hot, infinitely dense Big Crunch--perhaps providing the seed for another Big Bang.

If Omega equals 1 exactly, then cosmic expansion will coast to a halt infinitely far into the future. The universe will not end in a Big Crunch nor expand into an infinite Big Chill, but will remain at equilibrium.

This last case is consistent with the inflation hypothesis, and also commands the most observational support. Not to mention the fact that, for most of us, it's an emotionally appealing scenario. Even though the universe's fate lies billions of years in the future, it's the only one we have.

http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Cyberia/Cosmos/CosmosFate.html

Also look here:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/07/040728090338.htm
0 Replies

Gold Barz

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 09:29 pm
if the omega is exactly 1, then the universe will be like this forever?
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 11:07 pm
Since the rate of expansion of the universe is accelerating, a big crunch does not appear to be possible.
0 Replies

Gold Barz

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 11:55 pm
i dont trust it, its all assumptions, nobody is 100% sure, so right now the answer should be insufficient data
0 Replies

Gold Barz

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 11:56 pm
i dont trust it, its all assumptions, nobody is 100% sure, so right now the answer should be insufficient data
0 Replies

Gold Barz

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 09:36 pm

i see, the universe might stop expanding, if it does happen it will probably contract
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 04:08 pm
Gold Barz, the article does not say that the universe might stop expanding, just that the RATE of expansion may decrease. Still no possibility of a Big Crunch or cyclic universe.
0 Replies

Gold Barz

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 12:13 pm
well if the rate of expansion is decreasing wouldnt it get to that point that it will stop, so theres a possibility of a cyclic universe right there, i see the universe as like a pendullum, its not gonna stop moving
0 Replies